MLS - May 22 - Chicago (Home)

Thoughts on Shakira? Dude seemed good at selling fouls to the ref. Maybe he had an off day, maybe we contained him well, but it looked like money not so well spent.
It is indisputable that Shakira’s hips don’t lie. (Thank you, I’m here all week.)

As for Chicago’s Swiss import, “my wife who knows nothing about soccer” immediately gleaned that 1) he has freakishly large calves (calves don’t lie?) and 2) he was aggressively flopping. What I saw was a potentially dangerous threat who had little chemistry with his teammates and/or bad support, and didn’t seem willing or able to carry them on his back. Unless that changes they have wasted a lot of money. I also saw a lot of Albanian flags so he’s probably drawing in some new folk to MLS.

It is indisputable that Shakira’s hips don’t lie. (Thank you, I’m here all week.)

As for Chicago’s Swiss import, “my wife who knows nothing about soccer” immediately gleaned that 1) he has freakishly large calves (calves don’t lie?) and 2) he was aggressively flopping. What I saw was a potentially dangerous threat who had little chemistry with his teammates and/or bad support, and didn’t seem willing or able to carry them on his back. Unless that changes they have wasted a lot of money. I also saw a lot of Albanian flags so he’s probably drawing in some new folk to MLS.

The Swiss Consulate also celebrated his NY appearance with a block of tickets and a CITC fundraiser.

He has been a disappointment so far. I need to fix some bad info I gave Shwafta Shwafta and FootyLovin FootyLovin yesterday. He has 3 goals, not the 5-6 I thought. He does have 4 assists in addition.

I may have missed someone mentioning it, but the crowd was maybe our best of the season last night.

My son brought up a 'David Villa - All Goals at NYCFC' video on youtube this morning and it'd be awesome to get back to having some of those early season crowds one day...

How do you think I felt seeing you emerge from the tree line in the middle of nowhere as I took a route I've never taken before and didn't previously even know existed?

Seriously though, are you able to walk to games at Citi field?
Well I could walk, and was even thinking about for a minute but it was just too hot. Would take about an hour and a half to walk there. I usually take the subway, but that's either a long walk to the 7 or a walk to the N and then a transfer, or possibly a bus to the 7 instead.

But sometimes I just take a bus because it's a block from my apartment. By the stadium there's a stop at 126th on what I think is still Northern Boulevard, and that's just a couple of blocks away from Citi Field. The problem is that there's no stop there going the other way, so you have to walk from the stadium uphill through an almost never used parking lot then cross the ramp from the Grand Central to the Van Wyck (busy!) and then onto a protected pathway next to the highway for a bit until you get back to the streets. Then it's a long block or two to Northern Boulevard and the bus stop. So you probably almost ran me over saw me walking along there somewhere.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.51.31 AM.png

I may have missed someone mentioning it, but the crowd was maybe our best of the season last night.

My son brought up a 'David Villa - All Goals at NYCFC' video on youtube this morning and it'd be awesome to get back to having some of those early season crowds one day...
I think the club recently shared Mehdi's goal against Philly on Twitter and seeing the crowd that was there for that was awesome. I wanna say that one was a midweek game too.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Another win for the Bowie kit
I honestly think that these kits are in fashion, especially with the star, man. As for the game, it was a great Sunday win. Even though Ronny made some changes to the lineup, it never really felt like we were under pressure. I thought that Ronny brought in our young Americans at the right point to close out the game. It was another great victory for our heroes, and five consecutive zeroes. It has been quite the stretch since the boys came marching home.

I really enjoyed how upon waiting for the penalty, maxi held the ball and took the punishment and then handed it off to Heber to take. It was a great moment to watch.
Reminiscent of the USMNT match when Jesus Ferreira held the ball and took the abuse before finally handing it to Pulisic to take the pen. On the Caught Offside pod they brilliantly coined this new role as the "penalty butler" haha

No Parks no party. The stare reigns supreme with awkward fear from Malte.

e0tk3mmyaloax1c4z8st.jpg

Damn it was a hot one, holy nuts.

Pleasure to see mgarbowski mgarbowski and to meet Shwafta Shwafta and SoupInNYC SoupInNYC as well before the game!

Not sure if it was a forum member, but after the game if you were on the Hutch heading north and exiting at the Pelham Road, I was the driver that beeped a few times at you. Nice red convertible, not a bad ride back on the hot ass day that yesterday was.

Regarding the game, I think it will show that we need to alter our tactics when we have Heber in the lineup vs. seeing our team when Taty is there. Had a bunch of possession but didn't see too much going forward in terms of SOG, at least in the first half. Only negative of being in the SS, front row, is that I have no idea what is a good chance when we're attacking the other side of the pitch.

Fun game, hot ass day, and meeting up with some Forumites = A damn fine day.

Surprised the xG was this close as it really felt like Chicago didn’t do much - looked like they had three pretty good opportunities the whole game - the 90th min header right at SJ, the ball over from an angle about 20 mins in, and one more.

feels like NYCFC fluffed a few more high quality chances - specifically thinking of the Heber rebound and maxi hitting the post-crossbar intersection.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I gotta say, I'm loving the pregame photo report becoming a regular thing, haha.
I was thinking earlier, "Damn, No Parks starting 11 photo." I was kinda hoping Fredo was gonna bring something different to the pic. after an interesting look last game. Malte was the biggest outlier this week... unfortunately, I've done the same constipation look as well in too many photos.

Surprised the xG was this close as it really felt like Chicago didn’t do much - looked like they had three pretty good opportunities the whole game - the 90th min header right at SJ, the ball over from an angle about 20 mins in, and one more.

feels like NYCFC fluffed a few more high quality chances - specifically thinking of the Heber rebound and maxi hitting the post-crossbar intersection.

That shot from maxi was coming straight at me. It started outside the post and was curling back in.... but just not enough! I was jumping out of my seat to celebrate only to hear the PING! would have been spectacular had it gone in.

Thiago's shot that he skied at the end of the first half was an opportunity. Think he had a chance to lay it across to Talles, but can't fault him too much for taking the shot.