MLS - May 14 - Columbus (Home)

Someone on Twitter just said they heard a mention of an illness for Gray -- not Covid and not an injury. I missed most of the pregame and chunks of the live broadcast so I didn't hear it myself.

Don't know if you heard the call of the game but Ian Paul Joy was banging the drum for tearing up Taty's current contract and giving him a new long-term deal. I'm not sure how that would work, though. He signed his extension through 2025 almost exactly a year ago (5.13.21) but he's not a Designated Player, right? Those would be Maxi, Martins and Mitrita I believe. If that's the case it couldn't happen until next year.

As much as I love Talles Magno and his upside, it would be great to keep Taty if we could. It would mean matching what he could expect from a foreign contract. But if it's possible maybe he'd stay. After all, we could always sell him later, and he could really boost his value in the meantime (right now Transfermarkt has him at €12 million).

would be nice to keep taty, but i think he wants to go to europe. i don't think it's about the money for him. his dream is to play in europe and as much as i want to keep him, it'd be great to see him playing in a top european league and getting significant minutes at a good club. something like almiron at new castle or jack at leeds.

i also think the club is happy to sell him if the price is right.

if talles, thiago, GP all develop like taty.. it'll be SCARY how good our attack will be in 3 years.

we are technically on track to be 1st in SS standings. we win our games in hand and we are tied for first and potentially first if we keep winning by multiple goals.

going for the treble!!! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO
1st in the east.
We would still be behind Austin, Dallas, and LAFC in the SS with tied on games played.

That being said, how weird is it that the top four in the west right now are all teams that didn't make the playoffs last season?

Also, Cincinnati on 19 points is weird to see! lol

Reactions: KevinJRogers
1st in the east.
We would still be behind Austin, Dallas, and LAFC in the SS with tied on games played.

That being said, how weird is it that the top four in the west right now are all teams that didn't make the playoffs last season?

Also, Cincinnati on 19 points is weird to see! lol

Ah I misread the table somehow and thought we were 2 games behind the SS leaders. you're right. But we aren't far off. I think a treble is possible.. though i'd be happy clinching a CCL spot and winning MLS cup again.

Reactions: Shwafta
would be nice to keep taty, but i think he wants to go to europe. i don't think it's about the money for him. his dream is to play in europe and as much as i want to keep him, it'd be great to see him playing in a top european league and getting significant minutes at a good club. something like almiron at new castle or jack at leeds.

i also think the club is happy to sell him if the price is right.

if talles, thiago, GP all develop like taty.. it'll be SCARY how good our attack will be in 3 years.
Definitely want to see him happy. If he has his heart set on going we should absolutely do what we can for him, short of cutting across the best interests of the club. He's earned it, absolutely.

My wife saw him in cuffs 20ish minutes later.

The guy who was hit had his head bounce off the counter and then concrete floor. He’s lucky not to be severely injured.
I saw the pic on the NYCFC Supporters Group Facebook page and thought it was a joke. People were laughing about it. What assholes.

Hopefully everyone can see this (can't remember if it's a closed group):

Ah I misread the table somehow and thought we were 2 games behind the SS leaders. you're right. But we aren't far off. I think a treble is possible.. though i'd be happy clinching a CCL spot and winning MLS cup again.
Treble would be cool, but I think we shouldn't be having our eyes on a treble at the moment. But matter of opinion, I guess! heh.

Definitely want to see him happy. If he has his heart set on going we should absolutely do what we can for him, short of cutting across the best interests of the club. He's earned it, absolutely.
Hypothetical…
You can keep either Magno or Taty for the rest of their career at the end of this year. Who do you choose?

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Someone on Twitter just said they heard a mention of an illness for Gray -- not Covid and not an injury. I missed most of the pregame and chunks of the live broadcast so I didn't hear it myself.

Don't know if you heard the call of the game but Ian Paul Joy was banging the drum for tearing up Taty's current contract and giving him a new long-term deal. I'm not sure how that would work, though. He signed his extension through 2025 almost exactly a year ago (5.13.21) but he's not a Designated Player, right? Those would be Maxi, Martins and Mitrita I believe. If that's the case it couldn't happen until next year.

As much as I love Talles Magno and his upside, it would be great to keep Taty if we could. It would mean matching what he could expect from a foreign contract. But if it's possible maybe he'd stay. After all, we could always sell him later, and he could really boost his value in the meantime (right now Transfermarkt has him at €12 million).

