MLS - July 17 - Columbus (Away)

I’m ambivalent TBH. I mostly think circumstances and team history have us in a corner, and while we’re stuck here I’d rather choose to pretend to like him than convince myself it’s all his fault when the organization is the issue.
I think you’re really right. The lack of dedication from the ownership filters down to every level. We will not be a team with heart until something changes.

Reactions: Kjbert
Dome had thin skin and ran away. Eff him. Ronny was the result of a incompetently handled search, and I had low expectations, but this team has fallen apart for the first 15-20 games under every new coach and I'd much rather see Ronny get maybe at least one normal season with an actual front line then start that process all over again. Let him have that, and if he fails, he had his shot and we can deal with the whole slow start under a new coach crap again. But you fire Ronny now after the roster mismanagement he had to deal with and good luck hiring someone. We basically had every CFG coaching prospect run away from us after Dome quit. Who would look at Ronny getting fired with a winning record while mostly having no front line depth, and say, oh, now I want to work for that organization?

I mean, I'd like for once to have the same coach for a few years before they quit on us or we fire them. The only coach who managed 2 full seasons with us then quit mid-fucking season. So we built a team for Torrent to make a 2-3 year run with roster stability and he quit after 1.5 years. Then Ronny comes in, has to deal with the weirdest damn season imaginable before you even account for having 30% and then 50% of our front line disappearing with no reinforcements (except for Jasson). He deals with that for ~20 games during which we never were shut out and we undergo another roster rebuild which we just about finished and 3-4 games into it people are ready to give up because we lost 2 games in a row -- both on the road and both with irregular schedules -- for the first time in 31 games? Sands is out. Neither Magno nor Santi have even played 90 minutes yet. So let's give up on this project before it's too late. I don't get it.

Can Ronny have one full season -- I'll even take one that straddles 2021 and 2022 -- with a complete roster before we announce failure and blow it up again??

I’ll always take dome’s side vs this FO, the team was built for PV who is the one that left mid season. Dome couldn’t even get a striker to try and replace villa in before the 2019 season, took forever to get heber, and let the GVB rumors fly wild. He never had the backing of the FO.

Ronny actually has the backing of the FO and he is not getting fired till the end of season, if that. However he too complained of needing better quality players. He got new signings and just now Thiago is starting. However his coaching is still questionable, the team at times just doesn’t even know how to attack there is no idea it feels all static. And he takes forever to make subs and feels like he wants to rely on wonder plays like Thiago vs dc to get points. I also don’t like his experiments, ring on the wing( while it led to a few goals his best position is that DM role, look at him in Austin that’s where he is doing well) Jason as a RB, morales as a CB, I think all of those have failed.

he’s getting all of 2021 but to me he is just not the guy to coach the team past 2021 if he exits first round again in playoffs or fails to make playoffs. If I’m wrong at end of year and he’s lifting the mls cup then great I’ll say I’m wrong, but doesn’t look good now.

We played match on the road without two critical players. Their first goal was against the run of play and occurred in large part due to a mistake by a guy who just got back from international duty and our keeper could have done better. Their second goal occurred because of one of our key absences and possibly a bad foul call (I never saw a replay.)

Other than those moments, we were generally in control of the game.

Is there a soccer equivalent to WAR? We really need SJ and Sands back.

Last edited:
I’m not questioning the heart tonight. The team clearly wanted it and ran into a bad away situation, and a terrible ref. In addition to all the ricdiculaous yellows, call that led to the Zel free kick was soft (Cacha was excellent, downright Ringlike tonight). If we play like this every time we will win a lot of matches.
The Montreal match was a stinker. This was not that.

I'll admit I was very tired when I watched this game on replay tonight, so I may not have had the sharpest attention, but the feeling I kept having over and over was that I couldn't identify anything that looked like coherent patterns of attack.

Is Ronny in the "in the final third it's up to the players" camp of management?

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC leads the East in goals per game.

Our keepers have cost us points in -- very conservatively -- 4 games DC, ORL, CLB, CLB. One could make a case to add New England and Montreal to the list.

Yet there is a widespread belief that our problem is offense -- here, Twitter, Reddit. People are crazy. We have scored more goals than anyone in the East game to game. And you cannot rely on the 5 goals against Cincinnati any more to claim our total is inflated. DC has a 7-goal game. Nashville and Orlando both have 5 goal games. Montreal has a 5 and a 4, and Cincinnati has a 4. Big number games are not rare. They happen and they count.

Our keepers have killed us, which almost everyone acknowledges but for some reason few want to accept that that is the problem. But we would have 4-9 more points with average goalkeeping.

Last edited:

Our keepers have cost us points in -- very conservatively -- 4 games DC, ORL, CLB, CLB. One could make a case to add New England and Montreal to the list.

Yet there is a widespread belief that our problem is offense -- here, Twitter, Reddit. People are crazy. We have scores more goals than anyone in the East game to game. And you cannot rely on the 5 goals against Cincinnati any more to claim our total is inflated. DC has a 7-goal game. Nashville and Orlando both have 5 goal games. Montreal has a 5 and a 4, and Cincinnati has a 4. Big number games are not rare. They happen and they count.

Our keepers have killed us, which almost everyone acknowledges but for some reason few want to accept that that is the problem. But we would have 4-9 more points with average goalkeeping.
Fire Ronny and this team lacks passion is just much easier to say though

So I watched the replay and Zelarayan's free kick was taken 2-3 yards closer to the goal than where the foul happened.

Foul location
Free kick location

Still doesn't exclude Barazza's terrible wave at the ball, but it may have made a difference. Agree with the bad keeping this season. Johnson's suffered a severe dropoff in quality from 2 years ago, and Barazza is clearly not MLS level. Cody Mizell time?

Yet there is a widespread belief that our problem is offense -- here, Twitter, Reddit. People are crazy. We have scores more goals than anyone in the East game to game. And you cannot rely on the 5 goals against Cincinnati any more to claim our total is inflated. DC has a 7-goal game. Nashville and Orlando both have 5 goal games. Montreal has a 5 and a 4, and Cincinnati has a 4. Big number games are not rare. They happen and they count.

Also, a huge issue IMO this year is last year we had two of the best fullbacks in the league (the two best if you look at g+).

This year the LB situation is weak and Tinnerholm has been a bit of a shell of himself so far.

Yet there is a widespread belief that our problem is offense -- here, Twitter, Reddit. People are crazy. We have scored more goals than anyone in the East game to game. And you cannot rely on the 5 goals against Cincinnati any more to claim our total is inflated. DC has a 7-goal game. Nashville and Orlando both have 5 goal games. Montreal has a 5 and a 4, and Cincinnati has a 4. Big number games are not rare. They happen and they count.

I think the issue is that we came out of the gates this season striking on all cylinders. Taty, Medina and Isi were all putting them home. The last couple games, hopes were high -- we had big breaks to integrate young and exciting talent and it seems like they've probably been our two worst offensive games this season. It just doesn't feel like this ship is sailing in the right direction.

I agree with you whole-heartedly on poor keeper play this year, I just also think there's a valid reason lots of folks are frustrated with the O the last few games.

Dang these last two games have been frustrating...

It's also only a two-game losing streak, both road games. They had won 3 of their previous four, and now go home for three straight, where hopefully the results can be improved. Also after Wednesday, we only have two more RBA games left, assuming the Yankees miss the playoffs. I think being at Yankee Stadium in front of our fans will be really helpful for the team to start feeling like a more normal season.

Clearly the goaltending has not been good enough this year, and Luis Barraza is just not good enough. Seems like a good kid -- seems like everyone badly wants him to succeed, but he's just not good enough.

It's a frustrating game, but at least they rebounded from that awful performance against Montreal. Still think this team is capable of really good things this season, and I bet we start to see some of that in the coming weeks. We have so much depth now, which will really come help us during this crazy stretch we're in. YES said yesterday that we're playing a game every four days until October. Our depth is going to be massive as we go through this.

It's also only a two-game losing streak, both road games. They had won 3 of their previous four, and now go home for three straight, where hopefully the results can be improved. Also after Wednesday, we only have two more RBA games left, assuming the Yankees miss the playoffs. I think being at Yankee Stadium in front of our fans will be really helpful for the team to start feeling like a more normal season.

Clearly the goaltending has not been good enough this year, and Luis Barraza is just not good enough. Seems like a good kid -- seems like everyone badly wants him to succeed, but he's just not good enough.

It's a frustrating game, but at least they rebounded from that awful performance against Montreal. Still think this team is capable of really good things this season, and I bet we start to see some of that in the coming weeks. We have so much depth now, which will really come help us during this crazy stretch we're in. YES said yesterday that we're playing a game every four days until October. Our depth is going to be massive as we go through this.

I think all of this is frustrating but not apocalyptic by any means. We have scored the most goals in the East while underperforming our xG by a whole lot. Meanwhile, we sold our #2 goalie when it looks like maybe we should have promoted him to #1. But we still have many good parts for MLS standards and continue to acquire valuable players. Thiago is clearly good, Cacha took a while but now looks like a solid and probably even pretty good piece. Santi is promising. Sands is so gooood we don't deserve him, and if the USMNT had gotten its act together sooner he would probably be in Europe already. The same way Isi overperformed his xG by a factor of 3 when he first arrived, maybe we'll even out and start not only dominating every game but also winning, for a change. I don't know, maybe I'm just a child.

I think the reason we're losing so much is because everyone thinks we're gonna do well. When they put us at 8th in the rankings we do well. When they put us at 1st, we do poorly. So, let's just perpetually think of ourselves as an 8th place team and we'll win the supporters' shield AND mls cup

Reactions: moogoo and Kjbert

giphy.gif

We played match on the road without two critical players. Their first goal was against the run of play and occurred in large part due to a mistake by a guy who just got back from international duty and our keeper could have done better. Their second goal occurred because of one of our key absences and possibly a bad foul call (I never saw a replay.)

Other than those moments, we were generally in control of the game.

Is there a soccer equivalent to WAR? We really need SJ and Sands back.

Yes. xG and we dominate at it. And yet, we still don’t win. Wonder why that is

Also, a huge issue IMO this year is last year we had two of the best fullbacks in the league (the two best if you look at g+).

This year the LB situation is weak and Tinnerholm has been a bit of a shell of himself so far.
I told everyone Matarrita was our best player in 2020 and I got laughed at. But I hope you enjoy his GAM and Malte Admunson.

If you take out our 5 goal game, an obvious aberration, where do we rank? Mid table in goals scored?