Jersey postmatch

-ethan white got beat almost every time he was in a 1v1 situation. sometimes with the help of harrison he still got beat.
--he did zero to stop the goal and BWP was 1v1 with him, yet people still defend this guy.
---he fair played a throw in to RB for no reason. clap it up for this guy.

-lewis looked ok, didn't have any issues with him playing.
-shelton useless as usual, but ill let it slide since he hasnt been playing. not that he's gonna be any better next time or any of the following.
-okoli came on and impressed me. great showing from him last night.

-brillant didnt hurt us, but i think he makes callens life a lot harder having to make up for his lack of pace.

- midfield was solid, credit to ring for showing up and not shooting.

More thoughts now that the DV-induced rapture has abated a little bit

- Callens' run up the left wing was impressive. He should move ahead of Tommy on the depth chart once Chanot comes back.
- Near the end of the game Felipe got fouled and came up and swung his arm wildly in what was surely meant to hit someone. The ref had his back to it though and Felipe didn't make contact.
- That's not a penalty on Jack in a million years, I would never want that called against us. I don't recall him making any attempt to sell it, I think he was just embarrassed to not have stayed stronger and gone down so easily.
- Ugo was a breath of fresh air getting on the end of goal kicks and defending. He can improve a lot still but we need that physical presence up too badly.
- On a similar note, if I see a nicely delivered cross go into the box with Maxi on the end of it again I'm going to flip. His size makes delivering a ball he can drive especially with his head almost impossible. He needs to be playing deeper and on the wings, not the lone target striker.

- That's not a penalty on Jack in a million years, I would never want that called against us. I don't recall him making any attempt to sell it, I think he was just embarrassed to not have stayed stronger and gone down so easily.

- On a similar note, if I see a nicely delivered cross go into the box with Maxi on the end of it again I'm going to flip. His size makes delivering a ball he can drive especially with his head almost impossible. He needs to be playing deeper and on the wings, not the lone target striker.

we only deserved one penalty and we got it. harrison and lewis' aren't penalties in a million years.

funny how we will find maxi's head, but when we had nemec we always played his feet.... seem's to be an ongoing tradition of doing the opposite of what we should do.

Props to Mikey Lopez for seeing that
I'm with Soup. Lewis was a PK. He was pulled from behind. I did think Jack might have gone down a bit easy after seeing Lewis not get the call by not going down. Not a dive, but an attempt to deal with the earlier precedent. But I thought the play on him was valid shoulder to shoulder even if it did knock him down.

I'm in the camp that Lewis's play was a PK, he was in front of the defender and his arm was being held. Would have been an easier call if he went down.

I think Jack did go down a bit easy on the second one though. What I remember most about that was the Jersey fan behind me going "GREAT CALL" when no penalty was called. ugh.

Hooligans in an active street blocking traffic...
We got the best ball kids, they know how to delay the game...
And how to chose the direction of penalties...

Honestly, we need ball like around these ages. Youngers ones are susceptible to listen to away coaches and players demanding them to give them the ball. The 14-16 age range knows to give no fucks.
and this:

I actually have an opposite opinion on both of them, but do need to go back and rewatch.

I thought if Lewis goes down, a penalty is called. The highlights I watched Lalas echoed that as well. The Harrison one was close, but I wasn't sure it was a PK. Reading the comments on one of the MLS pages, someone noted that the PK called in the later SKC-ATL game was an almost identical play to the no-call on Jack however.
I think Lalas said it was a soft foul, but even soft fouls in the box are penalties. (eta: that was Lalas saying it was a PK, not me extrapolating)

I think both are called 8 or 9 of 10 times in leagues with better officiating, and if you don't give the first, you damn sure give the second.

Last edited:
-shelton useless as usual, but ill let it slide since he hasnt been playing. not that he's gonna be any better next time or any of the following.
IMO, Shelton's performance last night was peak Shelton. He shows these flashes and great athletic ability, but lacks the first touch and confidence to do much with it. And I think the lack of confidence is the biggest thing holding him back.

The play in the second half where a pass came to him at the top of the box, prime position to take a shot on net, and instead he paused, looked for a pass that wasn't there, then lost the ball.

Last year when he was producing for us, most of his production came in a stretch of games as he built up confidence. (additionally, most of those assists came with his head, or after he was somehow able to settle the ball).

I definitely find him one of the most frustrating players on our roster.

