Growth of soccer in the USA

ferrarinycfc

Registered
Dec 6, 2014
So im back home in Australia after a tremendous month of holidays in the USA. That was my 3rd trip to the States. My first was in 2005, then again in 2010.

What I have noticed each time i go to the USA is how much bigger soccer is getting.

The Copa America was great to attend, the USA game in Philly was fantastic to watch and showed me how passionate Americans can be about soccer. The Copa America wouldnt havent been possible that long ago and ESPN giving the full treatment for Euro 2016 was also great.

In New York itself, it was fantastic to see so much NYCFC and Red Bulls and other MLS gear around town and even in tourist stores in Times square. 10 years ago i barely remember seeing anything soccer related in New York.

I believe the USA is on its way to becoming a great soccer nation. Its a slow ongoing process but the progress is real.

The other thing is once upon a time i used to think that the USA would be great if it got all the kids playing the 4 major sports, but i saw so many kids wearing messi or james or chicarito shirts, that im convinced these kids are going to be the future.

The key though is getting these kids into the right pathways. As Steve Nicol recently said, youth soccer in America(much like everything else) is about making money rather than producing players, however I believe that MLS academies will in the future be producing the right type of player.

USA '94 kick started the journey and I just hope the USA gets the 2026 World Cup so i can come over oncer again for a huge soccer party !!

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/07/leices...-new-york-after-claiming-premier-league-title

Pretty cool article with Christian Fuchs. He also sees the growth of soccer in the USA and I like this :

I just think that U.S. soccer can develop lot,” Fuchs added. “The kids, they have pure determination, and they give everything to make their dream come true. I had one kid that went last year for two weeks in Europe, all by himself, and he did very well. I think there’s a lot of potential here in the U.S. It just takes the right training and the right people to push it.”

Reactions: JayH
Great stuff. I really appreciate the perspective of someone that visits occasionally and therefore can see the larger results of incremental changes that we who live here often miss.

Reactions: ferrarinycfc