Forum Folks I'd like to have a beer with

My Mrs will likely be in tow, they can commiserate
Except that my Mrs typically asks, "if the game is at 7pm, why do we need to get there at 6? can't we just arrive at a quarter til 7? and don't these games always start 15 minutes late anyway?"

Yeah, I've heard that line of questions enough to know not to push it. The following Friday is a better bet.

While I'll be at Dallas, I don't think I'll be able to pregame with the Mrs in tow. However the following Friday night, with the game starting at 8, I should be able to grab a beer beforehand.

Plus, adam adam owes me a beer (or two for that game winner) compliments of Super Cookie Burger.

So I guess beers on me Friday night vs Chicago. Now where can I find a goddamn cookieburger...

Bugger, I'm out of town for the Dallas game. If anyone's after 2 tickets, LMK though. One of these days I'll make a forums meetup...

I'm always at YB&G (Big! Ass! Beeahs!) and often wonder who else there posts on the regular. Maybe for the Dallas game I'll print up a little sign to tape above the table I'm at and we can talk amongst ourselves.

Reactions: Goodfella
Do tell! I'm intrigued!
I think the first, most natural human reaction when a list like yours is posted is to want to know, am I on the list? There's actually a lot of research that when groups form the first question that the members wrestle with is inclusion. Am I part of the group? Do I want to be a part of it? Do I want those other people to be a part of it?

This can happen overtly or covertly and while these inclusion questions generally get settled early on in a group's life, they frequently pop back up throughout the life of the group.

One place you can see this is in posts where people dismiss newbies. They are basically saying, you aren't included yet. Maybe you are allowed to be on the site, but you aren't part of the inner circle.

Another place this happened is was when a powerful and respected member of our tribe chose to leave. His statement that he no longer wanted to be included kicked up lots of psychological issues for our group who (a) still wanted to include him and (b) may have felt some internal conflict in which his departure caused us to question our own desire to maintain our inclusion in this group.

All of this has deep routes in evolution as well. Evolutionarily the greatest risk to survival was being cast out of a strong group. So we are predisposed to want to be included and to want to maintain strong boundaries of keeping strong members and making it difficult for weak members to join.

So your list in effect stated - here is a new measure of inclusion - an inner inner circle. Some of us were included. Some of us weren't. From an ego standpoint it likely kicked up (consciously for some, unconsciously for others) pride, hurt, insecurity, happiness. I love group dynamics and find it fascinating to watch those and other emotions play out - in myself and in others.

I think the first, most natural human reaction when a list like yours is posted is to want to know, am I on the list? There's actually a lot of research that when groups form the first question that the members wrestle with is inclusion. Am I part of the group? Do I want to be a part of it? Do I want those other people to be a part of it?

This can happen overtly or covertly and while these inclusion questions generally get settled early on in a group's life, they frequently pop back up throughout the life of the group.

One place you can see this is in posts where people dismiss newbies. They are basically saying, you aren't included yet. Maybe you are allowed to be on the site, but you aren't part of the inner circle.

Another place this happened is was when a powerful and respected member of our tribe chose to leave. His statement that he no longer wanted to be included kicked up lots of psychological issues for our group who (a) still wanted to include him and (b) may have felt some internal conflict in which his departure caused us to question our own desire to maintain our inclusion in this group.

All of this has deep routes in evolution as well. Evolutionarily the greatest risk to survival was being cast out of a strong group. So we are predisposed to want to be included and to want to maintain strong boundaries of keeping strong members and making it difficult for weak members to join.

So your list in effect stated - here is a new measure of inclusion - an inner inner circle. Some of us were included. Some of us weren't. From an ego standpoint it likely kicked up (consciously for some, unconsciously for others) pride, hurt, insecurity, happiness. I love group dynamics and find it fascinating to watch those and other emotions play out - in myself and in others.

fascinating stuff! thanks for the reply. honestly not my intent to exclude anyone and the better approach probably would have been to make a general 'let's have a beer on the 17th' post without tagging anyone.

Very much looking forward to Professor FootyLovin's next lecture at the beer get-together!

fascinating stuff! thanks for the reply. honestly not my intent to exclude anyone and the better approach probably would have been to make a general 'let's have a beer on the 17th' post without tagging anyone.
Very much looking forward to Professor FootyLovin's next lecture at the beer get-together!
:)

Like I said, I love this stuff. Group dynamics is one of the most fascinating things in the world to me.

Reactions: JayH and Goodfella
But then I wouldn't have gotten the ego boost from being included in the list - at the top, no less.

:D:D:D:D