I don't mean to be negative I really enjoyed beating those fuckers. I think we have created so many chances playing a certain way, and we changed that, (Patrick) right before an important game. There were no moments last night, other than the goals, that I was like, oh yeah we should score here. Anyone here who thought oh yes, Ben sweat has a shot on goal, we should score here, is on crack.

3 at the back gets you an extra attacker only if you let them have the ball, which we did by not pressing their buildup. Keep them under pressure and its 5 at the back. I hate seeing Patrick get outcoached.
All Sweat had to do was play that ball across to Lewis and it was a tap in. He missed the shot so bad, he almost did it accidentally.

Lewis should score if he isn't fouled. Jack has often scored from where he was fouled/went down. So we had what should have been 2 "Big Chances" via Lewis ruined by a ref and No Sweat, and another half-chance. Add to that the 3 we actually scored, and we could have put up 5.

538 numbers don't really back up the idea that we weren't dangerous. 1.6 non-shot xG was the highest put up the league this weekend that I saw in my 10 second look. Most weren't over 1 or even .6 or .7.

NYC NWY
Adjusted goals 3.2 2.1
Shot-based xG 2.6 1.4
Non-shot xG 1.6 0.8

All Sweat had to do was play that ball across to Lewis and it was a tap in. He missed the shot so bad, he almost did it accidentally.

Lewis should score if he isn't fouled. Jack has often scored from where he was fouled/went down. So we had what should have been 2 "Big Chances" via Lewis ruined by a ref and No Sweat, and another half-chance. Add to that the 3 we actually scored, and we could have put up 5.

538 numbers don't really back up the idea that we weren't dangerous. 1.6 non-shot xG was the highest put up the league this weekend that I saw in my 10 second look. Most weren't over 1 or even .6 or .7.

NYC NWY
Adjusted goals 3.2 2.1
Shot-based xG 2.6 1.4
Non-shot xG 1.6 0.8
But was Lewis in an offsides position on that one? It looked to me like he was, but I could be wrong

Reactions: Ulrich
IMO, Shelton's performance last night was peak Shelton. He shows these flashes and great athletic ability, but lacks the first touch and confidence to do much with it. And I think the lack of confidence is the biggest thing holding him back.

The play in the second half where a pass came to him at the top of the box, prime position to take a shot on net, and instead he paused, looked for a pass that wasn't there, then lost the ball.

Last year when he was producing for us, most of his production came in a stretch of games as he built up confidence. (additionally, most of those assists came with his head, or after he was somehow able to settle the ball).

He had one HORRENDOUS touch at the top of the 18 that took him 10 yards away from goal when we had stringed together a quick attacking move. Damn near launched a RB counter (or maybe did?).

The idea of shelton is great, 6'3, has speed and isnt afraid to go at defenders.
confident or not, i think he lacks the necessary soccer IQ to begin with at the MLS level at least. USL, NASL, he might actually do well. he has the tools, but doesn't seem to be getting better as he still does the same stuff, 3 years later. to be fair he looks like hes regressing.

The idea of shelton is great, 6'3, has speed and isnt afraid to go at defenders.
confident or not, i think he lacks the necessary soccer IQ to begin with at the MLS level at least. USL, NASL, he might actually do well. he has the tools, but doesn't seem to be getting better as he still does the same stuff, 3 years later. to be fair he looks like hes regressing.
I'm not yet certain if he lacks the IQ, but that could be it.

I think he's one of the guys on our roster that would really benefit from spending a whole year at a USL squad. At this point, I'm not expecting any starter quality from him, but send him away for a year and bring him back as an impact sub.

Shot chart for this game is interesting.

16 shots for each team. We had 10 on target, and they had 7, but look where the shots came from! We had 14 of 16 from inside the box - most from really good spots inside the box. New Jersey had 9 of 16 from outside the box, many from really far away.

View attachment 7340
What the hell was that one for NJ that missed so wide left?

Be fair. Bad decision or no, Sweat has had some good balls in from the wings this year.
He has, but not on the move and in tighter spaces. He's served some good ones from deeper when he had a lot of time. I seem to remember thinking that several of his good ones came from him checking it back to his right and then hitting it, too.

eta: and btw, it wasn't insulting (only) Sweat. It was meant to be a dig at our FO not getting us any damn fullbacks yet, and now we have only a couple of days.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT