MLS - June 21 - Atlanta (Away)

4 wins in 19 games.
We probably need about 7-8 wins in the final 15 games to make the playoffs.

Honestly, unless we fully ball out for the next 3-4 months, I don't care. I don't want to squeak into the playoffs and then just lose, and I very much want no part of paying for a home playoff game we will lose in that 3-game first round setup if we get past the wild card round.

I want the entire failure experience. I want the midwits who decided it was OK to send out a defective product and not replace Taty for an entire year and 2 windows to be confronted with the fact they're not as smart as they think they are.

No, I'm not rooting for us to lose, especially during the games. That finish was crushing and I do hope we start to ball out, though that seems very unlikely. But if it's between bad and making the playoffs or bad and missing the playoffs, I prefer the latter.

And get that stupid Nations League shit out of my face.

Lmao what? We're still (somehow) 3 points behind a playoff spot, and the team in that spot has won less than a third of its games. Where does needing to win half our remaining games come from?

Lmao what? We're still (somehow) 3 points behind a playoff spot, and the team in that spot has won less than a third of its games. Where does needing to win half our remaining games come from?
Math. That team DC has 1.21 PPG which projects to 41-42 points. The 10th place team also has 1.21 PPG so even if one slumps the other probably holds the line, or maybe even gets better. Last year's 9th place teams had 42 and 43 points. In 2021 the 9th place teams had 47 and 45 points. So yes, the playoff line could be lower but the odds are not favorable. To get to 43 points NYCFC needs another 23 points.

NYCFC can get to 23 with 6 wins, but then can only lose 4 more times. With 5 wins, they can only lose 2 more times.

So yes, NYCFC could get lucky and DC, Charlotte and RB could all slump and NYC slides in with less than 43 points. Or NYCFC could lose just 4 more times all season or less and get there with just 6 wins. But probably, as I stated? Yeah, you probably need 7-8 wins to be reasonably certain of making the playoffs

LMAO.

Bad teams do just enough to not win. Right now, we're a bad team.

I really don't think this is going to last forever; there's too much talent on this roster and I really believe we're going to bring in some reinforcements in the next few weeks. We're close enough to the playoff cutline that we should have time to rescue ourselves. But right now, this is a bad team.

We probably need about 7-8 wins in the final 15 games to make the playoffs.

Honestly, unless we fully ball out for the next 3-4 months, I don't care. I don't want to squeak into the playoffs and then just lose, and I very much want no part of paying for a home playoff game we will lose in that 3-game first round setup if we get past the wild card round.

I want the entire failure experience. I want the midwits who decided it was OK to send out a defective product and not replace Taty for an entire year and 2 windows to be confronted with the fact they're not as smart as they think they are.

No, I'm not rooting for us to lose, especially during the games. That finish was crushing and I do hope we start to ball out, though that seems very unlikely. But if it's between bad and making the playoffs or bad and missing the playoffs, I prefer the latter.

And get that stupid Nations League shit out of my face.

I kind of agree with this. The easiest way we see accountability for the lack of urgency the organization has shown this year is to miss the playoffs.

Unless this lack of urgency is part of the organizational plan to such a degree that it was approved by CFG. Which, I really hope is not true. I think the organization believed Talles would develop into a 9 and that we would have enough to be at least mid-table. And we probably do have enough to be mid-table except for the way this thing has spiraled and everyone has lost confidence. To be fair, there is no way this roster deserves to be this low in the table.

Hot takes

The good:
Ledezma: showing signs of being the #10 we want
Gabigol.
Haak: taking care of business
Nick: the starting 11 showed well
Turnbull: tough as nails
Cufre: second game in a row where he dimes a cross that should have been a goal

The Bad:
Barraza on the first goal. Oof.
Nick: Why THE HELL is Turnbull still in the match at 90’??? Clearly gassed and woozy. Ilenic stops that equalizer
Ref: holy hell we can’t catch a break.
Whatever the hell Cufre and Alfaro thought they were doing together.
Our depth.

We have a mentality/maturity problem. I’m oddly optimistic about this, though. It’s a lot easier to fix than a talent problem. And it comes with experience.

The only glaring weak link, talentwise, is Alfaro; our defensive depth is too thin. And we need a striker.

I think the organization believed Talles would develop into a 9 and that we would have enough to be at least mid-table. And we probably do have enough to be mid-table except for the way this thing has spiraled and everyone has lost confidence. To be fair, there is no way this roster deserves to be this low in the table.
I agree with this as well, though I think the Talles experience in late 2022 after Taty left should have left some doubts in their minds as to whether he would develop as hoped. I understand wanting a preseason to coach him up and all that, but then they traded away Plan B (Heber) and also Thiago without replacing any of them (plus all the other departures). And Talles just keeps taking fewer shots. His shot rate went down instead of up after Taty left and it's lower in 2023 than it was in the second half of 2022. If they tried to coach him to step up, there's no evidence of it on the field.

I also like to think they should he better than this record, but on the other hand there is enough evidence to conclude that this is who they are. It has now been 32 regular season games since Taty left and during those 32 games NYCFC scored 1.125 G/gm and earn 1.06 Pts/gm. The 6 game winning streak at the end of 2022 across the Campeones Cup, end of season, and first 2 playoff games has turned out to be very much an anomaly, and I suspect is why management felt confident about getting through the first 65% (or more) of this year with a depleted roster.

Whoopsie.

Reactions: Gene and JCMore
Wow no MRob, Almada, GG…and I thought NYCFC was hurting from the int’l break.

Might have a shot in this one.

Oh wait this is NYCFC, we’ll play pretty good and then fall asleep on a long ball or a throw in or a set piece and inevitably give up a goal… that effectively eliminates the possibility of more than 1 point as NYCFC cannot score more than one goal a game.

Good call

Reactions: canchon
I don’t think so, Morales doesn’t seem to touch him. Gutman takes a funny step and falls with his right foot right around the time Parks brushes him

Reactions: moogoo
I agree with this as well, though I think the Talles experience in late 2022 after Taty left should have left some doubts in their minds as to whether he would develop as hoped. I understand wanting a preseason to coach him up and all that, but then they traded away Plan B (Heber) and also Thiago without replacing any of them (plus all the other departures). And Talles just keeps taking fewer shots. His shot rate went down instead of up after Taty left and it's lower in 2023 than it was in the second half of 2022. If they tried to coach him to step up, there's no evidence of it on the field.

I also like to think they should he better than this record, but on the other hand there is enough evidence to conclude that this is who they are. It has now been 32 regular season games since Taty left and during those 32 games NYCFC scored 1.125 G/gm and earn 1.06 Pts/gm. The 6 game winning streak at the end of 2022 across the Campeones Cup, end of season, and first 2 playoff games has turned out to be very much an anomaly, and I suspect is why management felt confident about getting through the first 65% (or more) of this year with a depleted roster.

Whoopsie.

Yep. The trade of Heber made absolutely no sense after they didn't sign a replacement. They could have made that trade this summer after they signed a replacement, but to send him to Seattle without having a replacement lined up was idiotic.

Does Morales clip his left leg? I agree Parks does nothing but I think the league may argue that he goes down from the contact on the slide from behind by Morales.

i don't think morales touches him.. at least not with any real force. he takes the step and then kicks his foot/leg out toward morales and away from the incoming parks. seemed pretty clear that he was trying to sell that parks fouled him.

i don't think morales touches him.. at least not with any real force. he takes the step and then kicks his foot/leg out toward morales and away from the incoming parks. seemed pretty clear that he was trying to sell that parks fouled him.

It's hard to say, I think the initial swing of Alferdo's right leg clearly misses him but the Atlanta's players leg/ankle makes a weird movement around the 2-second mark when Alfredo's left leg is near the Atlanta player's foot. I agree that the Atlanta player takes a few steps and then dives when he clearly could have stayed up. It gets complicated though if he felt the contact from behind as players are trained to go down because the refs won't call it if you don't.

On a side note, it feels dirty to be arguing against NYCFC, I'm just saying that I think there is more stuff going on that could be open to interpretation than, Keaton doesn't touch him and he falls down so it's a clear dive. If it is Alfredo that makes contact that's a terrible decision by him, he had no chance at making any play and just dove in there in one of his classic moves where he's super late so he goes extra aggressive to look like he did something.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 11.40.53 AM.png

It's hard to say, I think the initial swing of Alferdo's right leg clearly misses him but the Atlanta's players leg/ankle makes a weird movement around the 2-second mark when Alfredo's left leg is near the Atlanta player's foot. I agree that the Atlanta player takes a few steps and then dives when he clearly could have stayed up. It gets complicated though if he felt the contact from behind as players are trained to go down because the refs won't call it if you don't.

On a side note, it feels dirty to be arguing against NYCFC, I'm just saying that I think there is more stuff going on that could be open to interpretation than, Keaton doesn't touch him and he falls down so it's a clear dive. If it is Alfredo that makes contact that's a terrible decision by him, he had no chance at making any play and just dove in there in one of his classic moves where he's super late so he goes extra aggressive to look like he did something.

View attachment 12859
Alfredo did get the ball, so he did actually make a play