Espn: Chicago Fire Inquiring About Chicharito

lol ya right, we are probably signing his crippled third cousin who goes by the same name to a DP-level contract with HG-level money.

Seriously, even with the whole Lampard thing, at least NYCFC had a player like that to have a dispute about.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
And this is where the salary cap actually HELPS the league.

With the financial troubles a lot of the Mexican clubs are having, it is nice for MLS to poke it's head out and be a player for a guy like this. Sure they can't get Cristiano Ronaldo, but the league has done a decent job of making targeted investments in players who are game changers for the league - Dempsey, Bradley, Beckham, Jones, Cubo.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
And this is where the salary cap actually HELPS the league.

With the financial troubles a lot of the Mexican clubs are having, it is nice for MLS to poke it's head out and be a player for a guy like this. Sure they can't get Cristiano Ronaldo, but the league has done a decent job of making targeted investments in players who are game changers for the league - Dempsey, Bradley, Beckham, Jones, Cubo.

Scratch Bradley. He's still not right. What an awful year all around for him. Beckhan was worthless his first season here, just like Deuce. Kreis wasn't just making shit up. I can't think of one big time mid-season DP addition who actually improved his team before Jermaine Jones. And everyone who had watched MLS and JJ play knew how that would turn out. He is literally the perfect MLS midfielder.

All of that said, yes, it is nice to have a league that isn't broke. Chicharito is exactly the type of player MLS should be buying. He's not too old, he's quite good and he's marketable. I'd take him any day before Lampard. I want a good league with good players, not a half-decent league who wastes money on old guys who can't play a full 90.

Scratch Bradley. He's still not right. What an awful year all around for him. Beckhan was worthless his first season here, just like Deuce. Kreis wasn't just making shit up. I can't think of one big time mid-season DP addition who actually improved his team before Jermaine Jones. And everyone who had watched MLS and JJ play knew how that would turn out. He is literally the perfect MLS midfielder.

All of that said, yes, it is nice to have a league that isn't broke. Chicharito is exactly the type of player MLS should be buying. He's not too old, he's quite good and he's marketable. I'd take him any day before Lampard. I want a good league with good players, not a half-decent league who wastes money on old guys who can't play a full 90.
To be fair, I'd take any Real Madrid player without even thinking about it regardless of who it was before Lampard.

I think what it says is MLS is looking to bring in top young talent. I also think what it means is MLS needs to jack up the salary cap A LOT and add another DP. This is good news for us as fans. Yes he turned it down, but the fact that the league is inquiring about such highly regarded international talent is good news for the future.

Reactions: Kjbert
Chicharito is 26, big difference. You don't really think MLS is his best option for a big contract?

I don't know. But the fact that MLS contacted him leads me to believe that MLS thinks they can outbid other suitors.

He's not going to play for Man U or Real Madrid. His ceiling is probably somewhere mid-table in EPL or anything past the Big Three in La Liga. OR he could head to Mexico or MLS. I'm confident that MLS could offer him more money than Aston Villa or Sevilla.

I don't know. But the fact that MLS contacted him leads me to believe that MLS thinks they can outbid other suitors.

He's not going to play for Man U or Real Madrid. His ceiling is probably somewhere mid-table in EPL or anything past the Big Three in La Liga. OR he could head to Mexico or MLS. I'm confident that MLS could offer him more money than Aston Villa or Sevilla.
I'm not so sure about that.

Looking at the salaries Aston Villa has 8 players that make atleast as much as the top 10 in the MLS, and that is taking into consideration that Villa has a bit more money they could spend, plus the new TV deal that is going to give clubs a whole lot more money.

With that said, I think Villa would be a bad choice anyway, because he could go to a better placed Premier League team like Southampton, Everton, or even Arsenal or Liverpool. All of which could pay him more money.

Chicharito is 26, big difference. You don't really think MLS is his best option for a big contract?
Yes. Because MLS would overpay him greatly simply due to his marketability. Most other clubs in Europe don't have the same desire to cater to a Mexican audience or satisfy a large contract with Univison. So, because his value to MLS would be higher than his value to Euro clubs, I do believe MLS would give him the biggest contract. MLS/Chicago Fire would likely break even on additional sponsorship revenue alone.
And FYI, I do believe Chicago has a massive Mexican population, possibly the biggest outside of Texas and SoCal.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe. But what is Chicharito worth to this league? Probably as much as Stevie G.

Reactions: 413Blue