James Sands

My account representative liked my tweet regarding the James Sands signing.

Confirmation?

The hype is building fast.

in the past hour the news has expanded fast within my nycfc circles so yes the hype is there

Reactions: Kjbert
In all honesty, Sands is the perfect HGP. His ceiling is slightly lower than the current CDMs and CBs (not by much, though) than the rest of the CBs and CDMs in the USYNT talent pool for his age groups. So in short, he's not getting as much attention abroad as he probably should, considering those are loaded position groups for the US. Hopefully we can hang on to him for a long time.

In all honesty, Sands is the perfect HGP. His ceiling is slightly lower than the current CDMs and CBs (not by much, though) than the rest of the CBs and CDMs in the USYNT talent pool for his age groups. So in short, he's not getting as much attention abroad as he probably should, considering those are loaded position groups for the US. Hopefully we can hang on to him for a long time.

so you are saying his ceiling is not the roof?

Reactions: Kjbert
He's 16, how can we possibly speak to his ceiling?

Forget about ceiling - how about his floor?

Many of us, albeit based on a small body of work, believe he is a better player TODAY than some of the people currently taking the pitch for us. You don't have to look at the long term impact of his inclusion in the squad to make a judgement. On a small salary, is he a better contributor than Mikey Lopez or Kwame Awuah right now? Maybe

Tyler Adams is a better player than James Sands right now. Totally different players. I really like Adams and his long term upside - I think he's a better player than the kid they are playing, Davis, right now

Reactions: Ulrich

Many of us, albeit based on a small body of work, believe he is a better player TODAY than some of the people currently taking the pitch for us. You don't have to look at the long term impact of his inclusion in the squad to make a judgement. On a small salary, is he a better contributor than Mikey Lopez or Kwame Awuah right now? Maybe
The name Mikey Lopez should be autocorrected on the forum to white text, to emphasize his invisibility on the pitch. You couldn't find a lower floor to compare the guy to. Sands would have been a better contributor at 5 years old than Mikey Lopez is today.

I'm just wondering when we are going to sign Gio Reyna to a full contract. From what I heard he is the crown jewel of the development program, and someone who looks like they're going to a very high end European team the literal moment they hit 18.

I'd imagine he finishes this year in the kids squad, and maybe next year if only to get some more height and size on him. But he's going to suit up for NYCFC sooner than later.

Reactions: Ulrich
T Tom in Fairfield CT and that's the point here. Forget about it being "THE FIRST HISTORIC HOMEGROWN NYCFC PLAYER IN THE THIRD HISTORIC SEASON" and all that BS.

This is about improving your team. Forget that he'll be 17 in July or that he'll be paid very little. Forget about his long term future and how we hope he grows into a Jack Harrison type young, impact player.

Are we a better team with him on the roster or no? If the answer is yes, then this is good. That's the only hurdle

I'm just wondering when we are going to sign Gio Reyna to a full contract. From what I heard he is the crown jewel of the development program, and someone who looks like they're going to a very high end European team the literal moment they hit 18.

I'd imagine he finishes this year in the kids squad, and maybe next year if only to get some more height and size on him. But he's going to suit up for NYCFC sooner than later.

Not happening.

He's definitely better than Mikey Lopez who seems to be the first replacement for Ring/Pirlo