MLS - May 28 - Minnesota (Away)

8 unbeaten in MLS play.
11 unbeaten in all competitions.
6 straight clean sheets.

What I really like about the clean sheet streak is how we’ve done it - all sorts of ways. For several games, we had a streak of not even allowing a shot on goal. That’s a credit to the midfield and defenders. More recently, our goalkeeper has been making great saves to keep the other team scoreless.

i heard dudewipes has had to lay off employees with all the clean sheets we're gettin

Best team in the East with a game in hand. We’ve allowed 10 goals in 13. Crazy stat. This team can get better too when we get Tinnerholm back. Although I do think Acevedo is doing a good job right now.

Yup. tied for best in the league and currently have the best GD in the league by 2 goals at 15.

Johnson, the CBs, Morales and Santi terrific.
Malte, Taty, Acevedo, Maxi, Taty decent.

Still can’t stand Gray.

There was a moment in the 10th or 11th minute -- Minnesota were pressing hard and we calmy and beautifully played out of the pressure, and continued to pass the ball around the field until we got a really good scoring chance. Go back and watch that passage of play -- absolutely sensational.

Not at our best tonight, but this team is just so damn good.

6 clean sheets in a row. One more to tie the record.

I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled out 4 different back-4s during this streak. Callens and Thiago M have been consistent, but we've been rotating Malte/Gray/Gloster/Acevedo along the backline with them.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
There was a moment in the 10th or 11th minute -- Minnesota were pressing hard and we calmy and beautifully played out of the pressure, and continued to pass the ball around the field until we got a really good scoring chance. Go back and watch that passage of play -- absolutely sensational.

Not at our best tonight, but this team is just so damn good.
Just watched on delay and I was going to post exactly this.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Just watched on delay and I was going to post exactly this.
I think it's the moment you guys are referring to... but somewhere near the beginning of the game Morales did this beautiful thing to get out of minnesota pressure and I noted how cool it was.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think it's the moment you guys are referring to... but somewhere near the beginning of the game Morales did this beautiful thing to get out of minnesota pressure and I noted how cool it was.

Someone who's better at recording video can go back and look for it -- it starts at about 10:05 on the clock and ends 40 seconds later with Talles nearly getting a free header in the box and then a handball shout. Brilliant stuff. Morales was part of the breakout when he reversed one back to Callens, and you're right - that little backpass completely released the pressure. Looked

Reactions: Shwafta
Some numbers courtesy of FBRef:

NYCFC currently leads the league in xGD at +12.4, with second place going to LAFC at +9.9. Our actual GD is +15, so we have room to regress and still be first.

Similarly, our xGD/90 at +0.95 is the best in MLS, ahead of LAFC who are putting up +0.7.

Our offense is converting at almost exactly par, with 25 actual Goals For alongside a total xG of 26.7.

NYCFC and Philly are tied league-wide on fewest goals allowed at 10 each, with the next tightest defense being Dallas at 13. Our defense is overperforming a bit, as our xGA is at 14.3, but we lead the league again here as Philly is clocking in at 14.6 xGA.

So, basically, the numbers confirm what the eye is seeing: right now this team is real, real good.

NYCFC and Philly are tied league-wide on fewest goals allowed at 10 each, with the next tightest defense being Dallas at 13. Our defense is overperforming a bit, as our xGA is at 14.3, but we lead the league again here as Philly is clocking in at 14.6 xGA.
When you have a lot of shutouts, as NYC and Philly both do, you will very likely outperform your xGA, because in every clean sheet the GA has to be lower than the xGA, even if only by a little. We've given up 4.4 xGA in the six game run which accounts for all of the overperformance.
We've also underperformed compared to xG during the shutout streak, with 9 Goals from 10.8 xG, and frankly 10.8 xG over 6 games is OK but not exactly tearing it up. We are fortunate that a minor offensive slump coincided with a major defensive surge.

When you have a lot of shutouts, as NYC and Philly both do, you will very likely outperform your xGA, because in every clean sheet the GA has to be lower than the xGA, even if only by a little. We've given up 4.4 xGA in the six game run which accounts for all of the overperformance.
We've also underperformed compared to xG during the shutout streak, with 9 Goals from 10.8 xG, and frankly 10.8 xG over 6 games is OK but not exactly tearing it up. We are fortunate that a minor offensive slump coincided with a major defensive surge.

This actually makes me feel even better about where we are right now. Finding ways to win is the mark of a very good team.

Reactions: Sabo