MLS - August 14 - Miami (RBA)

Just watched the match as I’m out of town and the cloud DVR attempt from last night was destroyed by the Yankee game.
Good win. My main takeaway is that they have looked like this a lot this year and they got a just result, when many times they have played better and not gotten that.

The Taty discussion on the Pumas thread comes to mind. I’d rather have a guy like him creating lots of chances and fluffing a few than not creating chances. The thing we don’t always take into account is the pressure and stress he constantly puts on the opposition defenders. As a defender myself, I always hated facing players like him. He may not always finish but he is everywhere and hard to keep track of. It’s exhausting.

The other weird thing I noticed early in the match was that Sands and Chanot didn’t seem to want to pass to Tinner. He was all alone out there many times and yet they went small and inside over and over. As the match went on they started getting the ball to him with good results.

Also, Thiago had a lot of poor touches in the first half. It was weird. And then he wins the penalty with a touch of magic.

The team is stacked. The team is attractive. The team has had an uncanny combination of bad luck and occasional lapses this year and it feels like a return to the mean can only mean more goals and more wins.

P.S. I sometimes find it hard to enjoy a Panenka for as much as I hate a Panenka against. So I’m just gonna keep reminding myself about that one.
I like them not for their flair or embarrassment factor- making a keeper look foolish is not exactly hard on a pk. But I think regular pk takers who occasionally throw a panenka every so often create even more uncertainty for opposing keepers which adds marginal value overall.

Last edited:
I had a fun moment late in the match sitting near the Miami bench.

There were a bunch of fanboys who were lining up to get autographs from the Miami players starting right before added time. I yelled out, "You guys get the autographs, we'll take the win!"