MLS - July 17 - Columbus (Away)

So offensively, we miss Matarrita and haven’t replaced Heber. Defensively, we miss Ring. That’s the personnel story I’m reading into these stats.
Good thing we spent the Ring money on Amundsen and the Matarrita money on Morales.

acevedo is growing into a ring as time goes on. he's become more physical and is learning about how MLS is. his playing has improved a lot since his first start while keeping that bit of passing touch.

we are definitely missing mata offensively though. he definitely has the edge over gudi going forward due to his speed and dribbling. not to mention, he is a natural left back and has the speed and stamina to get back to play defense more than gudi. mata has his faults for sure, but it's definitely a downgrade to gudi. to be fair to gudi, he's not a left back and has admitted as much. learning the position at a pro level with no prior experience can't be easy when he's lacking in speed, which would help him cover for his poor defensive positioning (again, something he is having to learn).

With Sands back, I think our back line is pretty tight. As long as no one has a stinker of a game, we are one of the stingiest defenses in the league. Some keeper mishaps and poor freekick wall building decisions have us losing games we should have tied and tying games we should have won. If our attack can catch up to our xG, we should be ok. But so far that's a big IF with taty seeming to have some major Yips and thiago still growing into the league.

Personally, I think if we gave Santi more time, we would see more improvements. Even with his limited minutes, he's shown lots of energy and the willingness to take people on and/or make the pass when it's there. I think it's too early to say whether he has the vision Maxi has, but his energy to get around the field and make those runs is well above the aging maxi. I don't know how long his loan is for, but I hope ronny uses him more.

I think Acevedo is a nice little player, but Ring was a much better player.
I don’t think Sands is a like for like replacement. Morales was supposed to be the replacement. I think of all of our signings, he’s been the most disappointing. Bundesliga stalwart comes in and doesn’t show it. Good thing is we have a lot of depth at that position.

I also think we lack athleticism. Ring and Mata were terrific athletes.

I don’t think Sands is a like for like replacement. Morales was supposed to be the replacement. I think of all of our signings, he’s been the most disappointing. Bundesliga stalwart comes in and doesn’t show it. Good thing is we have a lot of depth at that position.

you have to remember acevedo is very young. ring has had much more experience at high levels. 2 years ago, sands was good but not the beast he is today. acevedo needs to grow as well.

He was a mostly starter for some really bad Bundesliga teams. The kind of guy that started out playing 90 a game each year, but minutes declined throughout.

We may have overestimated him a bit.

REF: Ted Unkel
AR1: Adam Wienckowski
AR2: Ryan Graves
4TH: Thomas Snyder
VAR: José Carlos Rivero
AVAR: Thomas Supple

• Sad
Reactions: moogoo
I feel like if this team continues to play this way throughout the rest of the season, we're going to have a lot of wins under our belt. Finishing can be streaky, but surely we're going to snap out of this finishing slump soon. This team is starting to look to me as if they are one of the best rosters in MLS.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I feel like if this team continues to play this way throughout the rest of the season, we're going to have a lot of wins under our belt. Finishing can be streaky, but surely we're going to snap out of this finishing slump soon. This team is starting to look to me as if they are one of the best rosters in MLS.

I think on paper we have one of the best squads. I'll believe it when I see it, and I know we can beat any team in MLS on our day. The problem is we need to... you know... be on that day...

Reactions: Kjbert
I think on paper we have one of the best squads. I'll believe it when I see it, and I know we can beat any team in MLS on our day. The problem is we need to... you know... be on that day...

We play 2 more matches against New England. We're not playing Seattle or Kansas City. Our only Western Conference opponent is last place Dallas. So, we don't have a lot of real tests this season and may give us false hope come the playoffs.