Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. Inter Miami CF
Saturday, August 14 8 PM ET
Red Bull Arena
Univision, TUDN, Twitter

EDIT: When match was moved from Yankee Stadium to RBA because of a Yankees' rainout, the time of the match also changed from 3:30 PM to 8 PM.

Last edited:
We should be able to hold our own today with a B team. Our B team is still good. Pumas was a must win with the lineup we had out there. Now if we draw or lose here due to resting players it’ll be a massive letdown.

Reactions: moogoo
We should be able to hold our own today with a B team. Our B team is still good. Pumas was a must win with the lineup we had out there. Now if we draw or lose here due to resting players it’ll be a massive letdown.

miami are feeling good with their recent form. in no way are they dominating anybody but they are playing tough and squeezing out results.

for whatever reason, we have let miami into the game couple times we've played them despite being the much better team. hopefully, we don't play down to their level tonight and completely obliterate them. i want to embarrass them like the revs did. that would help me get over the pumas loss. shame we can't play them at YS.

i don't even know what our B-team would be, which just shows how deep we are. Of course there are better players for specific positions, but it is not a huge drop off anywhere except for maybe at keeper or CB.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
miami are feeling good with their recent form. in no way are they dominating anybody but they are playing tough and squeezing out results.

for whatever reason, we have let miami into the game couple times we've played them despite being the much better team. hopefully, we don't play down to their level tonight and completely obliterate them. i want to embarrass them like the revs did. that would help me get over the pumas loss. shame we can't play them at YS.

i don't even know what our B-team would be, which just shows how deep we are. Of course there are better players for specific positions, but it is not a huge drop off anywhere except for maybe at keeper or CB.
I'm not sure I would phrase us as being the much better team either time we played Miami last year.

In the first match in MLS is Back, both sides struggled to get anything going offensively. We lacked creativity and movement and thankfully had the one through ball from Mitrita to Isi to get the goal. Expected goals were 0.8 for NYC and 0.3 for Miami.

When we won at Miami last year, our xG was 1.1 compared to their 1.2 and we only had 41% possession.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'm not sure I would phrase us as being the much better team either time we played Miami last year.

In the first match in MLS is Back, both sides struggled to get anything going offensively. We lacked creativity and movement and thankfully had the one through ball from Mitrita to Isi to get the goal. Expected goals were 0.8 for NYC and 0.3 for Miami.

When we won at Miami last year, our xG was 1.1 compared to their 1.2 and we only had 41% possession.

i should clarify. by much better team, i meant our actual potential and how we know this team can play. we played down to miami the two times we played them and didn't play the flowing and attacking soccer we usually do.

your point made me think, is it me or does ronny not really prioritize possession as much these days? i haven't looked, but just from my faulty memory, it seems like our possession stat rarely breaks the 60% mark anymore, whereas we used to consistently be 60-70%. is this an indication of our much higher attack rate? I am perfectly ok with the possession stat going down. We are attacking and creating chances, which is the point. There's no fun in possession that gets us no where.

i should clarify. by much better team, i meant our actual potential and how we know this team can play. we played down to miami the two times we played them and didn't play the flowing and attacking soccer we usually do.

your point made me think, is it me or does ronny not really prioritize possession as much these days? i haven't looked, but just from my faulty memory, it seems like our possession stat rarely breaks the 60% mark anymore, whereas we used to consistently be 60-70%. is this an indication of our much higher attack rate? I am perfectly ok with the possession stat going down. We are attacking and creating chances, which is the point. There's no fun in possession that gets us no where.
I think Ronny does generally want to keep the ball more, but realizes it’s not always that important.

Our second match against Montreal, he wanted to cede possession and he said as much going into the game and afterwards. That was part of the reason for that match he played Maxi out as LW the whole game with Jesus at the 10.

Very energetic and satisfying performance tonight. Really enjoyed watching this one. We could of scored more had a couple final touches and passes gone our way. Looked like the guys were having fun out there. Hats off to Taty, two brilliant goals.

good win. nice to see talles get some minutes and hope he can get more going forward. looked strong on the ball and had good vision. just needs to clean up his runs and get more match fitness, i think.

said this in the chat, but santi obviously has great chemistry with everyone on the team. passes just seem to flow so well when he's involved. his movement is also fantastic.

onto the next. we can take down philly.

and red bulls just lost at the death. lol.

good win. nice to see talles get some minutes and hope he can get more going forward. looked strong on the ball and had good vision. just needs to clean up his runs and get more match fitness, i think.

said this in the chat, but santi obviously has great chemistry with everyone on the team. passes just seem to flow so well when he's involved. his movement is also fantastic.

onto the next. we can take down philly.

and red bulls just lost at the death. lol.
Magno looked much better tonight.

Happy with the win. We needed that badly.

We won a lot of one on one challenges tonight.

Would have liked a bigger difference in the scoreline, but three points is three points.

Miami seems to be an underperforming squad with the number of names they have. I guess being a player under Alex Ferguson doesn't mean you're good manager material.

Allan Kelly called a good game tonight.

This team is really good. They are so deep all over the field.

Malte or Gudi. Parks, Sands, Acevedo, or Morales. Chanot, Callens, or Sands. Maxi or Santi. Thiago, Isi, Talles, or Medina. Castellanos, Talles, or (hopefully) Heber ... my god. We can bring so many impact players in off the bench. It's breathtaking. The roster build is incredible.

Malte or Gudi. Parks, Sands, Acevedo, or Morales. Chanot, Callens, or Sands. Maxi or Santi. Thiago, Isi, Talles, or Medina. Castellanos, Talles, or (hopefully) Heber ... my god. We can bring so many impact players in off the bench. It's breathtaking. The roster build is incredible.
When we brought both Medina and Rodriguez off the bench together, I thought, wow, that we can bring players like that off the bench and yet not feel weak and rotated at kickoff is amazing. Also, that I would think that about Medina is quite a change.

Johnson had a strong, unremarkable game, which is exactly what you wish your goalkeeper to have. Our defense again allowed an almost unnaturally low xGA - 0.30.

M moogoo said something in chat worth repeating, and he already posted here so I don't think i'm stepping on his lines: the team has developed the instinct of just playing the ball deep into open space in front of Andrade and expecting him to run and do something with it. It didn't pan out last night but it's not a bad habit to have on occasion.

Maxi was tired in the second half, and it's great to have Rodriguez so that you can swap Maxi for Magno and and not wonder who can do what Maxi does. But I also think Maxi has been better the last few games. For a while I thought we played better without him this year. I think he's turned that around.

Last edited:
Kind of an uneventful game last night after the Pumas debacle on Wednesday, which is kind of what the team needed - they played solid team defense, scored on their chances in the first half, and then managed the game out in the second half. At no point in the second half did you feel Miami was growing into the game and was never that dangerous - exactly how a mature team plays. Get your goals and then manage the game out.

Good job rotating and…wait for it…Ronny made the right subs. First, he had to take out Malte as Malte was getting roasted in the first half. Ronny wasn’t hesitant to make the switch at halftime. Then, the dual switch for Santi and Medina around 65’, giving Santi a few minutes with Maxi and switching out your front wingers.

Next was giving Maxi a rest and integrating Talles Magno. Ronny even subbed Taty to get Taty some rest, which you can say might have been done a little earlier, but with Taty on two goals you give him some leeway.

Also there was a moment in the second half where a bunch of fans were ragging on Higuain and Gonzalo made a little blah blah blah hand motion with his hand. Guess he should have smoked some more cigarettes while playing in the first half.

yep they literally are almost two deep at every position, and can definitely rotate. Only issue is striker but with Heber back and potentially integrating Talles at the 9 you could fix that in the second half.

Nice. This is the kind of thing I've been feeling has been happening more with this team. There were moments last night where I feel like I'm watching a different NYCFC. It seems like there is sentiment that the team didn't dominate so much last night but I thought there were little stretches where NYCFC was totally outclassing Miami. Of any game I've attended, Miami generally looked like the most clunky of any opponent.

I'm starting to feel more worried about the defense allowing goals than the offense scoring. With so much going well on creating chances, as good as the defense has been, I feel there is still a tendency for some boneheaded shoot yourself in the foot type of play. Last night I thought there was going to be a repeat of the a'la 2019 Citi Field Chanot to Pozuelo to Net. Not sure Johnson is looking a sharp as he has in the past.