Finding The Best Songs #1

Which Songs/Chants Do You Like (Pick as many as you like)

• Total voters

MyBoyVilla

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
Manhattan
twitter.com
With hundreds of songs and chants spread out over tens of threads, I figured we have enough ideas to start narrowing down and finding the best ones. So far we have a had a good system for nominating songs, but not for choosing our favorites. So, my idea, is to go through all the song suggestions, 10 at a time, and compile a list of the most popular and well-liked ideas. At the end of this process, we should have a solid list of songs to work from.

Vote for each and every song you like in the poll above, and the ones with a significant amount of votes after 1 week will be added to a list I will curate over the next few months.

Without further ado:

(NOTE: You can click the Tune/Song name for a link to Youtube video of the song)

#1: Here's To You NYCFC

Lyrics:

"Here's to you NYCFC, New York loves you more than you will knoooowwww wooooaaaaa and here's to you NYCFC New York loves you more than you will knooooowwwww wooooaa"

Tune: Vincent Kompany Song

User: NYCFC_Dan

#2 Blue Skies

Song:
Blue Skies by Irving Berlin

User: NYisBLUE

#3 Only One Team

Lyrics:

THERE'S ONLY ONE TEAM IN NEW YORK!!!
ONE TEAM IN NEW YORKKKK,
THERE'S ONLY ONE TEAM IN NEW YORK,
ONE TEAM IN NEW YORK.

User: Buckley

#4 New York, New York

Song:
New York, New York by Frank Sinatra

User: Gene

#5 Roll Call

Chant:
Yankees Roll Call

User: Vito

#6 The Hands That Built America

Song:
The Hands That Built America by U2

User: Vinjay

#7 Stay Young

Song:
Stay Young by Oasis

User: Vinjay

#8 Baby Blue

Song:
Baby Blue by Badfinger

User: Johnny

#9 I Believe

Song:
I Believe That We Will Win

User: NYCFCFan10

#10 New York City

Song:
New York City by Emigrate

User: Justin Z

Bonus: College Basketball Chants

I can't be bothered to list them all out, but here is a Youtube compilation of the best college basketball chants, feel free to recommend any you like in particular: link

Not really a fan of any of these. But I'll go with Simon amd Garfunkel, Here's to You Mrs Robinson/NYC FC because S&G are folk masters and NYers.

Reactions: CTNYCFC and Coop
Not really a fan of any of these. But I'll go with Simon amd Garfunkel, Here's to You Mrs Robinson/NYC FC because S&G are folk masters and NYers.
Fair enough. I am sure we will get to songs you like as we go through the suggestions. Not sure if enough people can be bothered to look through this every week, but if we get a decent amount of traffic on this thread it may be a big help.

Otherwise, the flavor of the week songs will be forgotten, as were the songs we liked in the past, and those before them.

Personally, I voted for:

The roll call, because I thought it would be a fitting tip of the hat to NYY, and something unique and simple that everyone would join in.

I believe that we will win, having chanted that in Columbus for Dos a Cero 2013, it came out really well.

But my favorite of these 10 was New York City by Emigrate, which actually had a lot of support in the early days in this thread, and is the kind of music I generally enjoy. "Now we just feel that energy! New York City is the place to be!" Sounds really cool to me.

I like the Emigrate song too. In terms of crowd singing I think S&G is a better fit.

I'm sure people will casually check out the posts every week. Hopefully the SG uses it as an opportunity to see what people are liking...consistantly.

Thanks for doing this btw.

It gets worse. During the meet, it was unveiled that the songs/chants will be under the direction of two specfic people: @Numz15 lawson lawson . I guess all we can do is hope they don't turn it into some English clone.

People need to realize that you sing CHANTS at the games, not SONGS. we gotta pick an anthem that will be a SONG, but everything else needs to be short and original - not a Song. Sinatra is terrible for anthem, but Sunday Morning New York Blue chorus is on point!

People need to realize that you sing CHANTS at the games, not SONGS. we gotta pick an anthem that will be a SONG, but everything else needs to be short and original - not a Song. Sinatra is terrible for anthem, but Sunday Morning New York Blue chorus is on point!
Songs was meant as an overall word to include all in-match vocal expression.

Reactions: einwindir
I want to reiterate my previous point by saying that I hope we won't be singing songs during the matches, especially songs of popular artists. That is what chants are for. There is absolutely no chance that we will get a great atmosphere in the stadium if only the core supporters sing. The vast majority of the fans will not be attending every game, and will not feel like part of "umbrella" if our chants are long and complex. I really hope that everybody here understands me when I say that songs only have place during pre- and post-match periods. Throughout the match we should be singing chants that short and have a pattern. Those are easy to remember for all fans.
For example, during the NHL season, I'm a Devils fan. I don't go to a lot of home games, but whenever I do, I know that when Devils score, fans start chanting "Hey, you suck!" to the opposition. I figured that out after my first game.
On the other hand, European teams that have songs as well as chants, don't sing them randomly throughout the match. They do it right before the kick of, right after the end of the match, and some songs are appropriate after the team scores(those songs should be fast and invigorating, like Tottenham's Spurs Go Marching In)
All of this makes me wonder how the majority of songs on the list above is even acceptable. We shouldn't pick a song just because it has NY in the title or somewhere in the lyrics. That's just lazy.
If we do go that direction, however, I wanted to remind everybody about the chorus from Rob Thomas's "Sunday Morning New York Blue" which would be appropriate for post-match period,
Another Saturday is over
And here comes Sunday shining through
And I can stay right here forever
Sunday morning New York blue

Last edited:
I am going through the ideas ten by ten, without making my own personal judgements on whether I like them. My opinion or your opinion is no more important than anyone elses, so we put it up for a vote. You made it clear what types of chants you want, I am sure others will agree and disagree.

Lets use this tool to figure out what we want as a group, not what one individual decides the 'rules' should be for picking songs.

I want to reiterate my previous point by saying that I hope we won't be singing songs during the matches, especially songs of popular artists. That is what chants are for. There is absolutely no chance that we will get a great atmosphere in the stadium if only the core supporters sing. The vast majority of the fans will not be attending every game, and will not feel like part of "umbrella" if our chants are long and complex. I really hope that everybody here understands me when I say that songs only have place during pre- and post-match periods. Throughout the match we should be singing chants that short and have a pattern. Those are easy to remember for all fans.
For example, during the NHL season, I'm a Devils fan. I don't go to a lot of home games, but whenever I do, I know that when Devils score, fans start chanting "Hey, you suck!" to the opposition. I figured that out after my first game.
On the other hand, European teams that have songs as well as chants, don't sing them randomly throughout the match. They do it right before the kick of, right after the end of the match, and some songs are appropriate after the team scores(those songs should be fast and invigorating, like Tottenham's Spurs Go Marching In)
All of this makes me wonder how the majority of songs on the list above is even acceptable. We shouldn't pick a song just because it has NY in the title or somewhere in the lyrics. That's just lazy.
I get what you're saying but I think you've missed the point.

The point of an anthem is to sing before a match. During the March, during the walk-up, after win, after we lose. Whenever.

Also, these songs are a small fraction of all the ones we've compiled over the last few months. Some are great, some are terrible. The point of MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity post was to compile a list and sort out the shit.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
In the end, everything should be decided by Supporters, and not by any single individual. I'm just voicing my opinion. I'm all for an anthem, btw.