Fan research to improve MLS

layla_sss

Registered
Oct 22, 2016
Greetings, this post had been approved by NYCFC_DAN to post on NYC FC Supporters forum.

My name is Yiran Su. I am a young PhD student in Sport at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA.
I am interested in soccer fan behavior between US Fans and their Favorite European Teams and MLS Teams.

I am conducting an online survey that is easily available online and is run on Qualtrics - an online survey hosting site.

It would be a great help if you take my survey and further my progress as a student. A $100 Amazon gift card will be raffled out to everyone who completes the survey and provides a valid email address. In exchange for your support, I will share my results with fans here. These results will illuminate how American soccer fans follow the European teams and how MLS team could do better to attract and retain fans. The survey can be found at the following link:
http://templesthm.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0Os7ohH5CU0rVqt

Thank you!

How interested are you in researching a English guy following the MLS as the 2nd league and being a NYCFC supporter

I'm a Manchester United fan, live about a hour away from the ground, go regularly roughly once a month

I would assume that that would skew the results - it's a survey about US attitudes after all - or I would do the survey too. That said, layla_sss layla_sss has the final say, obviously.

Reactions: shane88
I started it. Take a cup of coffee if you plan to participate. I made it through 5 minutes, and I had barely scratched the surface. #closetab

One of the reasons why I started to follow Dundee United is because following Dundee United provided a temporary escape from life’s problems.

One of the reasons why I started to follow Dundee United is because following Dundee United provided a temporary escape from my day-to-day problems.

One of the reasons why I started to follow Dundee United is because following Dundee United provided a temporary escape from life’s hassles.

maybe don't keep asking the same question, dude....

Also, where is the answer for "Dundee United is often the cause of my day-t0-day problems"?

Ha - I follow the EPL a bit but do not support a specific team. When it started asking me questions about my team "None Specifically" I closed the browser.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
One of the reasons why I started to follow Dundee United is because following Dundee United provided a temporary escape from life’s problems.

One of the reasons why I started to follow Dundee United is because following Dundee United provided a temporary escape from my day-to-day problems.

One of the reasons why I started to follow Dundee United is because following Dundee United provided a temporary escape from life’s hassles.

maybe don't keep asking the same question, dude....

Also, where is the answer for "Dundee United is often the cause of my day-t0-day problems"?
That's why I quit. It was honestly a really poor survey. I have an undergrad major in psych, and that shit wouldn't get you out of a 200 level class. I was being nice before. But now that you bring it up, what a poor, poor effort for graduate level work. Good thing I didn't respect Temple anyway. Would have lost it then.

Reactions: Jock
That's why I quit. It was honestly a really poor survey. I have an undergrad major in psych, and that shit wouldn't get you out of a 200 level class. I was being nice before. But now that you bring it up, what a poor, poor effort for graduate level work. Good thing I didn't respect Temple anyway. Would have lost it then.
I finished it. I was also a Psych major (double major in Radio, of all things) with a side interest in testing and statistics. It wasn't a bad survey per se but there were a few holes in its assumptions that could easily trip them up. The biggest one is assuming you're a fan of a team rather than a fan of the sport. I went for years watching EPL matches on weekend mornings before I accidentally became a Man City fan. I happened to be a soccer fan so I watched a lot of the games back then, same as I do now. So if you don't happen to have a favorite team the survey can easily fall apart, for example.

So yeah, it could end up being weird but I'd say to try it anyway. I always like to do surveys to help out the people who set them up as it's tough to get people to do them, mostly likely because I worked my way through high school doing phone surveys for a job and it was pretty tough. Hopefully they'll look at the early results and redesign it a little to make it make more sense if you fall into one of the holes in their original reasoning.

I finished it. I was also a Psych major (double major in Radio, of all things) with a side interest in testing and statistics. It wasn't a bad survey per se but there were a few holes in its assumptions that could easily trip them up. The biggest one is assuming you're a fan of a team rather than a fan of the sport. I went for years watching EPL matches on weekend mornings before I accidentally became a Man City fan. I happened to be a soccer fan so I watched a lot of the games back then, same as I do now. So if you don't happen to have a favorite team the survey can easily fall apart, for example.

So yeah, it could end up being weird but I'd say to try it anyway. I always like to do surveys to help out the people who set them up as it's tough to get people to do them, mostly likely because I worked my way through high school doing phone surveys for a job and it was pretty tough. Hopefully they'll look at the early results and redesign it a little to make it make more sense if you fall into one of the holes in their original reasoning.
It's too fucking long and detailed. Jock parodied it perfectly. No one is still paying attention past page 1.

Of course, this is coming from the hospitality school, not even a soft science background. I still say just ignore and move along and wait for a real scientist to sort out some data.

Eta: I was biz adm.

I finished it 'cause I have a hard time quitting on obligations but agreed on methodological issues already raised.

RE: not quitting, note selection bias towards fans of shitty teams. Leeds fan here o_O