Men In Blazers Interview Ferran Soriano

MikeDatTiger

Registered
Mar 21, 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
Soriano did an interview on their podcast, which is always great. But Soriano emphasized that NYCFC isn't a branding exercise for MCFC but instead talked about MCFC will benefit by developing players both by sending MCFC academy kids to NYC but also by establishing a NCYFC academy and developing American talent. It pretty much confirms all of my hopes about the club, and I'd recommend everyone to take a listen, you'll be very excited.

Reactions: Paul
Soriano did an interview on their podcast, which is always great. But Soriano emphasized that NYCFC isn't a branding exercise for MCFC but instead talked about MCFC will benefit by developing players both by sending MCFC academy kids to NYC but also by establishing a NCYFC academy and developing American talent. It pretty much confirms all of my hopes about the club, and I'd recommend everyone to take a listen, you'll be very excited.

I suck at finding these things. Even though i'm 28, I'm a 58y/o when it comes to technology lol! Can someone post a link please?!

Reactions: einwindir
I just hope those MC loanees can intergrate quickly.
You seem to really worry about loanee integration into our team that currently has only five players who have never played together. Would you worry as much if they were not from MCFC?

Just trying to better understand your continued concerns.

I appreciate the non-combative way that you have replied. So far whenever I say anything negative I am labeled heretical.

Simply put young loanees from other leagues have historically struggled in MLS. Some have been great but most do not. Simon Hawkins from Spurs did great at Quakes. But he is an exception. Its possible that MC will loan NYC only their best, perhaps the loanees so far, especially from EPL have been mediocre and thats why they have struggled, Could also be a different lifestyle or being far from home.

Thats my concern.

Reactions: SebastianBlue
I appreciate the non-combative way that you have replied. So far whenever I say anything negative I am labeled heretical.

Simply put young loanees from other leagues have historically struggled in MLS. Some have been great but most do not. Simon Hawkins from Spurs did great at Quakes. But he is an exception. Its possible that MC will loan NYC only their best, perhaps the loanees so far, especially from EPL have been mediocre and thats why they have struggled, Could also be a different lifestyle or being far from home.

Thats my concern.
I never mean to be combative and you are likely the least heretical poster we have.

I can understand those concerns but I get the impression the quality of our youth players is a bit different to what the MLS has seen in the past. Perhaps I am wrong, though.

Can anyone give examples of past loan players coming from the Premier League (and their clubs at the time) that were not successful (in whatever way you would like to qualify)?

I never mean to be combative and you are likely the least heretical poster we have.

I can understand those concerns but I get the impression the quality of our youth players is a bit different to what the MLS has seen in the past. Perhaps I am wrong, though.

Can anyone give examples of past loan players coming from the Premier League (and their clubs at the time) that were not successful (in whatever way you would like to qualify)?
Grant Ward from Spurs starts for Chicago now but is just lost (like rest of that team). Hogan Ephraim (QPR), John Bostock (Spurs) to TFC last year. Terrible.

Theres more, but the only good one is Hawkins.

Sorriano is awesome. He seems like a guy that gets it. Loved his responses.
He is a very astute man wih quite a lot of experience and a vision for all of CFG's clubs to be dominant in their leagues. NYCFC is in good hands.

Grant Ward from Spurs starts for Chicago now but is just lost (like rest of that team). Hogan Ephraim (QPR), John Bostock (Spurs) to TFC last year. Terrible.

Theres more, but the only good one is Hawkins.
There seems to be a pattern. Neither club are known to have a particularly good academy or scouting networks. If MLS had previously received top young talent from Southampton (academy), Chelsea (scouting networks), MCFC (academy and now scouting networks), Arsenal (scouting networks), or Derby County (academy) and they had struggled I would be concerned.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of player you'll have in your squad.

Last edited:

Thats my concern.

The best thing we have going for us in this regard is the existing CFG infrastructure. They should definitely understand the need for handlers and the particular maturity level needed for a player to maintain focus in a place like NYC.

I will definitely withhold judgment about loan players until they begin play. I'm pretty excited about it, actually. It's an opportunity to open the floodgates for other big clubs to send young talent here and that should help raise the level of play of the league while bridging the gap as the clubs' respective DAs continue ramping up and maturing into consistent talent producers.

I want to see NYCFC start a proper academy ASAP. I think given the resources available, there's no reason it shouldnt become the La Masia of the Americas. Paraphrasing what Soriano says in the interview, the US is rich in the athletic ability and competitive drive required of a world class player. For me, it's not even about getting every single world class athlete to play soccer. That's not necessary because we have so many athletically gifted kids due to population and our sporting culture. All we need is a venue for exposing kids to the opportunities. As the game rises in profile and public consciousness, that will continue to be easier. Take Deandre Yedlin, for example. Twenty years ago, he'd be battling for a special teams/nickel back slot on an NFL roster, where he'd maybe have a 5 year career - 8 or 9 if he were extremely fortunate. Because he had the opportunity to follow a path to a soccer career, it looks as though he will make much more money and highlight his world class athleticism in a game better suited to his physical stature and talents. He'll also have more opportunities for outside income, as he's a borderline household name already. By the time 2018 gets here, he will be a certifiable celebrity here.

Having the systems in place allow guys like him to be discovered. It's also evidence of the changing of the guard and US soccer infrastructure reaching more than wealthy suburban white kids. Yedlin has that edge that few American players have had: he's fucking fearless. For too long, American players seemed to work hard and believe in the team's ability to win, but they lacked the confidence to individually go after people. For a long time, Dempsey's the one guy who had it. Nowadays, DY has it. Fagundez has it. Rubio Rubin and Pulisic have it by the ton. Akale, Boxi and Emo have it. Lettget would be showing it if Big Sam wasn't a fucking putz who wasn't aware that the rules allow you to play the ball on the ground, not just kick and chase and send in blind crosses.

We're finally getting close to having some footballers with a little NBA attitude. NYCFC can benefit from this as well as be the big catalyst to take it to the next level. I think we're in for a lot of exciting times as NYCFC supporters, and even more as US supporters (you England folks, well...Let's leave that out until Roy is gone).

Let's line up and play today. I'm absolutely fucking amped for this NYCFC team, this cycle of int'l play with all of the great tourneys and the continued growth of MLS. It's all symbiotic and synergistic, and we are here to see it unfold. Fuck yeah.

Can't lie your post got me amped
the-greatest-handshake-of-all-time.gif

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
God damn, you just got me amped. And a Rubio Rubin reference to boot!

God damn, you just got me amped. And a Rubio Rubin reference to boot!
Rubio is a badass little dude. He was looking good enough in 1st team friendlies before he got his nose broken that they trashed the agreement from March and gave him a new 4 yr deal just this week. I'm excited to see how he develops in the next couple of years. It'll be interesting to see if guys like him and Julian end up on the Olympic team or with big boys at Copa America.

Julian's ahead of him developmentally and probably a touch more talented, but Rubio could have an opportunity to bag a few 1st team goals in limited time this year and really pour them in next year as a full time first squad selection. I think they will likely be really complementary, especially with Pulisic's vision and ability to split defenses.

Flores is another big talent, but he's got so much rust from lack of match time that he's going to need this whole year with BVB II and u19 to get acclimated to team play. It really hurts our guys that go to Europe when they sign early and then have to sit around until they're 18. Hopefully, we'll be signing these guys up to come to our world class academy to continue their maturation.

Rubin's performance in the Dallas cup was a real coming out party. And in that same thought, don't leave out Lynden Gooch from your list, who performed admirably as well.

Rubin's performance in the Dallas cup was a real coming out party. And in that same thought, don't leave out Lynden Gooch from your list, who performed admirably as well.
Actually, I had already chided myself for leaving him out. He's gutsy.

Looked good in this match. As did my boy who rocks the old school black boots. It's just too bad for Tommy Thompson that he's stuck at a team that totally doesn't fit him.

Oh, and in case you thought tomthom only had moves on the field, check this out.