French Ligue 1 2015/2016

Police in riot gear can definitely be off putting. I've been to the Velodrome 4 times and this did happen once though it was a Europe league match and a promise you it was the Fenerbache fans instigating on that occasion. The passion for football in Marseille is as intense as any city in the world and with it being a fairly large city with only one club the passions run high. I understand the feeling of bitterness at Valbuena for going to their second most major rival and the feeling of not getting the calls but you of course can not do what they did. I hope they get off with a fine and maybe one match behind closed doors. There's been talk of point docking which I hate to see happen to any team especially one I support over off the field matters.

I did not. If OM ever come to the states or even Montreal I'd try to go. I don't absolutely hate PSG despite the rivalry as it's largely an ingrained city thing Marseille VS Paris which despite the time I've spent in Marseille being a non FrenchMan I can't fully appreciate or understand but I don't go out of my way to root for them either.

I completely agree that point docking is unfair when it’s a fan based issue. However I am really uncomfortable with the Valbuena effigy that was hung. I can understand the fans feeling betrayed by what he did, but to display their anger in such a manner is shocking and provocative. So for the club to allow this (and please correct me if I am mistaken) I hold them accountable for part of what happened. That thing looked huge so I can’t see how it could be hung without club/stadium involvement. I feel sad for Valbuena and his family.

So I see Laurent Blanc came out yesterday calling for very severe sanctions - http://www.espnfc.us/french-ligue-1...lanc-wants-severe-sanctions-on-marseille-fans

I was concerned about his statement adding more fuel to the fire and thought not now. But I do appreciate that he said it’s not just at Marseille such a thing happens.

I follow La Liga much more closely then Ligue 1 so I get club rivalry. When politics, culture and way of life are involved it can get very hostile. For me personally the only ingrained rivalry I ever felt was against the Boston Red Sox when I was following the Yankees as a teen. Even then that for me was more on the tenuous side.

Just so you know, Zlatan is the reason you are I are having this conversation. I followed him to PSG which is how I got into the club. Seeing my lovely Brazilians in the back line with Cavani and Zlatan upfront is thrilling. Adding Di Maria was icing on the cake. I naturally became interested in the rest of the league and enjoy learning more about different Ligue 1 clubs. I also have a fondness for France's national team.

I don’t know how I’m going to survive these mid-week games. I have today's PSG game taped with the DVR set up for three La Liga matches. I'll be avoiding sports news while I'm playing catch up. Enjoy tomorrow’s Marseille game!

I'm not defending the crazies that were at the Velodrome Sunday I just think fines and maybe a game or two behind closed doors....taking away points/wins I don't know maybe it's the American in me that can't stand it.

PSG have had some great Brazilians down the years. Rai was a hell of a player. Marseille do have Lucas Silva on loan from Real right now.

Finally caught up with the mid week games so I can come back here! The latest I found was Marseille has been ordered to close parts of their stadium - http://www.espnfc.us/marseille/stor...o-close-sections-of-stadium-for-fan-behaviour. It's a provisional sanction. I feel it's definitely much better then a points drop. The only time I think I would be okay with a points drop is if a club kept making violations and didn't care about fines because they easily had the funds to pay them.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11810/10241749/marseille-owner-decides-to-sell-french-club

Hopefully good news for Marseille and ligue one. I think it would be hard to find a more football mad city than Marseille they deserve better than what they've got the past few years it also can only be a good thing for French if Marseille can find a strong owner who will invest to make them relevant again and stop PSG from running away with it every year. Fingers crossed something good comes out of this.

This is technically Ligue 2 news, but Bob Bradley's team Le Havre missed promotion to Ligue 1 by *one goal* in a goal differential battle (which actually finished level in absolute GD and had to be decided by Goals For) despite winning their final match of the season 5-0.

From ESPNFC:

Metz promoted to Ligue 1 over Bob Bradley's Le Havre by tiny margin http://espnfc.com/french-ligue-1/st...e-1-over-bob-bradleys-le-havre-by-tiny-margin

This is technically Ligue 2 news, but Bob Bradley's team Le Havre missed promotion to Ligue 1 by *one goal* in a goal differential battle (which actually finished level in absolute GD and had to be decided by Goals For) despite winning their final match of the season 5-0.

From ESPNFC:

Metz promoted to Ligue 1 over Bob Bradley's Le Havre by tiny margin http://espnfc.com/french-ligue-1/st...e-1-over-bob-bradleys-le-havre-by-tiny-margin
It's sucks for Bradley, but his teams' have a habit of not going for the jugular and running up scores until the last possible game when tiebreakers are on the line. We saw it when he was national team coach. I applaud him for being a gentleman of the the sport, but the sport is cutthroat and he really should take a page from Barca/Real and hang as many goals on his opponents as possible.

Frank McCourt's Marseille takeover is officially underway . Appointed Rudi Garcia manager good show of intent imo but the next two transfer windows will tell .

Reactions: ktdNYCFC