MLS - July 3 - Montréal (Home - CF)

Did Sands get a Yellow for the tackle or for "accidentally" stepping on the guy afterwards? Doesn't matter, both are fair. I'm just wondering.

This was the 10th appearance of the 24/7 Away kit, matching the 10 wearings of the original Black kit in 2015. That kit made its 10th appearance in Game 31. The most appearances by an Away kit over 2 years is held by the "Concrete Jungle" armpit wings kit in 2018-19.

I went back to look at the 69th minute play where Tanas maybe got away with one. like Lloyd Sam, I am befuddled that there was no appeal from Montreal for a PK.

Wolf is now the team leader in Assists, and his G+A/90 is right there with Santi.

Nice tidy win.

My understanding is that the 2nd kits have to be worn a certain amount of times in MLS the year they launch to goose sales.

Didn't get a chance to watch live, so watching the game now. The first half was downright boring after we scored. We just completely controlled the game and Montreal had no chances in that first half. Feels like we were controlling them while playing at a canter.

EDIT: I'm now halfway through the 2nd half and have still barely seen any chances for Montreal. What an absolute masterclass by NYCFC last night. A boring game in the most enjoyable of ways.

It's also so fun to see how our players are learning each other's moves at this point in the season. That Santi to Wolf ball in the 68th minute was gorgeous. What a great sequence.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I find this one so hard to read. I kept thinking, "We should be shredding these guys," but it only happened in spurts.

I don't even mean in a negative connotation though -- we scored that goal in the 9th minute and didn't give them any chances all night. Yes we could have had 3 or 4 goals last night, but we did exactly what we had to. It was an extremely businesslike, professional performance.

Did Sands get a Yellow for the tackle or for "accidentally" stepping on the guy afterwards? Doesn't matter, both are fair. I'm just wondering.

This was the 10th appearance of the 24/7 Away kit, matching the 10 wearings of the original Black kit in 2015. That kit made its 10th appearance in Game 31. The most appearances by an Away kit over 2 years is held by the "Concrete Jungle" armpit wings kit in 2018-19.

I went back to look at the 69th minute play where Tanas maybe got away with one. like Lloyd Sam, I am befuddled that there was no appeal from Montreal for a PK.

Wolf is now the team leader in Assists, and his G+A/90 is right there with Santi.

Nice tidy win.

Sands got the yellow for the tackle is what glenn seemed to think. Based on the timing, seemed like it was for the tackle, which I thought was clean, but some refs will call it if the opponent sells it based on follow through or something like that. I thought it was a hard, clean tackle though and he was unlucky to get a yellow.

I think if he had stepped on the guy afterwards, they would have somehow turned it into a red card.

am also baffled montreal didn't appeal for a PK. not even the guy tanas tackled, who you would think would be the first to throw his hands in the air. there was nothing of the sort, which I suppose means he cleanly got the ball and none of the TV camera angles were able to show it.

I don't even mean in a negative connotation though -- we scored that goal in the 9th minute and didn't give them any chances all night. Yes we could have had 3 or 4 goals last night, but we did exactly what we had to. It was an extremely businesslike, professional performance.
I didn't mean it negatively, either. I just could not get a bead on it for a while. We weren't tentative, just super patient, like we were ready to turn on the jets if we needed to but were content to play it out in third gear and take the points without too much trouble.

My understanding is that the 2nd kits have to be worn a certain amount of times in MLS the year they launch to goose sales.
Makes sense, though our Gotham and Volt kits were both worn only 5 times their first year, and 7 the second. Maybe they sold well enough that they did not need to be featured as much. OTOH, I doubt this kit is not selling, but I can imagine they pre-ordered a ton in anticipation of massive sales.
The most any Away kit was worn over 2 years is 13 for Armpit Wings. The 24/7 kit could match or exceed that this year alone.

Sands got the yellow for the tackle is what glenn seemed to think. Based on the timing, seemed like it was for the tackle, which I thought was clean, but some refs will call it if the opponent sells it based on follow through or something like that. I thought it was a hard, clean tackle though and he was unlucky to get a yellow.

I think if he had stepped on the guy afterwards, they would have somehow turned it into a red card.

am also baffled montreal didn't appeal for a PK. not even the guy tanas tackled, who you would think would be the first to throw his hands in the air. there was nothing of the sort, which I suppose means he cleanly got the ball and none of the TV camera angles were able to show it.
The tackle was borderline. He bent his knees last minute so his legs would not go through Edwards's legs, but his knees did an I'm not annoyed it was a yellow.
I think he probably stepped on Edwards's hair. It was also borderline. He was not looking, but he also knew Edwards was on the ground in the general direction he was walking. If you walk right while looking left it's your fault. I fracking hate when people do it in regular life lol.
And I have the same guess as you re the Tanas play. It looked like a foul but nobody complained not even the guy with ball so...

Reactions: Schwallacus
On Sands’ card, I was confused by it. It was perhaps not even a foul, as he got the ball first - but may be a foul for the follow through.

So, the card had to have been for stepping on his hair, and he might have deserved that for the reasons Mark mentioned.

The Biggest Mystery, to me, is why there was no sanction when the Montreal player kicked out at Sands. That’s usually a straight red regardless of context.