Game Day Transit is a Mess Thread

JayH

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Oct 2, 2014
We all know that there will be some serious travel challenges tomorrow with the marathon and every other NY team playing locally. I figured that it made sense to have a place for us to post any helpful information regarding delays, closings, realtime observations etc. Plan ahead, it's going to be a mess.

Calen Carr and MLSsoccer.com is going to both RB-Montreal at 4 PM then NYCFC-Toronto at 6:30 PM. God help him.

Reactions: JayH
Calen Carr and MLSsoccer.com is going to both RB-Montreal at 4 PM then NYCFC-Toronto at 6:30 PM. God help him.
Kickoff is at 6:46 or something random like that so 45min to arrive and be in their seats. It's a 52 min trip today at 5:35pm - tomorrow is going to be worse. Hope they like listening to the radio.

http://www.mta.info

Main page, top left hand side, gives updated service status of the subway, rail, bus, bridges and tunnels. If you see anything listed other than "Good Service" just click on the comment and it will link you to a page that gives info about what and where the issues are.

I would be surprised if there are a lot of train issues because of all the different events. It's a day made for riding the rails. Hopefully, they will operate more than usual Sunday service.

Now, getting to your station - THAT could be tough.

Reactions: joe and JayH
I'm skipping my usual starting point at Columbus Circle which may very well be blocked off, and leaving from 72nd with a transfer further uptown (2 to the 4 at 149th or C to B/D at 125th).

The fastest way honestly to get to both games would be to drive from Red Bull Arena to the edge of New Jersey then take a speedboat around the south of Manhattan then up the East River to the Harlem River to Yankee Stadium.

The fastest way honestly to get to both games would be to drive from Red Bull Arena to the edge of New Jersey then take a speedboat around the south of Manhattan then up the East River to the Harlem River to Yankee Stadium.
They may run into traffic with all of the barge's bringing materials to the Etihad Island construction project.

Goodness what a mess ! Is it a possibility the Game might be delayed? What happens if the players have problems getting in??

Goodness what a mess ! Is it a possibility the Game might be delayed? What happens if the players have getting in??

No. To be honest, NYC is the most capable city in the country, and maybe the world, at handling events like this. The marathon goes nowhere particularly close to Yankee Stadium, so while Manhattan will be bottled up, the Bronx should be OK.

Also, the marathon begins early in the morning, so by 4-5 pm the vast majority of marathon traffic will be over, aside from the stragglers still running. I'm assuming most of the guys live in Westchester (closer to the training center), so driving in from Westchester shouldn't be a major problem. They'll be fine.

Reactions: Angela Miller
My adventure begins! Stayed on the UES this weekend, have a wedding/brunch (civil ceremony) from my cousin at 11am on the UES. Hope to get my car out of the garage by 1-2pm. Then I need to drive my mother back to LI and pick up my dad to go to the match. I'm looking at the marathon route and the wedding is on 64th and 2nd. I'm assuming I can drive down Lex to 34rh street and take the tunnel back to LI. Anyone know if this is a bad idea. To get back to stadium I'll just take the Whitestone/throgs Neck to the cross Bronx and should avoid everything. It's match day and I have my own marathon :)

IMG_8183.PNG

Last edited:
My adventure begins! Stayed on the UES this weekend, have a wedding/brunch (civil ceremony) from my cousin at 11am on the UES. Hope to get my car out of the garage by 1-2pm. Then I need to drive my mother back to LI and pick up my dad to go to the match. I'm looking at the marathon route and the wedding is on 64th and 2nd. I'm assuming I can drive down Lex to 34rh street and take the tunnel back to LI. Anyone know if this is a bad idea. To get back to stadium I'll just take the Whitestone/throgs Neck to the cross Bronx and should avoid everything. It's march day and I have my own marathon :)

View attachment 6112
Can you substitute your mom in for your dad for the game and then just stay in the city? Problem solved!

My adventure begins! Stayed on the UES this weekend, have a wedding/brunch (civil ceremony) from my cousin at 11am on the UES. Hope to get my car out of the garage by 1-2pm. Then I need to drive my mother back to LI and pick up my dad to go to the match. I'm looking at the marathon route and the wedding is on 64th and 2nd. I'm assuming I can drive down Lex to 34rh street and take the tunnel back to LI. Anyone know if this is a bad idea. To get back to stadium I'll just take the Whitestone/throgs Neck to the cross Bronx and should avoid everything. It's march day and I have my own marathon :)

View attachment 6112

Good luck to you. Getting out of the UES by car is going to be tough. At least you only have a few blocks before getting out of the area of the race. I would be worried about the tunnel and getting though Queens. Although the race certainly doesn't run on the 495, it tends to drive up traffic on nearby roads. Hard to know for sure until you are actually driving. If you haven't downloaded the Waze app, do so. It's the best way to confirm whether there are major traffic problems on the way.

You should be fine getting from home to the game.

Reactions: adam
I just lost my buddy for the game to his wife going into labor. Lucky for them it happened at 6am in Prospect Heights,BKLN, otherwise it'd be a bitch to get to NYU Medical center since all paths have to cross the marathon route.

Bad news is he's missing the game. Good news is NYCFC Academy will have new player for the U-7 class of 2022.

I just lost my buddy for the game to his wife going into labor. Lucky for them it happened at 6am in Prospect Heights,BKLN, otherwise it'd be a bitch to get to NYU Medical center since all paths have to cross the marathon route.

Bad news is he's missing the game. Good news is NYCFC Academy will have new player for the U-7 class of 2022.
Typical woman. Couldn't handle not being the center of attention for one night, so she goes into labor

Last edited: