2016 MLS Awards: MVP, Coach, Comeback, and Rookie of the Year

Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player Finalists
David Villa (New York City FC) - BWP and Stache will split votes. Giovinco should have been a finalist

Defender of the Year Finalists
Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)

Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Finalists
Nobody has been that spectacular. Howard is a joke...he's only been here half a season and Colorado had a lower GAA before he arrived.
I guess Blake then if you have to choose somebody.

Newcomer of the Year Finalists
Nico Lodeiro (Seattle Sounders FC) - even though he's only a half a year Seattle is lights out with him

AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC) - sorry NYCFC, no chance at anyone other than Morris

Coach of the Year Finalists
Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids) - also, Vieira will not win because of DPs, people will say Pablo did more with less

Comeback Player of the Year Finalists
Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union) - I'm having trouble giving this to Lamps but could see him win it

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year, presented by Advocare, Finalists
Matt Lampson (Chicago Fire) - if you haven't read his story about overcoming cancer and his foundation. Amazing.

MLS Fair Play Finalists – Individual
Who cares

MLS Fair Play Finalists - Team
Anbody but Toronto - did you see Armando Cooper last Sunday?

Referee of the Year Finalists
Nobody. I guess Alan Kelly if you had to give one.

Assistant Referee of the Year Finalists
Don't know

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player Finalists
David Villa (New York City FC) - BWP and Stache will split votes. Giovinco should have been a finalist

Defender of the Year Finalists
Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)

Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Finalists
Nobody has been that spectacular. Howard is a joke...he's only been here half a season and Colorado had a lower GAA before he arrived.
I guess Blake then if you have to choose somebody.

Newcomer of the Year Finalists
Nico Lodeiro (Seattle Sounders FC) - even though he's only a half a year Seattle is lights out with him

AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC) - sorry NYCFC, no chance at anyone other than Morris

Coach of the Year Finalists
Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids) - also, Vieira will not win because of DPs, people will say Pablo did more with less

Comeback Player of the Year Finalists
Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union) - I'm having trouble giving this to Lamps but could see him win it

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year, presented by Advocare, Finalists
Matt Lampson (Chicago Fire) - if you haven't read his story about overcoming cancer and his foundation. Amazing.

MLS Fair Play Finalists – Individual
Who cares

MLS Fair Play Finalists - Team
Anbody but Toronto - did you see Armando Cooper last Sunday?

Referee of the Year Finalists
Nobody. I guess Alan Kelly if you had to give one.

Assistant Referee of the Year Finalists
Don't know
MLS forgot one......

The Patrick Vieira Mr. Irrelevant Award Finalist (there's only one):
Mix Diskerud

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Not advocating that is be named after someone different, I think it shouldn't be named at all at this point. If the league continues to grow it's going to be strange to have the award named after the guy who was essentially the big fish because for the most part he stayed in the small pond.
Shouldn't build statues after people who are still alive...

Not advocating that is be named after someone different, I think it shouldn't be named at all at this point. If the league continues to grow it's going to be strange to have the award named after the guy who was essentially the big fish because for the most part he stayed in the small pond.
Not disagreeing with the big fish in a small pond. But I think it fair for a league to recognize those who were instrumental in their early success/survival. And I think it's fair to argue that no one was more so than LD.

Not disagreeing with the big fish in a small pond. But I think it fair for a league to recognize those who were instrumental in their early success/survival. And I think it's fair to argue that no one was more so than LD.
LD was instrumental, in demonstrating to other Yanks Abroad that MLS could be a viable option, but the guy that was most instrumental in MLS developing and becoming palatable to watch was Beckham - not because he was necessarily great on the field, but because he gave the league the cache to attract quality internationals that weren't C-level players or Vacationers. With that has come the DP, TAM players, higher Cap, increased television deals, and a plethora of expansion with owners willing to fork out $ for players.

I wouldn't name the award for Beckham, but to me he's been the most valuable league signing ever. MLS would still be in the Dark Ages 1.0 without him.

hqdefault.jpg

the whining from NJ fans on Twitter re: Villa likely winning MVP is only further exacerbated by their insistence that he receives preferential treatment from the league

Reactions: FootyLovin
Are you accusing them of anti immigrant bias?

Jack Harrison has a higher ceiling.

But in response to your point: Say MLS was an English league with English media, ownership, etc (voters). Who would they vote for?

(But yes, Morris was well deserving of the award. Though if the Union hadn't fallen off the ship towards the latter stages of the regular season, Rosenberry should have won it).

Reactions: Ulrich
But in response to your point: Say MLS was an English league with English media, ownership, etc (voters). Who would they vote for?

A foreigner. We are, as a whole, pretty dismissive of native players and tend to believe that they are unskilled, overvalued and arrogant. It's six years since an English player won the PFA Fan's Player of the Year award, for instance.

Reactions: FootyLovin