MLS - May 22 - Chicago (Home)

Surprised the xG was this close as it really felt like Chicago didn’t do much - looked like they had three pretty good opportunities the whole game - the 90th min header right at SJ, the ball over from an angle about 20 mins in, and one more.
feels like NYCFC fluffed a few more high quality chances - specifically thinking of the Heber rebound and maxi hitting the post-crossbar intersection.
It was even closer (and in some sense Chicago arguably out-created NYCFC in open play) because about 0.80 of NYCFC's xG came on a PK.

Opta says the Fire's best chance was a header at 14' worth 0.59. It was point blank but the player was moving away from goal. It was a tough shot and he put it over the crossbar.
Maxi's shot was <5%. I suspect people might overrate the likelihood of success based on the fact it came close. He took it from 22-25 yards away and there were 2-3 Fire players in position between him and the goal. That's almost never going to be high percentage.

It was even closer (and in some sense Chicago arguably out-created NYCFC in open play) because about 0.80 of NYCFC's xG came on a PK.

Opta says the Fire's best chance was a header at 14' worth 0.59. It was point blank but the player was moving away from goal. It was a tough shot and he put it over the crossbar.
Maxi's shot was <5%. I suspect people might overrate the likelihood of success based on the fact it came close. He took it from 22-25 yards away and there were 2-3 Fire players in position between him and the goal. That's almost never going to be high percentage.
I've seen some of the same stats. This is one where expected goals seems to be about a different game. We out-possessed them 62-38 and put 5 shots on target compared to their 1, and that doesn't count the 3 times we hit the post.

I've seen some of the same stats. This is one where expected goals seems to be about a different game. We out-possessed them 62-38 and put 5 shots on target compared to their 1, and that doesn't count the 3 times we hit the post.
Whether a shot is on target or not has no effect on its xG value.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
I honestly think that these kits are in fashion, especially with the star, man. As for the game, it was a great Sunday win. Even though Ronny made some changes to the lineup, it never really felt like we were under pressure. I thought that Ronny brought in our young Americans at the right point to close out the game. It was another great victory for our heroes, and five consecutive zeroes. It has been quite the stretch since the boys came marching home.
Sounds like someone has the Running Gun Blues.
giphy.gif

Yesterday I was sat next to about 15 people who were friends and family with one of the starting CBs for Chicago, Wyatt Omsberg. They were very knowledgeable about everything going on with the Fire. I didn’t talk with them much, but two of the things they said that stood out to me were… 1) Chicago didn’t stay in the NY area after they played RB. They flew back to Chicago only to fly back 2 days later on Saturday afternoon. Thought that was interesting and odd. Seems like unnecessary travel/cheap by the owners. 2) They kept saying “Wow Shaqiri really is as thicc as Wyatt said” lmaoo

Also I don’t know who is making all the new original banners for third rail but they are AWESOME. Started with the Brazilian Mafia and they’ve added the Callens, Sean Johnson and NYC flag “when you were born”. The “Infamous New York City FC” is great too. Makes our supporters feel even more authentic/passionate and that
we are getting closer with the players. BIG shout out to them. They haven’t gotten enough credit. Hope they keep ‘em coming!!

Saw someone mention LionNYC LionNYC and his time wasting, but gotta mention I also saw him chirping the refs as he walked down the third base and they went down into the tunnel at halftime lol

Yesterday I was sat next to about 15 people who were friends and family with one of the starting CBs for Chicago, Wyatt Omsberg. They were very knowledgeable about everything going on with the Fire. I didn’t talk with them much, but two of the things they said that stood out to me were… 1) Chicago didn’t stay in the NY area after they played RB. They flew back to Chicago only to fly back 2 days later on Saturday afternoon. Thought that was interesting and odd. Seems like unnecessary travel/cheap by the owners. 2) They kept saying “Wow Shaqiri really is as thicc as Wyatt said” lmaoo

Also I don’t know who is making all the new original banners for third rail but they are AWESOME. Started with the Brazilian Mafia and they’ve added the Callens, Sean Johnson and NYC flag “when you were born”. The “Infamous New York City FC” is great too. Makes our supporters feel even more authentic/passionate and that
we are getting closer with the players. BIG shout out to them. They haven’t gotten enough credit. Hope they keep ‘em coming!!

Saw someone mention LionNYC LionNYC and his time wasting, but gotta mention I also saw him chirping the refs as he walked down the third base and they went down into the tunnel at halftime lol
I said to them "B minus, room to improve next half". One of them said, "B minus?"

There’s a particular person in the supporters that does the art (the name already escapes me). She did the Callens Super Saiyan one and the Taty Golden Boot one from last year as well.

They really are awesome banners, so well done

They flew back to Chicago only to fly back 2 days later on Saturday afternoon. Thought that was interesting and odd. Seems like unnecessary travel/cheap by the owners.
I agree it seems an odd choice, but I doubt expense factored that much into it. The cost of round trip airfare cannot be that much less than 2 hotel nights and a per diem.

There’s a particular person in the supporters that does the art (the name already escapes me). She did the Callens Super Saiyan one and the Taty Golden Boot one from last year as well.

They really are awesome banners, so well done

They are really awesome. Really adds character to the supporters' section and the players seem to really appreciate them.

This video and the Power ranking one in the other thread reminded me:

The play where Santi shot to the right corner and Gimenez blocked it off the line with a little sideways kickout was an amazing play.

We've had 2 games in a row where a guy on the post has prevented us from scoring. Players on the post has gone out of fashion in modern corner kick defending, but DC and Chicago both had them on the near post and they both prevented a goal. I find that interesting. We don't defend with anyone on the post.