Electronics Thread (Television and Sound Recommendations)

My nine year old TV is dying. Picture is fine, but it is having some kind of issue with on/off/power. Sometimes it spontaneously turns off, other times it won't turn on unless I unplug it and reconnect the power.

Anyway, it is/was a 55" 1080P Vizio LED. I want to keep the same size, presumably upgrade to 4k. I have no idea what else. I see acronyms like OLED, QLED, UHD, FHD - I don't even know what they are. Please respond ASAP as the malfunctions are accelerating and Walmart is having some crazy sale this weekend. Also keep in mind I'll probably take what's in stock given the current state of - waves hand at all that.

Recommend a display type, or brand , or model, whatever. Thanks.

Bought this one for my mother about a month ago, the picture is fantastic. But I’m not sure about anything else that your looking for. The Samsung smart tv platform needs some improvements imo but I’m sure with time it will become second nature. I know the link I sent was for bestbuy but we got hers at target. Pretty sure Walmart will carry it too. And I will say it again, the picture is fan-fricken-tastic.

Reactions: mgarbowski
LG C1, without a doubt. If you want something a little cheaper look for an older model like the C8 or C9. I have the C8 and it’s excellent on its fourth year.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
My nine year old TV is dying. Picture is fine, but it is having some kind of issue with on/off/power. Sometimes it spontaneously turns off, other times it won't turn on unless I unplug it and reconnect the power.

Anyway, it is/was a 55" 1080P Vizio LED. I want to keep the same size, presumably upgrade to 4k. I have no idea what else. I see acronyms like OLED, QLED, UHD, FHD - I don't even know what they are. Please respond ASAP as the malfunctions are accelerating and Walmart is having some crazy sale this weekend. Also keep in mind I'll probably take what's in stock given the current state of - waves hand at all that.

Recommend a display type, or brand , or model, whatever. Thanks.
I have a Samsung 6 Series 55" TV. Specifically the UN55MU630D. It's an LED display, 120 Hz, three HDMI inputs, which I'm pretty happy with. Got it at Costco for around maybe $600 a few years ago. Was a move up from a 40" Vizio. I tend to buy middle-of-the-line home electronics though so you can definitely spend more to get more.

A step up would be something like the C1 that's been mentioned. Those are around $1100 I think, main difference is they have OLED screens instead of LED. Brighter, sharper, blacker blacks, just nicer to look at. OLEDs are better, but they do add a good bit to the price. 4K is worth the extra over 1080P. Won't actually be that much more but it's worth it, especially with larger screen sizes. You can get higher resolution screens but the cost goes up pretty sharply and at least for now there's not much extra benefit. Ask again in five years though as we all my be thinking about 8K TVS. Number of HDMI inputs is also a factor. Some models cheap out and only give you two inputs. Three was my minimum but four would have been better, and that seems to be the standard nowadays I suppose. Also, check the stand/legs. A lot of the larger TVs have four legs in the corners, but with a 55" model that may be wider than your stand. That's one reason I chose my Samsung over some other similar models, because it had a center pedestal and would fit on my existing cart/table. Don't want to get your giant TV home and have it be too wide for your stand, ya know? Would not get a 60Hz refresh model nowadays, although probably most are now 120 Hz, but also probably don't need to spend extra on 240 Hz either although they're available. Lastly, would also recommend at least a sound bar. They make a big difference in the sound quality over the built-in speakers in most TVs.

Short version: at 55 inches a $400 TV will be OK, an $800 one will definitely be better, and a $1200 model will be better still but not required unless you want the nice one.

Technical concerns: OLED vs QLED doesn't really matter, mostly. Basically QLED uses a backlight and can be brighter, OLED doesn't need a backlight behind the screen so they can be thinner and also can have blacker blacks. As to the various HDs, 4K (sometimes called UHD) is probably what you want. It's double the resolution of your 1080p TV. And while 8K is better, heading into Apple's Retina display territory even at large screen sizes, it's more expensive for now and not much if anything content-wise is ready for 8K.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
LG C1, without a doubt. If you want something a little cheaper look for an older model like the C8 or C9. I have the C8 and it’s excellent on its fourth year.
I bought the C1 at LionNYC LionNYC 's suggestion last year and love it.

I bought the C1 at LionNYC LionNYC 's suggestion last year and love it.
This is where I'm currently leaning. I was very tempted by the lower end recommendation from JCMore JCMore and Seth Seth made a good case for midrange. But the C1 really seems to be a consensus pick everywhere. I'm not sure the ratio of extra quality/features to dollars makes sense, but I can't resist it.
Every vendor seems to have the same price within a small range of variation, so I'll probably get it from B&H because I have their credit card that refunds the sales tax. I just have to wait until late Monday because they are closed all weekend for the holiday.

