Formation Speculation

I've always liked Poku as a forward, but more as a wing, where he can run at people. He'd need to do some real tracking back on defense, however.

I don't see Mix playing deep on defense. He has to be more box-to-box.

I agree on the offensive side this would be a great spot for him but it would require a system change. The current system has the wings playing a lot of D, something we all agree Poku doesn't do.

Mini Poku rant that I'm sure will be very unpopular. Poku is flat out lazy on defense and it's infuriating. A 24 year old, trying to earn a spot in the starting 11 should be giving it his all on both ends for every min he earns. I can understand the things he still needs to learn like positioning but defense is largely effort. Our 30+ year old superstars Villa and Pirlo play considerably more D than Poku. People are killing Mix for not coming to the ball hard twice last night but everyone loves lazy Poku. If any other player on the team played defense for even 10 min of the game like Poku does every time he's on the field we would all be calling for their head.

If you don't understand what Mix brings to the team go watch a replay of any game this season where Mix played. Then every time you see an opposing player in the midfield dribbling in space with no NYCFC player in the picture wait to see who comes flying into the screen, 8 times out of 10 it will be Mix. It's like clock work you can literally start saying the phrase "here comes Mix" and by the time your half way through it he will appear on the screen.

I've always liked Poku as a forward, but more as a wing, where he can run at people. He'd need to do some real tracking back on defense, however.

I've never agreed with Poku on the wing. Both for the defensive concerns as already brought up, plus the fact that your wings need to run a lot, and run fast. Poku isn't particularly fast, nor does he have very much endurance.

He's quick. Quick and powerful. Villa has had plenty of opportunities to dribble at people from the CF role, Poku would have them too.

Again, I agree with the coaching staff that Poku's ceiling is higher as a midfielder. He has a physical and technical skillset that could take him very far from that position. But it seems like it would be 100 times easier to mold Poku into a forward at this point. And twice as effective given NYCFC's needs.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, at CF he kind of reminds me of Altidore. Powerful and athletic, but not too much straight line speed. Ok touch with the ball. Will never be world class, but can be solid up there.

I think it's a bit unfortunate for PV that he's got a great style that will give better results away than at home. Pirlo needs space to play the ball to players -- he's not a tikitaka kinda passer. He can still get it done, but the dimensions of YS really hinder his best ability. I hate to think of not playing him, but....

Reactions: Kjbert
Pirlo has been a top 4 player for us this year. I would say Matarrita has been the best - by a wide margin.

Then you can argue Pirlo, Bravo and Mix in some order.

I think it's a bit unfortunate for PV that he's got a great style that will give better results away than at home. Pirlo needs space to play the ball to players -- he's not a tikitaka kinda passer. He can still get it done, but the dimensions of YS really hinder his best ability. I hate to think of not playing him, but....

It would be terribly inefficient money-wise, but seeing as it's a sunk cost, it might be appropriate to play Lampard at home where he doesn't have to run as much, and Pirlo on the road, where he can utilize the space of the pitch.

F: Taylor, Villa, Mendoza (or mix in Shelton, Mullins, and Poku at your leisure)
M: Lampard (H)/Pirlo (A), Mix, McNamara
D: Matarrita, Hernandez, Brillant, Iraola

Last night's game has my riled up yet, so I'm going to keep throwing suggestions at the wall here. What happened to that rumored 3-3-4? If we want to start scoring goals again, let's throw our best players in an overloaded attack:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

If those five players getting service from Pirlo can't score, we might as well just give up.

Last night's game has my riled up yet, so I'm going to keep throwing suggestions at the wall here. What happened to that rumored 3-3-4? If we want to start scoring goals again, let's throw our best players in an overloaded attack:

If those five players getting service from Pirlo can't score, we might as well just give up.

It's interesting. You could even start in a 4-3-3 with Mata at LB and Poku at CF. Then when the other team parks the bus in the 10th min because of the Yankee stadium field you shift into this to attack and try to break things down.

Ran a 3-3-4 at the end of the Orlando game (Mullins on for Tommy Mac), didn't get a goal out of it

Reactions: Kjbert

Not sure exactly where to put this, so I figured here is as good as any.

Apropos to the pros and cons of having Pirlo on our roster, does this any way affect his chances of leaving the team and heading to the Euros? Yes? No? Doesn't change a thing?
Wondered the the same when I heard the news. Don't know enough about the Azzuri's midfield to answer.

Reactions: Gene
Here's a thought..... if we're in need of a goal in the last few minutes of a game that we're clearly keeping control but can't quite score, and we still have one substitution left to make.... why not sub Lurch in as a field player and cross balls to him in the box? Let him use that 6'-7" height to get his head on the ball. He's also good with his feet, so I bet he could shoot without looking like a hobbled duck like Saunders if the ball was played on the ground.

at 235lbs and 6'-7" how many CB's can actually match up with him on set pieces?

Here's a thought..... if we're in need of a goal in the last few minutes of a game that we're clearly keeping control but can't quite score, and we still have one substitution left to make.... why not sub Lurch in as a field player and cross balls to him in the box? Let him use that 6'-7" height to get his head on the ball. He's also good with his feet, so I bet he could shoot without looking like a hobbled duck like Saunders if the ball was played on the ground.

You are correct. That is a thought.

Hmm. Why not have him train at forward? The Nordic Peter Crouch!

My line up for the weekend

Taylor - Villa - Shelton
Bravo-Pirlo-Mix
RM-Hernandez-Brillant-Iraola
Saunders

I would look to give Poku 30 minutes from the bench, he needs to get more of a look

Not long to Jack Harrison is back, really looking forward to seeing a follow Brit perform in the MLS

EOS reported this week that Bravo was seeing time in the 4-3-3 at CB. Harrison is eligible to return for the Philly game but he was held out of practice the other day for "rest" and PV has said that he is unsure if he will make the 18.