DP's are Talles, Martins, and maybe Maxi -- at least two of them can be bought down I believe. They can make Taty a DP, but it does appear he wants to move on to Europe.

Did anyone else see the girl that ran onto thee field postgame? She ran up to Callens and wanted a picture and a jersey. Security tried grabbing her, but Callens told them to cool it and gave her his jersey. Callens is a cool cat.

Hypothetical…
You can keep either Magno or Taty for the rest of their career at the end of this year. Who do you choose?
Wow, tough one. But I have to go with Taty. It's not just about talent or potential (both of which Talles Magno has in excess). It's about attitude, work rate, a lot of other things. We're just a much better side when he's on the pitch.

Maybe it would be different with a different supporting cast. But if I had to make the decision at the end of this season, assuming all things going forward remain equal, it would be him.

DP's are Talles, Martins, and maybe Maxi -- at least two of them can be bought down I believe. They can make Taty a DP, but it does appear he wants to move on to Europe.
Just checked and the three DPs are indeed Martins, Maxi and Mitrita. Talles Magno is in the "International, Young Designated Player" category.

I'm not sure how buying down a loanee would work, but if Mitrita is happy where he is now maybe a permanent transfer can be worked out. That could do the trick.

Martins just got here and Maxi is our veteran leader, so those could be tougher. But it's all moot if Taty has his heart set on moving on, of course.

Just checked and the three DPs are indeed Martins, Maxi and Mitrita. Talles Magno is in the "International, Young Designated Player" category.

I'm not sure how buying down a loanee would work, but if Mitrita is happy where he is now maybe a permanent transfer can be worked out. That could do the trick.

Martins just got here and Maxi is our veteran leader, so those could be tougher. But it's all moot if Taty has his heart set on moving on, of course.
While on loan Mitrita does not use a DP slot. Young DPs do use DP slots, so Talles, as a young DP, counts. Medina was a young DP for most and maybe all of his time here. I forget if he was still officially "young" at the end. Mitri comes off loan this summer and his NYCFC contract runs to the end of the 2022 season. So this summer we either have to transfer him, make a half-season loan, or convert one of our 3 DPs with TAM to be compliant. The plan is to resolve Mitrita and still buy down someone with TAM, probably Martins, which would open up a new slot to fill.
I believe the consensus is that we could have signed Martins on a TAM deal to start, but for our owner, TAM is a bigger constraint than DP spending, so we make him a half-season DP and conserve TAM until we need it.

Rain mostly stopped for the game and unexpectedly it was a pleasant enough weather evening to sit outside.

Remarkably Columbus had zero on target shots. Johnson still had a couple of good moments controlling crosses and other balls in the box.

Apart from the defensive howler on Taty's goal, it seemed to me that Columbus did a decent job in the final third of preventing us from generating great chances. We mostly overwhelmed them with volume,which was itself a little odd given the possession numbers and IMO midfield play were not lopsided. We had the better of both but not overwhelming. It was more that we attacked relentlessly and they just stalled completely in the final third.

I tried the chicken and waffles at Streetbird. Not life-changing world class chef level but good.

Having this stretch of many games in a short time at both Citi and Yankee stadium I can state objectively that it makes more sense to make other people drive to Queens than to make me drive to the Bronx.

The MLS site is all fucked up. Mitrita does not count as a DP while on loan. Young DP is still a DP.

While on loan Mitrita does not use a DP slot. Young DPs do use DP slots, so Talles, as a young DP, counts. Medina was a young DP for most and maybe all of his time here. I forget if he was still officially "young" at the end. Mitri comes off loan this summer and his NYCFC contract runs to the end of the 2022 season. So this summer we either have to transfer him, make a half-season loan, or convert one of our 3 DPs with TAM to be compliant. The plan is to resolve Mitrita and still buy down someone with TAM, probably Martins, which would open up a new slot to fill.
I believe the consensus is that we could have signed Martins on a TAM deal to start, but for our owner, TAM is a bigger constraint than DP spending, so we make him a half-season DP and conserve TAM until we need it.
That would definitely work. How is the league on renegotiated contracts? Taty is signed through 2025.

I saw the pic on the NYCFC Supporters Group Facebook page and thought it was a joke. People were laughing about it. What assholes.

Hopefully everyone can see this (can't remember if it's a closed group):

I reported this. That dude should not have his picture up on facebook for being assaulted.