Founding Members - If You Don't Sign Up For Autorenewal, You Lose Benefits

doctorhoosier

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Nov 13, 2014
Connecticut
I saw the e-mail from NYCFC about their new "Founding members" program, and contacted my ticket agent about it.

Per this new e-mail, they're rolling out a program to founding members called the "Founding City Membership". In this program, you're signed up for autorenewal from season to season, and have to give them thirty days notice in order to cancel. Part of this benefit is listed as the "guaranteed founding member pricing", which implied, to me, that the founding member pricing is only available with this autorenewal program.

As I could get moved for my job at any point, I'm not particularly interested in an autorenewal program. So I contacted my ticket rep and asked point blank if I lose my founding member benefits by not signing up for autorenewal: "Am I reading this right that in order to get my founding member benefits (the lower prices, access, etc), I have to sign up for auto-renewal of tickets?"

I got a response from my ticket rep (who I really like, for the record) that "Yes, it's an autorenewal program, but you can cancel at any time with 30 days notice," and that it's "very cutting edge."

Springing a bullshit, mandatory autorenew on founding members after a season where we don't get playoff games is a load of crap. I've had too many bad experiences with autorenewing programs and websites to feel particularly comfortable, especially knowing that this club has a strong tendency of springing crap on us with zero notice.

I'm giving the ticket rep the opportunity to clarify, but telling me I lose the benefits I received on signing up unless I click the "autorenewal" button is a garbage move.

What "auto-renewal" button are you referring to? From my understanding, you are automatically enrolled in the program as soon as you submit payment, and then finalized after signing the enrollment form being sent to you within 72 hours thereafter.

If the fact of the matter is you want to renew for 2016, but not for 2017 - considering payments are spread out over 10 months for 2016 - you have ample time to tell them if you don't want to renew in 2017 - by July or so.

I personally don't see this as a big deal. Spreading out payments over the year actually makes it easier on the wallet. I'm paying $80 or so ($110 for the first payment) a month, which isn't bad for an entertainment expense. Plus, any games I haven't gone to this year have been sold for over face.

I also generally oppose auto-renewals, but this one bothers me less because the natural rhythm of the season and off-season will always make it easy to remember when to call and cancel if that's your choice.

AND, the way the 30-day notice provision reads, this might also be more flexible than a standard season ticket plan. The way it is written, it could be that you are allowed to cancel in mid-season, stop making any further payments, and just presumably forgo the remaining games in the season. I think that is actually a fair reading of the terms, which simply require 30-day notice and do not seem to limit that to an off-season window. But that is so amazingly beneficial I almost cannot imagine they will allow it. But if I, like doctorhoosier doctorhoosier, were concerned about an unplanned need to move from NYC, I would confirm whether this is the case because if my reading is correct then this is a wonderful advantage.

Reactions: doctorhoosier
I also generally oppose auto-renewals, but this one bothers me less because the natural rhythm of the season and off-season will always make it easy to remember when to call and cancel if that's your choice.

AND, the way the 30-day notice provision reads, this might also be more flexible than a standard season ticket plan. The way it is written, it could be that you are allowed to cancel in mid-season, stop making any further payments, and just presumably forgo the remaining games in the season. I think that is actually a fair reading of the terms, which simply require 30-day notice and do not seem to limit that to an off-season window. But that is so amazingly beneficial I almost cannot imagine they will allow it. But if I, like doctorhoosier doctorhoosier, were concerned about an unplanned need to move from NYC, I would confirm whether this is the case because if my reading is correct then this is a wonderful advantage.
You've got a point if the "30 day period" reading you have there is accurate. That's pretty much "too good to be true", though.

I'm just very disappointed by the bait and switch, which has become par for the course with this club. I don't know of any other club in MLS that forces this kind of crap down your throat so regularly. I'm really not at all a fan of autorenewals on big purchases, and lacking the option to not autorenew is pretty terrible customer service.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
The email says
  • Flexibility to cancel your membership at any time with 30 days' notice
"at any time" should mean what it clearly means. The renewal page says the exact same thing under the tab "The City Membership." On the Faq under "Can I cancel my City Membership" it says:
"Yes. You have the flexibility to cancel your membership at any time with 30 days’ notice. To cancel, members must complete and submit the online opt out request form a minimum of 30 days prior to their desired date of cancellation. Upon cancellation, you give up your Founding Member status and all related benefits."
The next question is "If I choose to cancel will I get a refund" and the answer is:
"No refunds will be issued for cancelling your Founding City Membership. If you choose to cancel, your membership will end 30 days from the date you provide New York City FC with written notice by completing the online web form. If there is another payment date within the 30 day window, you will be charged that one remaining payment. You will not be responsible for any future payments and any remaining funds may be applied toward the purchase of tickets to a mutually agreed upon event in that calendar year."
If you cannot walk away at any time and owe no more money outside the 30 day window then this is highly misleading. You should definitely call and confirm as this is a real concern for you, but I think the language is clear. The only way you can lose is if you choose a one-time payment, because you won't get a refund.

The email says
"at any time" should mean what it clearly means. The renewal page says the exact same thing under the tab "The City Membership." On the Faq under "Can I cancel my City Membership" it says:
"Yes. You have the flexibility to cancel your membership at any time with 30 days’ notice. To cancel, members must complete and submit the online opt out request form a minimum of 30 days prior to their desired date of cancellation. Upon cancellation, you give up your Founding Member status and all related benefits."
The next question is "If I choose to cancel will I get a refund" and the answer is:
"No refunds will be issued for cancelling your Founding City Membership. If you choose to cancel, your membership will end 30 days from the date you provide New York City FC with written notice by completing the online web form. If there is another payment date within the 30 day window, you will be charged that one remaining payment. You will not be responsible for any future payments and any remaining funds may be applied toward the purchase of tickets to a mutually agreed upon event in that calendar year."
If you cannot walk away at any time and owe no more money outside the 30 day window then this is highly misleading. You should definitely call and confirm as this is a real concern for you, but I think the language is clear. The only way you can lose is if you choose a one-time payment, because you won't get a refund.
s

0.25 hours @ $500/hour

That will be $125, please.

The email says
You're a saint among men. Thanks.

Reactions: mgarbowski