Last edited:
I just went through this thread history which was more amusing than I expected.
JayH JayH has bought at least 3 TVs in the last 5 years.
I think I have probably asked the most questions.
I believe Seth Seth is the most consistent advice-giver, though many others have offered helpful responses.
LionNYC LionNYC just keeps recommending LG and cashing those sweet influencer checks.

@
LionNYC
LionNYC just keeps recommending LG and cashing those sweet influencer checks.
I think the reason is obvious.

lionLGjersety.png

Thanks mgarbowski mgarbowski for reminding me this thread exists.

Anyone have suggestions for outdoor speakers? I'm not an audiophile. Just need something for your basic backyard gatherings. Thoughts?

ETA: Bluetooth required.

Last edited:
Thanks mgarbowski mgarbowski for reminding me this thread exists.

Anyone have suggestions for outdoor speakers? I'm not an audiophile. Just need something for your basic backyard gatherings. Thoughts?

ETA: Bluetooth required.
Coincidentally I am getting some recommendations this week (hopefully) for this from an audio shop. I will relay any thoughts. I know some folks who like the Sonos perma outdoor set up, but interested to check out the options.

Maybe all the electronic manufacturers are doing this now - but the way LG set up the box so that you pull the box up away from the contents instead of pulling the heavy and fragile contents out of the box, without actively cutting the bottom open, felt like magic.

Reactions: moogoo
Maybe all the electronic manufacturers are doing this now - but the way LG set up the box so that you pull the box up away from the contents instead of pulling the heavy and fragile contents out of the box, without actively cutting the bottom open, felt like magic.
Samsung did this as well if you are interested to know

Samsung did this as well if you are interested to know
Thanks. I am interested, but I'm not surprised. It's such a simple obvious trick even though AFAIK nobody used it until somewhat recently. It's probably too obvious to be patented, so no reason everyone would not copy it. Or maybe they all buy from the same box company.

Thanks. I am interested, but I'm not surprised. It's such a simple obvious trick even though AFAIK nobody used it until somewhat recently. It's probably too obvious to be patented, so no reason everyone would not copy it. Or maybe they all buy from the same box company.
It's not so common with consumer electronics because they're generally small, although TVs are heading towards room-sized, but sometimes server room equipment comes this way. They're large and heavy and also fragile, so the less handling the better when it comes to unpacking. Also large appliances as well. Basically something large or heavy enough to come on a pallet equivalent is a candidate for raising the box rather than lifting the contents.

It's not so common with consumer electronics because they're generally small, although TVs are heading towards room-sized, but sometimes server room equipment comes this way. They're large and heavy and also fragile, so the less handling the better when it comes to unpacking. Also large appliances as well. Basically something large or heavy enough to come on a pallet equivalent is a candidate for raising the box rather than lifting the contents.
I've seen the appliance guys do it. But I never focused on how they opened the bottom of the box. It wasn't until I did it myself that the magic was apparent.

I've seen the appliance guys do it. But I never focused on how they opened the bottom of the box. It wasn't until I did it myself that the magic was apparent.
Exactly! The logistics of things has always fascinated me, ever since I was a little kid. I mean, think about it. You have a factory of refrigerators and you need to send some to PC Richards (the TV/Audio/Appliance Giants™). So you put them each on a pallet, toss a plastic bag over the top, put corrugated cardboard corners on the top, and possibly strap some on the edges in the middle as well, put the box on from above, and then you have to load 20 of them on a truck. Can your lift gate hold a forklift? Not sure, so maybe you need to have a lift jack instead, a fusion of one of those NASCAR-style tire-changing jacks crossed with a forklift. Reverse the process at the store. "Un-reverse" the reversal when you need it put on a truck to be delivered to your house, and then "un-un-reverse" that with a couple of delivery people when they get there. There's a lot of logistics involved in getting a 250 pound fridge delivered, and the box is only one small part of it.

A related sort of question: how many knishes can the knish stand possibly sell to make it worth it for them to open for NYCFC matches? Same idea, and I often wonder how places like that do it. Like candle stores, for instance, or weird tiny mall stores.

Everything in the world is basically logistics of one kind or another, and it's *all* magic.

Anyway, back in a bit, going to YouTube to find yet another how-to video or something.

Coincidentally I am getting some recommendations this week (hopefully) for this from an audio shop. I will relay any thoughts. I know some folks who like the Sonos perma outdoor set up, but interested to check out the options.
FootyLovin FootyLovin I ended up keeping it simple with Sonos Move. The more permanent set-up was going to require too much construction and wiring. I already have the Sonos set up in the house with the amplifiers, etc., so it was an easy solution (and substantially cheaper). It sounds surprisingly good for what it is.

Reactions: FootyLovin
LionNYC LionNYC you are my tv guy. Need another - any thoughts on the latest? Open to thoughts from all. Been enjoying the LG LionNYC LionNYC recommended but that was a year or two ago.