MLS - April 17 - D.C. (Away)

Did we get a left back or are we going to play a full season with that festering pile of Scandinavian poo keeping the shirt?

he’s so limited.
If you're talking about Gudi, i think he will play the first 4 games and then Amundson and Gloster will take the starting spot from him. Then this winter he will be as "gudi" as gone.

Last edited:
Could also be a 4-4-2 diamond. I agree on Medina unfortunately

he hasn't mentioned anything about playing the diamond so i don't think he'll just throw that in there. 3 man back line to take advantage of Sands's ability to play a solid CB allowing them to overload the wings is what he wants. He loves his overloads. It's all he talks about when talking about how he wants to attack.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm a Jets fan and a Tottenham fan. I've seen a lot of bad coaching recently.

When a team generally trends worse over the course of the game, that's coaching. Lack of adaptation, lack of fitness, lack of focus. That's my take.

Plus, our possession players in midfield-- Maxi, Medina, Parks-- were not effective.

I'm a Jets fan and a Tottenham fan. I've seen a lot of bad coaching recently.

When a team generally trends worse over the course of the game, that's coaching. Lack of adaptation, lack of fitness, lack of focus. That's my take.

Plus, our possession players in midfield-- Maxi, Medina, Parks-- were not effective.

agree. i think lack of fitness/sharpness played a huge part in this game. DC were fitter and it was apparent. First to the ball most of the time and definitely more energy throughout the game. We were done after about 30 minutes in.

Not much to say... first game against a better prepared side. The result was fair in that regard.

Good to see Morales, Amundsen, and Jasson get a run. I think those 3 will become important players for us as the season goes on. Gudi continues to suck in actual games now that preseason is over.

Our usually solid midfield 3 were not on their game today and it showed. Isi was also poor but at least he's not injured. FItness is probably the biggest factor once again.

Medina and Taty had good games. I'd give them 6.5/10. Everyone else was 5 or worse.

Amundsen looked better than Gudi in his short cameo. That, of course, is not a ringing endorsement. Alfredo Morales looked really good. Very composed on the ball, deciding quickly and accurately, and really trying to push the team forward. Maxi was particularly out of it until the last 10 minutes. Medina at his ceiling: a few amazing flicks, a lot of getting pushed off the ball. Even Sands was unusually poor. Let's hope it improves. If we're gonna get this version of Maxi it's going to be a long season.

There, I've said something nice. Now,

Four players who started on opening day last year are gone (3 for good and 1 injured since last summer). Yet everyone who started today was on the roster last year. I go back and forth on whether I think our rebuild is a disaster or just a crazy set of circumstances for which you cannot blame our front office. But how TF do you lose 4 Opening Day starters and obtain ZERO, NONE, ZIP, NADA new replacements ready to play for ANY of them more than a year later?!?!?!

We had one freaking offensive bench option. ONE. And people think we should trade Taty now because it's best, in the long run. Players will want to play here.

Everyone, EVERYONE, knew Gudi was sub par. So we signed not one but 2 new left backs, and apparently neither one was a better option today. We signed Amundsen more than two GORAM months ago. Was there really not a single LB in the FRAKKING world
who could have gotten here on time to, you know, play maybe 10 minutes of preseason and be in shape for our first game? Malte was the only option? And we just let him do whatever TF he wanted* for 2 months instead of, you know, his JOB! Just like when Lamp fat ass took a motherflipping honeymoon in the middle of 2015, when he was already 6 months late. Because letting players make their own schedule and take 2 months off before joining the team helps recruiting in the long run. Which would sound somewhat slightly less ridiculous if the club showed any intent of signing players to replace the FOUR players not available from Game One last year.

And by the way,
we still have no backup 10.

And WTF did Ian keep talking about tired legs? It's Game Bloody One AND THEY'RE TIRED? Then late in the game when the result is clear he says Deila and the team clearly have a lot of work to do on the training ground but there's plenty of time to get it right. JFC the entire starting eleven and the coach have been together for more than 12 months how much TIME do they need?

And what's up with people dying their hair grey? On both teams!?!?!?!?

* Don't even come at me with this pandemic visa complication BS. Nobody else in MLS needed 2 full months to get clearance. Malte wanted 2 months off and we gave it to him so Thor could pass backwards and be slow.

giphy.gif

There, I've said something nice. Now,

Four players who started on opening day last year are gone (3 for good and 1 injured since last summer). Yet everyone who started today was on the roster last year. I go back and forth on whether I think our rebuild is a disaster or just a crazy set of circumstances for which you cannot blame our front office. But how TF do you lose 4 Opening Day starters and obtain ZERO, NONE, ZIP, NADA new replacements ready to play for ANY of them more than a year later?!?!?!

We had one freaking offensive bench option. ONE. And people think we should trade Taty now because it's best, in the long run. Players will want to play here.

Everyone, EVERYONE, knew Gudi was sub par. So we signed not one but 2 new left backs, and apparently neither one was a better option today. We signed Amundsen more than two GORAM months ago. Was there really not a single LB in the FRAKKING world
who could have gotten here on time to, you know, play maybe 10 minutes of preseason and be in shape for our first game? Malte was the only option? And we just let him do whatever TF he wanted* for 2 months instead of, you know, his JOB! Just like when Lamp fat ass took a motherflipping honeymoon in the middle of 2015, when he was already 6 months late. Because letting players make their own schedule and take 2 months off before joining the team helps recruiting in the long run. Which would sound somewhat slightly less ridiculous if the club showed any intent of signing players to replace the FOUR players not available from Game One last year.

And by the way,
we still have no backup 10.

And WTF did Ian keep talking about tired legs? It's Game Bloody One AND THEY'RE TIRED? Then late in the game when the result is clear he says Deila and the team clearly have a lot of work to do on the training ground but there's plenty of time to get it right. JFC the entire starting eleven and the coach have been together for more than 12 months how much TIME do they need?

And what's up with people dying their hair grey? On both teams!?!?!?!?

* Don't even come at me with this pandemic visa complication BS. Nobody else in MLS needed 2 full months to get clearance. Malte wanted 2 months off and we gave it to him so Thor could pass backwards and be slow.

giphy.gif

Absolutely. No excuse for not being in shape. They are professionals but your job as a coach is that they are ALL FIT TO PLAY FROM DAY ONE. there is no reason any one on the roster should have any trouble going a full 90 minutes at match speed from day one. That is what preseason is for. It's not for messing around and playing 5v2 and then stand around some more... and some more agility drills that everyone seems to half ass.

This is a failure by the coach. DC was better prepared and it showed. They may not have had better quality than us on paper, but they were better prepared and we got caught with our pants down around our tired ankles. There was no determination or change in attitude that I saw. A true desire to win something would have meant being prepared to play like a well oiled machine from day one.

This result wasn't about not being able to finish in the box.. we couldn't even win 50/50 balls or pass around a press. That is on Ronny and the players. Moreso on Ronny because he needs to demand these things.

Was it me or did it seem like Gudi was getting way to much of the ball. WTF was Taty doing switching play in the the final third to Gudi when ITS was right there in the waning minutes of the match. ITS had the best shot on goal all night. I know he has his shortcomings but damn...
My eyes are incapable of seeing the brilliance that the stats apparently tell us regarding Parks. Did he do anything an tonight more memorable other than his signature tripping over ones own feet move?
Why do we generally suck in the final third.
And why are we are generally bad at the start of the season. I don’t understand.
NYCFC looked sloppy for close to seventy minutes tonight. Someone splash some cold water in my face and tell me something good to keep me off the ledge.

Last edited: