MLS - May 14 - Columbus (Home)

The MLS site is all fucked up. Mitrita does not count as a DP while on loan. Young DP is still a DP.
I'm finding that out. Sometimes there's out-of-date information, sometimes it's incomplete too. I was just going by the current tab on our website: https://www.nycfc.com/roster/

I remember they were a little late updating it when Maxi signed and we weren't sure if he was a DP. But I think it's accurate now.

I'm finding that out. Sometimes there's out-of-date information, sometimes it's incomplete too. I was just going by the current tab on our website: https://www.nycfc.com/roster/

I remember they were a little late updating it when Maxi signed and we weren't sure if he was a DP. But I think it's accurate now.
The MLS site can be a mess, but with Mitrita it is working as intended. It tells you that Mitrita is a DP and Loaned Out. Put those together and it indirectly tells you he is not using a DP slot, while also letting you know that if/when the loan ends, he will count as a DP. I agree it could be clearer, especially that even avid MLS fans have trouble keeping up with how all the roster rules interplay.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
The MLS site can be a mess, but with Mitrita it is working as intended. It tells you that Mitrita is a DP and Loaned Out. Put those together and it indirectly tells you he is not using a DP slot, while also letting you know that if/when the loan ends, he will count as a DP. I agree it could be clearer, especially that even avid MLS fans have trouble keeping up with how all the roster rules interplay.
It could be a lot clearer. The Designated Player/Young Designated Player rules don't say a DP loanee doesn't count as using a slot, and there's also nothing on our site or the league site to indicate whether or not the team is still paying the fee for the third DP. You kind of have to guess the Young DP is it, but there's a whole separate Salary Budget Charge which makes it seem like a different category.

So, there's no way to tell if we have two DP slots and they're both filled or three DP slots with one open because Mitrita doesn't count or all three DP slots are filled because Talles Magno counts as one of them.

What the hell . . .

You have to go down to the Transfers and Loans section to find it: "Upon loaning a player, clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement." That's it, just two words -- roster relief. And it's still not clear if the DP slot opens up or disappears.

I think the league can punch this up a little. :laughing:

Last edited:
Late in the both games this week, both at Belson and Yankee Stadium yesterday, the supporters lit the flashlights on their phones and waved them side to side. Some people in the rest of the crowd followed.
I found a reference somewhere saying it's a new 85th minute thing, but no other info. Anybody know more about it, including whether the 85th minute has special meaning?

Late in the both games this week, both at Belson and Yankee Stadium yesterday, the supporters lit the flashlights on their phones and waved them side to side. Some people in the rest of the crowd followed.
I found a reference somewhere saying it's a new 85th minute thing, but no other info. Anybody know more about it, including whether the 85th minute has special meaning?

I noticed this too at both games (Belson and YS). It was pretty cool last night as it lifted the energy in the stadium and brought the fans together.

Last night’s game was the definition of a professional win. At no point was Columbus really threatening (except for corner kicks and free kicks). Although I thought after Talles’ goal in the first ten minutes that it could spiral into another blowout, that never happened but NYCFC kept control of the game, even as Columbus increased pressure towards the end of the first half. Johnson didn’t even have to make a save. (That said, I was still holding my breath during the Zelarayan free kick.)

on another note, one of the Crew social media people made another joke about the small banner before the game. It’s now eight goals for and 0 against in games where teams mock our banner. Keep going folks.

One more thing - how about Acevedo taking that shot that literally went out for a throw-in. I have a feeling he was trying to rectify that when he teed it up later on and pulled it wide. He should be passing, not shooting.

Last edited:
I didn’t watch the game and I don’t think I will have time, but I was reading on mlssoccer.com that Ronny deployed maxi deeper in the midfield. I was curious if anyone was able to analyze the role change and how well it worked. Are we turning Maxi into a Pirlo style player? Haha

Reactions: Kjbert
on another note, one of the Crew social media people made another joke about the small banner before the game. It’s now eight goals for and 0 against in games where teams mock our banner. Keep going folks.

That's actually quite funny. It's become our lucky charm.

Actually, when I think about it, it's about the size of a box of Lucky Charms.

[Sorry kids, it's decompression time. :wineglass: ]

Reactions: mgarbowski
I’m one of the nerds who spends time listening to Rony’s post game press conference. I have not seen the last two or more on the club site.
Anyone know what’s going on or if there is another location?

Regarding Grey - I have no specific information on whether this applies to him, but cases of the flu have been rising locally - which is odd for this time of year.