MLS - August 24 - Chicago (Home - CF)

Incredibly inconsistent. At one point looked like cruising to 4-0 and then lost the plot, combined with Tayvon doing a chicken impression at the worst time to throw away 2 points.

They are what they are - an incredibly inconsistent team that will finish between 5-7 in the table and get bounced in the first round.

This is a real low point though, especially when you look at Miami going up 2, getting a red card, and seeing out the result. That’s what a trophy winning team does. Not us.

Reactions: LionNYC
Yeah this one feels BAD. I was at the game. We were utterly, almost embarrassingly dominant in the first half. Inconceivable that we couldn’t see that win out.

We had momentum coming out of leagues Cup and we threw it away.

Reactions: Revfugee
well i didnt watch live. went to appleTV to watch the replay. but they updated the website and reset all the score display settings so the final score was staring me right in the face. didn't even bother watching the game and just watched the highlights. looks like we threw away 2 points. sucks.

this young team needs to learn how to finish out a game. risa can't defend 1v1 and lack of help on that first goal was shameful.

oh well. onto the next. at least the red bulls didn't gain any additional points on us.. but if we don't improve our mentality, we'll be one and done in the playoffs...

well i didnt watch live. went to appleTV to watch the replay. but they updated the website and reset all the score display settings so the final score was staring me right in the face. didn't even bother watching the game and just watched the highlights. looks like we threw away 2 points. sucks.

this young team needs to learn how to finish out a game. risa can't defend 1v1 and lack of help on that first goal was shameful.

oh well. onto the next. at least the red bulls didn't gain any additional points on us.. but if we don't improve our mentality, we'll be one and done in the playoffs...

I think the broader issue is roster depth. Sands, Maxi, Martinez, and Santi all looked understandably tired in the second half due to all the miles we put on them in the cup. I don't blame Cushing for the substitutions but once you got past our starting XI tonight (plus the injured Perea and Jones) our roster quality drops off a cliff.

Yeah this one feels BAD. I was at the game. We were utterly, almost embarrassingly dominant in the first half. Inconceivable that we couldn’t see that win out.

We had momentum coming out of leagues Cup and we threw it away

We had momentum coming out of leagues Cup and we threw it away.
this. Completely WTF.

Santi was fouled in the box. That puts us up potentially 3-0. Refereeing was subpar tonight. Still the team should have put the game away sooner. Some questionable substitutions and formations at the end.

A -150 NYCFC bet lost in the end. Fucking hell. A terrible night.

Reactions: Revfugee
I think the broader issue is roster depth. Sands, Maxi, Martinez, and Santi all looked understandably tired in the second half due to all the miles we put on them in the cup. I don't blame Cushing for the substitutions but once you got past our starting XI tonight (plus the injured Perea and Jones) our roster quality drops off a cliff.
At least a little on Nick too. I would have liked to see Keaton off for Haak instead of Santi. And Ojeda instead of Julian.

Reactions: LionNYC
I’m just pissed. I’m not disappointed or upset. I’m just angry. This is a Cushing out performance.

Reactions: Kenny
I don’t think our it’s that our quality falls off a cliff other than Santi and Maxi. The issue is that the second stringers don’t seem to have any familiarity with each other

• all of the above
  • the team is young
  • I don't see the veterans helping much with that (to be fair I'm not there so maybe they try and there's no helping some of these kids)
  • but that was a really stupid handball from someone who's now been around long enough to know better
  • if Callens and Chanot were here I'm very certain one or both speak to Gray quietly but firmly after the game
  • I don't have any confidence who is talking to Gray like that tonight
  • the roster is mediocre, overweighted with forwards who don't score, leaving holes everywhere else
  • 1.5 PPG is a perfectly deserved PPG for this team
  • nearly the entire first half was played in our offensive end, and we only took 6 shots while allowing 6
  • the 12 total shots is below team average for the year, and the team average shots taken is mediocre by league standards, and bad by historic NYCFC standards

Last edited: