Frank Lampard for MLS Player of the Month

I honestly love T Tom in Fairfield CT - he's one of the best posters on here. Just wish he would drop the bias. If Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan can come around, anyone can.
Honestly, I'd rather be wrong and win, like we currently are. This argument is much better while winning. Frank is playing like a forward though (low #of touches and low passing %). That gives us a 424 formation, and I think that's an inherently problematic set up that good tactical coaches will recognize and beat (like marsch and vermes did by dominating possession with their CDMs allowing their front four to run wild).

I hope you can recognize it as something other than bias, I don't care much about his signing issues, only about how he is playing and how that will impact our team going forward.

Honestly, I'd rather be wrong and win, like we currently are. This argument is much better while winning. Frank is playing like a forward though (low #of touches and low passing %). That gives us a 424 formation, and I think that's an inherently problematic set up that good tactical coaches will recognize and beat (like marsch and vermes did by dominating possession with their CDMs allowing their front four to run wild).

I hope you can recognize it as something other than bias, I don't care much about his signing issues, only about how he is playing and how that will impact our team going forward.
PV did say at the beginning of the season that we may see a 4-2-4....

Just hope he doesn't go flamboyant with the 3-1-6 attack....

Reactions: adam
It feels like we are playing a 4-2-3-1. Harrison and McNamara are both tracking back and defending their own corner flag.

It feels like we are playing a 4-2-3-1. Harrison and McNamara are both tracking back and defending their own corner flag.
Don't think we're ever playing a 4-2-3-1. It's either a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-4-1. Watch when the opponent gets a defensive free kick - many times if we're not doing a high press, you can visibly see the 4141 positioning of our players in our half of the field.

PV did say at the beginning of the season that we may see a 4-2-4....

Just hope he doesn't go flamboyant with the 3-1-6 attack....
Me, I'm waiting to see the full-on-gonzo 2-0-8...

Reactions: Kjbert
Frank. Instead of standing around, he would have gotten through a decent work rate, which would have been a big help in that match in particular.
Totally agree with this. Although that's assuming Mix has a future at the club of course. If he does I don't understand why he's not been put on in the Lampard role as he could play 5 or 10 years in that position after Lampard retires. If he doesn't, well, that would explain it I guess.

Mix has choked with every chance he was given this year since May 1. That's a fact.

Don't think we're ever playing a 4-2-3-1. It's either a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-4-1. Watch when the opponent gets a defensive free kick - many times if we're not doing a high press, you can visibly see the 4141 positioning of our players in our half of the field.

We have 4 defensive players. Iraola stays home and splits the Centerbacks (6). Pirlo roams up and down the field (8). Lampard mostly plays offensively and doesn't track back (10). Villa does something similar but hovers around midfield (9). McNamara and Harrison play end to end.

I'm not saying we have a classic 4-2-3-1 set-up. I'm saying it ends up playing that way.

442 with Lampard as a forward is what it usually looks like, honestly.

Nah, Harrison plays to high to call him a midfielder. It's like a 4-3-3 with Villa-Lampard-Harrison up front and shifted to the right, and McNamara-Pirlo-Iraola in the midfield and shifted to the left.

We gotta get Mac in Lampard's spot next year, he's great where he is but he's a CAM in spirit.

Nah, Harrison plays to high to call him a midfielder. It's like a 4-3-3 with Villa-Lampard-Harrison up front and shifted to the right, and McNamara-Pirlo-Iraola in the midfield and shifted to the left.

We gotta get Mac in Lampard's spot next year, he's great where he is but he's a CAM in spirit.
Def agree with the last part.

I called it a 442 because Frank rarely makes it back into our half while defending and Jack and TMac track back like mids more so than outright wingers would. But either way, point stands here that we're a 433 only on the lineup sheet.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert