MLS - July 3 - Montréal (Home - CF)

2. Citi field inlay is awful. Idk what they do to it but it's not good.
On the radio broadcast, they mentioned that the sod patches are placed down brand new for each match coming from south jersey. They said it in a way that inferred that at Yankee Stadium they don't do it that way. I'm not sure if they keep it outside on trays in the sun nearby for Yankee stadium, and just bring it in and place it down while prepping the field or something.

At City Field, my guess is that they (the sod patches) are trucked in from a few hours away after sitting stacked on top of each other in pallets, so they are in a much worse shape when layed. It would normally take several days for them to recover from that.

Just guesses based on the pbp comments.

On the radio broadcast, they mentioned that the sod patches are placed down brand new for each match. They said it in a way that inferred that at Yankee Stadium they don't do it that way. I'm not sure if they keep it outside on trays in the sun nearby for Yankee stadium, and just bring it in and place it down while prepping the field or something.

At City Field, my guess is that they (the sod patches) are trucked in from a few hours away after sitting stacked on top of each other in pallets, so they are in a much worse shape when layed. It would normally take several days for them to recover from that.

Just guesses based on the pbp comments.

I remember hearing it's new sod for both stadiums

2 - it looked like the sod was dead and they put it in anyway. supposedly it's new sod every game. why is it not greener?

3 - i think maxi is injured and he understands that at his age, he needs to come off. especially with a 4 game away trip ahead of us and it's the quad on his right side, which i believe is the same one he had the surgery on? it's definitely precautionary but i don't think there's any conspiracy. just have to be safe and i'm sure maxi doesn't want to risk doing something to his leg and ending his career with a bad injury.
I saw it as precautionary, too. It looked like a quad strain or some kind of knot, but there is no sense in taking chances with options on the bench.

Ditto on the sod. It was tough to play on that side.

Looking at a muscle chart and seeing where Maxi was rubbing when he was sitting on the bench, it’s the rectus femoris.

Reactions: FootyLovin
2 - it looked like the sod was dead and they put it in anyway. supposedly it's new sod every game. why is it not greener?

3 - i think maxi is injured and he understands that at his age, he needs to come off. especially with a 4 game away trip ahead of us and it's the quad on his right side, which i believe is the same one he had the surgery on? it's definitely precautionary but i don't think there's any conspiracy. just have to be safe and i'm sure maxi doesn't want to risk doing something to his leg and ending his career with a bad injury.

You can let a man believe that Nick had some weird madman first half sub tactic switcheroo planned shhhhhhhhh

(Yeah I know it's bc he prob felt it and decided it's better to sub)

• Haha
Reactions: moogoo
martinez has, imo, SECURED his starting spot at the 9. there's absolutely no reason not to start him unless he's in need of a break. he averages a goal a game. if we didn't have him and were still relying on bakrar and jovan, we wouldn't be where we are.

it's a damn shame that jones got injured because the combination of him and martinez and wolf up front was super scary good. their combined pace kept the CBs honest and gave our midfield more room to work.

santi is a machine. kinda sad he didn't get a goal tonight.

glad for the win, but it wasn't exactly pretty. i think we try too hard to get the perfect goal sometimes and don't just shoot the damn ball. that includes when wolf or someone is 1v1. just make a move and shoot sometimes and get it on target. sometimes it just looked like a circus.

lots of giveaways tonight but thankfully montreal are just no good and gave it right back. against a better team, i think we would have been punished.

gonna be a long road trip, but i think we can get some points.

it's a damn shame that jones got injured because the combination of him and martinez and wolf up front was super scary good. their combined pace kept the CBs honest and gave our midfield more room to work.
We have a lot to look forward to once he's back with the squad. I hope and pray he comes back at 100 percent.

In the meantime, Talles Magno could be gone as soon as a week from today, and if not then, more than likely it will be not long after. Nick is going to have a bit of a juggling act on his hands.

Was at citi so need to watch the replay again but I felt like our forwards were over playing , taking too many touches and trying to walk the ball in the net tonight rather 1st time passes across the box or shots etc

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Oh yeah. The highlights also reminded me of one of the most frustrating moments of the match which highlights some of our weirdness up-front.
1720062298366.png

I think he takes two too many touches. Great play, bad decision-making.

There were a few plays in the first half that also had similar outcomes, one being the Santi back-heel to Tayvon who then flubs a cross like 10 feet behind any of our players - and also one towards the end where (idk if it was Alonso or Bakrar?) did a blind pass into absolutely no-one after receiving the ball.

Oh yeah. The highlights also reminded me of one of the most frustrating moments of the match which highlights some of our weirdness up-front.
View attachment 13426

I think he takes two too many touches. Great play, bad decision-making.

There were a few plays in the first half that also had similar outcomes, one being the Santi back-heel to Tayvon who then flubs a cross like 10 feet behind any of our players - and also one towards the end where (idk if it was Alonso or Bakrar?) did a blind pass into absolutely no-one after receiving the ball.
At least on the Alonso 1v1 with the keeper, he actually shot the ball. 0.55 xG on his attempt there. There wasn't even a decent shot on this. Need more soccer IQ here. Move the ball faster.

Sorry for another post but I went back and found the two flops I mentioned earlier... Turns out I was wrong, but couldn't see from my angle. (So... I'm sorry Santi and Tayvon forgive me!!!)
1 - Santi at 31:50, the guy definitely touched him on the chest maybe even a push on the face? but santi WAY embellishes it by like jumping backwards. Not as bad of a flop as what I thought I saw live because the angle of montreal's hand was behind santi's head for me... but still theatrics 101 from Santi lol

2 - Tayvon at 41:08, I couldn't see from my angle that #25 completely takes out Tayvon's left leg and ref plays advantage.)

1720063670517.png

Reactions: moogoo
We have a lot to look forward to once he's back with the squad. I hope and pray he comes back at 100 percent.

In the meantime, Talles Magno could be gone as soon as a week from today, and if not then, more than likely it will be not long after. Nick is going to have a bit of a juggling act on his hands.

what juggling? he hasn't been playing magno or even putting him in the 18. losing him changes nothing and we'd only have issues if we started suffering more injuries in the attack.

what juggling? he hasn't been playing magno or even putting him in the 18. losing him changes nothing and we'd only have issues if we started suffering more injuries in the attack.
It's not a major juggling act. It's a bit of a juggling act. We're basically in the same situation we were in before Malachi emerged.

By no means is it unsolvable. There are a lot of different ways for him to puzzle it out, and the good news is, we're better now than early in the season. Way better: more flexible, more capable of executing different formations.

For instance, if it turns out Maxi just suffered a minor knock, we can start just the way we did today. That worked out fine.

But I don't think we can underestimate the impact Malachi was starting to have. And planning it out, I have little doubt Nick had him penciled in at left wing for the duration.

And with that, I'm off to bed. We're in good shape. It's going to be a challenging month, and I wouldn't call our performance tonight imposing, but it was a professional win. They add up. I'm pretty happy.

Did Sands get a Yellow for the tackle or for "accidentally" stepping on the guy afterwards? Doesn't matter, both are fair. I'm just wondering.

This was the 10th appearance of the 24/7 Away kit, matching the 10 wearings of the original Black kit in 2015. That kit made its 10th appearance in Game 31. The most appearances by an Away kit over 2 years is held by the "Concrete Jungle" armpit wings kit in 2018-19.

I went back to look at the 69th minute play where Tanas maybe got away with one. like Lloyd Sam, I am befuddled that there was no appeal from Montreal for a PK.

Wolf is now the team leader in Assists, and his G+A/90 is right there with Santi.

Nice tidy win.

Reactions: 413Blue and Shwafta
Did Sands get a Yellow for the tackle or for "accidentally" stepping on the guy afterwards? Doesn't matter, both are fair. I'm just wondering.

This was the 10th appearance of the 24/7 Away kit, matching the 10 wearings of the original Black kit in 2015. That kit made its 10th appearance in Game 31. The most appearances by an Away kit over 2 years is held by the "Concrete Jungle" armpit wings kit in 2018-19.

I went back to look at the 69th minute play where Tanas maybe got away with one. like Lloyd Sam, I am befuddled that there was no appeal from Montreal for a PK.

Wolf is now the team leader in Assists, and his G+A/90 is right there with Santi.

Nice tidy win.
I’d add agree nice tidy would describe it. Think we’ve found our striker for now . Finishing could have been a little better from the team overall but it was a nice brace .

I knew we’d been wearing the 24/7 a lot . It annoys me when we wear it home. I’m extremely traditionalist and miss the old days when you only wore change strips when you were away and colors clashed .

I think if we were at Yankee stadium I would have come out last night . Eventually I’ll have to make it to Citi as a practice run for when the real stadium opens but coming from Connecticut by public transport the Bronx seems a lot easier to me .

Reactions: FootyLovin
how many 1:1s with clubfoot’s keeper did the team miss last night? 3?

Tidy is a good way to describe the win, could have been a rout with better finishing.

Someone else mentioned it in the chat but Lloyd Sam did a nice job, he was much better than most of the other Apple announcers. He knew players' names, had stories to tell about guys, and seemed prepared for the broadcast in a way that isn't all that common with the Apple broadcasts. It was the first time in a while that the Apple broadcast was enjoyable.

Someone else mentioned it in the chat but Lloyd Sam did a nice job, he was much better than most of the other Apple announcers. He knew players' names, had stories to tell about guys, and seemed prepared for the broadcast in a way that isn't all that common with the Apple broadcasts. It was the first time in a while that the Apple broadcast was enjoyable.
I love home matches because I can use our radio guys instead because the Apple teams have been dreadful. Our radio guys aren't world class, but at least they know our team better than what a 3 minute look at the media sheets before the game shows.
Next time we get Lloyd Sam maybe I'll give him a shot.

I said that last night, he just seems very relaxed and informed. Someone who likes the game and knows enough about the teams and game flow to keep it interesting. Seems like a guy you would want to have a beer with and watch the game.

I said that last night, he just seems very relaxed and informed. Someone who likes the game and knows enough about the teams and game flow to keep it interesting. Seems like a guy you would want to have a beer with and watch the game.
Ditto on both. He was a breath of fresh air. So many of their announcers seem underprepared, but not Lloyd Sam (hat tip to Taylor Twellman as well). He was really good. It wasn't the most exciting match, either. He had to do some work.