Ismael Tajouri-Shradi [Forward]

How much of a say does he have in all of this? I mean he could walk away from his contract and leave MLS right? Otherwise he just kind of has to play along? I just think it’s shitty how close to the final all of this is happening. Give the players at least a week or two to relax before telling them they’re without a job or moving to a different city.

How much of a say does he have in all of this? I mean he could walk away from his contract and leave MLS right? Otherwise he just kind of has to play along? I just think it’s shitty how close to the final all of this is happening. Give the players at least a week or two to relax before telling them they’re without a job or moving to a different city.

the whole expansion draft should be abolished imho. what is the purpose anymore? for the expansion club to make some money? at this point, if you can afford the expansion fee you can afford to get your own damn players or make deals/trades like everybody else.

maybe i'm just annoyed our championship team is getting raided.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
the whole expansion draft should be abolished imho. what is the purpose anymore? for the expansion club to make some money? at this point, if you can afford the expansion fee you can afford to get your own damn players or make deals/trades like everybody else.

maybe i'm just annoyed our championship team is getting raided.
I don't meant to discount the contributions Tajouri-Shradi made to this team, but I think saying our championship team getting raided is just a bit too much.

I don't meant to discount the contributions Tajouri-Shradi made to this team, but I think saying our championship team getting raided is just a bit too much.
I know you're right.

it's just too soon!! Always enjoyed watching him hit a banger. But my head knows his inconsistency and injuries didn't justify his salary and roster spot

it's just crazy when, for example, this year two of the players selected were instantly traded to another club for money. That's not the point of the expansion draft. At least, not how I see it.

I don’t think FIFA lets you just walk away from a contract to play somewhere else.

Reactions: FootyLovin
it's just crazy when, for example, this year two of the players selected were instantly traded to another club for money. That's not the point of the expansion draft. At least, not how I see it.
How long should the team that selects them wait until they could trade them?

That’s a good practical question. Before coming up with any kind of answer, My question is, “what’s the point of the expansion draft?”
I think many people believe that it’s a way to help an expansion team acquire MLS tested players and field a minimally competitive team while also giving underutilized players more minutes on the field. That is apparently a naive assumption and the reality is that it’s a crafty way to give an expansion club the ability to get “free” GAM or TAM or whatever in building their roster in the weird MLS salary cap system. I guess at the same time, a team (in this case NYCFC) is okay with missing out on 350k in GAM because it helps them in “re-jiggering” their roster by getting a salary off the books.
I’m curious how the FO looks at how the whole thing works.(that’s a long walk about to a simple question)

Reactions: Shwafta and JayH
That’s a good practical question. Before coming up with any kind of answer, My question is, “what’s the point of the expansion draft?”
I think many people believe that it’s a way to help an expansion team acquire MLS tested players and field a minimally competitive team while also giving underutilized players more minutes on the field. That is apparently a naive assumption and the reality is that it’s a crafty way to give an expansion club the ability to get “free” GAM or TAM or whatever in building their roster in the weird MLS salary cap system. I guess at the same time, a team (in this case NYCFC) is okay with missing out on 350k in GAM because it helps them in “re-jiggering” their roster by getting a salary off the books.
I’m curious how the FO looks at how the whole thing works.(that’s a long walk about to a simple question)

You could always add a no-trade clause for 'x' amount of the season for any selected expansion draft player?

I think the assumption of it being to help an expansion team acquire MLS tested players and field a minimally competitive team is exactly right.

And MLS teams have the ability to trade those players if they want to.

Reactions: JayH
You could always add a no-trade clause for 'x' amount of the season for any selected expansion draft player?
The draft is just quirky and annoying. I hate that we basically handed Clt 400k that we could have had.
The solution?
Is there one?
Lets say CLT was not allowed to trade a player, or had to forfeit any gains from any trades, would that be fair to the player? He would effectively have zero transfer value to the team. What if they sign another player that pushes him to the bench, or a young player finds amazing form, now instead of trading the player to a perhaps better situation, the team has no incentive to deal him. Not fair to the player.

I'm not sure that a solution exists that is not flawed. Perhaps scrap the expansion draft and replace it with a combination of extra superdraft picks, first dibs on any waived players, extra TGAM, or other measures.

I hate the way this went down as very few other teams in the league are starting put with an effective 350k penalty.

Glass houses, throwing stones, etc.

"On December 12, Lovitz was selected by New York City FC in the 2014 MLS Expansion Draft. However, hours later Toronto announced that they had re-acquired Lovitz from New York in exchange for allocation money. "

"On December 10, 2014, Zizzo was the ninth pick of New York City FC in the 2014 MLS Expansion Draft. The following day he was traded to local rivals New York Red Bulls in a deal agreed prior to the draft, with Red Bulls goalkeeper Ryan Meara going the other way on a one-year loan. "