Héber Araújo dos Santos [Forward]

It’s safe to assume a 5 year straight amortization. To $500k p/a. Meaning $1.325mm cap hit. So $1.5mm in cap savings with the $200k in GAM. Not too shabby.
Although he did sign a new contract this past off-season, so his transfer fee had likely been assumed on our cap in years 1-3.

Although he did sign a new contract this past off-season, so his transfer fee had likely been assumed on our cap in years 1-3.
Funny enough, all three of those re-signed players have left this year.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
Heber was also using an international spot

was he?

from MLS article about his transfer:

"Héber won’t require an international roster spot ..."

Why would he suddenly not take up an international spot? Maybe MLS is reporting it incorrectly.

was he?

Why would he suddenly not take up an international spot? Maybe MLS is reporting it incorrectly.
It’s been part of the clubs strategy to get players green cards while signed with NYCFC to reduce the international spots on the roster. It might have also made him a more appealing trade candidate within MLS.

It’s been part of the clubs strategy to get players green cards while signed with NYCFC to reduce the international spots on the roster. It might have also made him a more appealing trade candidate within MLS.

Right. So he wasn't taking up a spot after he got his green card .

was he?

According to NYCFC's roster page he was. I didn't include it in the screenshot below, but Callens is not listed as International.

1672690728333.png

i see. wouldn't be the first time that roster page was incorrect though. heber does have a green card.
When did that happen (I'm not saying it didn't)? When that's occurred in the past for guys on NYCFC, it was reported by the club. See Alex Ring as an example.

Other reporting on the trade are saying "Heber no longer requires an international slot".

When did that happen (I'm not saying it didn't)? When that's occurred in the past for guys on NYCFC, it was reported by the club. See Alex Ring as an example.

Other reporting on the trade are saying "Heber no longer requires an international slot".

Honestly, I don't know. I just assumed he had one if he wasn't taking an international slot. So, maybe he JUST got his green card? Like you said, the club usually announced green cards and I did not specifically recall one about Heber, which is why I thought it was strange when the MLS article said he wouldn't take an international slot.

He must have gotten it this year or fairly recently.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

Honestly, I don't know. I just assumed he had one if he wasn't taking an international slot. So, maybe he JUST got his green card? Like you said, the club usually announced green cards and I did not specifically recall one about Heber, which is why I thought it was strange when the MLS article said he wouldn't take an international slot.

If Erika Liano 👆🏻 is a US citizen, he gets citizenship through marriage. No green card necessary.

Yeah, that’s the crux of the issue. What info that is out there, doesn’t seem completely trustworthy, so who knows

Reactions: moogoo
I'm not assuming that an article written by MLS Soccer Staff is accurate in all respects.
The piece I saw that mentioned “would no longer require” was from Sounder At Heart, which I think is the best of the SBnation sites and run by Jeremiah Oshan, who is very good.

Now, that article and language could have been based off of info from the league and could possibly have just been worded poorly (and/or I’m interpreting those choice of words too much)

Reactions: mgarbowski