Formation Speculation

I think we are still missing 2-3 starters, with DP#3, a loanee or two, and maybe another international signing or two under the DP threshold.

And the players we netted are super flexible. I'm finding it even more difficult to mock out a formation now than I did before the expansion draft, surprisingly.

EDIT: I've read that Kreis' diamond plays pretty narrow, maybe something like this?

5488e92262531.jpg
I think this is the lineup with DP#3 being a creative midfielder at the top of the diamond. This team is going to be surprising deep assuming they are able to add a few starting caliber internationals in the next month or so. Add in the superdraft pick and this team will have a ton of depth.

Reactions: Paul
I agreed with sbrylski that is the type of formation we will see. If John is still hurt, and earl reports say maybe by April he will go, I bet we see Wingert in CB and Brovsky and Williams as fullbacks. Wingert doesn't have the pace any more but he is a decent CB.

Is Williams' natural position at RB or LB? Same question for Brovsky. Thanks

also did a quick salary cap sub total, so far NYCFC is at $2.5M if you add another DP at $387,500 we are up to $2.9M , not much room left at the current $3.1M salary cap number. Wild card of course is allocation money and the new CBA

Reactions: Kjbert
also did a quick salary cap sub total, so far NYCFC is at $2.5M if you add another DP at $387,500 we are up to $2.9M , not much room left at the current $3.1M salary cap number. Wild card of course is allocation money and the new CBA

I think this rumored Calle fella is going to come in under the DP threshold because the allocation money NYCFC has acquired will be used to buy down his cap hit. Also, the CBA will definitely raise the salary cap (hopefully to at least $4 million).

I think this rumored Calle fella is going to come in under the DP threshold because the allocation money NYCFC has acquired will be used to buy down his cap hit. Also, the CBA will definitely raise the salary cap (hopefully to at least $4 million).
I think you are right about Calle but I would expect them to still use the 3rd DP spot on a much higher priced player, hopefully a #10 to play the top of the diamond. Its crazy but in year 1 this team is a piece of two from being very good. Also, need some luck in terms of George John and Mcnamara making full recoveries.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
I think you are right about Calle but I would expect them to still use the 3rd DP spot on a much higher priced player, hopefully a #10 to play the top of the diamond. Its crazy but in year 1 this team is a piece of two from being very good. Also, need some luck in terms of George John and Mcnamara making full recoveries.

Agreed, I hope the 3rd DP is a big acquisition. A club with the ambition of NYCFC should be using those DP spots to full effect and by that I mean paying millions to a Villa/Lampard type player (although hopefully younger this time).

Agreed, I hope the 3rd DP is a big acquisition. A club with the ambition of NYCFC should be using those DP spots to full effect and by that I mean paying millions to a Villa/Lampard type player (although hopefully younger this time).
If they do go with an American for the DP the only real big American Star out there they can get is Jozy .

Just personal, I can't stand Jozy. Might be good, might not, but I hate his game. He has little positional sense and doesn't create his own chances.
also, he just doesnt fit a team need at this point, villa and mullins up top are more than sufficient as starters, in my opinion need a playmaker to get them the ball. NYCFC can find another capable forward for depth for much less money especially if godsway is coming. Real playmakers that play with creativity and link the midfield and forward are much harder to find. seems to be the one glaring hole as of right now on this team. Hoping the last DP fills tha the hole

A traditional 4-4-2 diamond has a destroyer DM, look no further than Kreis's love child Kyle Beckerman at RSL. I'm not seeing how Lampard AND Xavi even fit in a diamond formation. Maybe Xavi can play CAM but he and Frank L can't play LM/RM at least not comfortably.
As we begin adding more players, it'll be fun to predict how we are going to line up on day one.

I know Kries is known for the 4-4-2 diamond, but his CFG bosses may push for him to adapt a little to their style. I'm definitely not an expert on CFG's style of play, but I'm going to speculate that, should we officially sign Xavi and Lampard, we are likely to lineup best in a 4-3-3.

Given their age, I don't necessarily want to see either of them in a pure attacking midfielder role, having to be quick and sprint much of the game. They both would probably play better as holding midfielders, but could either be a "destroyer?" In any event, they have so much technical skill that they should be able to succeed in a number of roles until their physical skills die.

I think it will depend on the makeup of the rest of the team, but I'll throw out a guess. Assuming we sign Xavi and Lampard, I think we are still in the market for Kries' signature destroyer. Therefore, we slot best into the 4-3-3 at the moment, like this:

---LW------Villa------RW---
---------------------------
-------Xavi----Lampard-----
------------CDM------------
-Brovsky--CB----CB-----RB--

Villa plays in more of a false nine, acting as a creative goal scoring threat in the middle of the attack. The CDM destroyer and CB's will be top priorities for the next acquisitions, and then we would turn our focus to fast, energetic, and young wingers, possibly on loan from MCFC (who would probably love their young attackers working with our center veteran triangle). This is the formation I would prefer right now, or at least seems more exciting than slotting Xavi and Lampard into the middle of a 4-4-2.

But again, the first few signings after all our DP's are announced should really give us more insight. If we sign a destroyer type, I think a 4-3-3 is in order. If we sign a big target striker or poacher who would work well along side Villa in the front, that might signal a 4-4-2 with one of Xavi/Lamps filling the CDM role.

Am I wrong about City's style of play? Is it more certain that we are going to have a striker pair up front than my proposal?

if pozo was one of the young guys coming over from MCFC (probably won't be), this formation would really make sense.

I dont think there is much to speculate regarding formaiton, Kreis seems to be pretty adamant about playing a 4-4-2 diamond.

Reading about the Calle guy from Colombia, sounds like a great fit. right sided CM, sounds like it fits perfectly with what Kreis wants, and he wouldn't be a DP
-----------------------Meara/Saunders---------------------
Williams/Brovsky---KWS/John-----Hernandez----Wingert
------------------Grabavoy/Jacobsen-----------------
------Calle--------------------------------Lampard-----------
-----------------------DP3/Xavi--------------------------
------------Mullins----------------Villa-----------------

Everything I've read about him says DP3. Why do you say he wouldn't be a DP?