MLS - May 6 - Charlotte (Away)

geez. stayed up to watch the replay and probably should have just gone to bed.

defending is poor. the first two goals we gave up where cheap CHEAP CHEAP. martins letting it go and gray not attacking the ball in his own box on the first goal and set piece woes on the second. he was allowed to run in on goal unchallenged.

own goals happen and i don't blame anybody for that.

We have the talent. But I truly think there is a mentality thing and I think that might be on Nick. It's his job to get the guys in the right mindset.

We just don't have any swagger on the road. first half, there was never anybody in the box cause santi left the middle of the field. yeah, when he did that we had more numbers in the midfield but we still weren't creating much because we pretty much only had gabby. Jasson, god love him, gave us pretty much nothing. If we're going to outnumber them in the midfield, we MUST take long distance shots and get them on target. This will at least put the threat in their heads and force them to come out of their block and defend the shot, which creates space in behind.

I just don't get it. We look like a team that doesn't like to play together... at least on the road.

That artificial surface looked absolutely horrible to play on though.

To lose against a team struggling like charlotte hurts. blah.

Can someone with more tracking than me look at how many goals have been via open play vs set pieces vs PKs?

We conceded 14 goals: 6 from the Open Play, 4 Corners, 3 Free Kicks, 1 PK.

Also, I think you were the one who pointed out in chat that NYCFC had more xG (also more possession and SOGs). All true, but 2 asterisks on the xG. One because the own goal counts for 0 xG. Two because ~40% pf the NYCFC xG came on the PK from a play that probably was not going to generate 0.78 xG. In the end, though, it's the set piece goals we give up.

ETA: Actually set pieces and generally low xG creation. This was only the 4th game in which the NYCFC xG was 1.50 or better, and as noted, it was largely due to a PK.

Last edited:
We conceded 14 goals: 6 from the Open Play, 4 Corners, 3 Free Kicks, 1 PK.

Also, I think you were the one who pointed out in chat that NYCFC had more xG (also more possession and SOGs). All true, but 2 asterisks on the xG. One because the own goal counts for 0 xG. Two because ~40% pf the NYCFC xG came on the PK from a play that probably was not going to generate 0.78 xG. In the end, though, it's the set piece goals we give up.

ETA: Actually set pieces and generally low xG creation. This was only the 4th game in which the NYCFC xG was 1.50 or better, and as noted, it was largely due to a PK.

True - also I was using the Apple TV stats which are notoriously unreliable.

7 set piece goals against leads the league by far. Next is Portland with 4. Woof.

We have the talent. But I truly think there is a mentality thing and I think that might be on Nick. It's his job to get the guys in the right mindset.
Re: talent:
if by talent, we are talking skill, then I guess yes we have talent. But skill ain’t doing anything for us on the road.

Re: mindset
The first goal… I said welcome back Tayvon. I wasn’t putting the goal all on him. It seemed to me like he was moving as if it was in a light scrimmage. Copetti may not have been his man, but the ball was more advanced than Tayvon and the only guy moving into the box was Copetti. He just seemed laiseez faire to me even if it was Martins responsibility, who I guess wasn’t so sharp on the play.
Anyhoo, the way that goal happened and how early in the game it was leads me to think of mindset. Not the first time it seemed to me like the team was still kind of in the locker room. I’m open to the fact I may be diagnosing it all wrong.

Thinking that this team is really missing a talented and high football IQ 27-33 year old offensive playmaker. As skilled as Santi, Gabby, Richie and Magno are, not having a Maxi, Mukhtar, whomever… blah, blah, blah
Maybe shit comes together after the next transfer window but it seems kinda lame NYCFC plays that waiting game. Would it really be so bad to have added, let’s say, a veteran MLS striker with intensity.

That said, I hope I am totally off the mark about everything and should just STFU cause Nick and the Boys are right as rain and will bring home some hardware in 2023.

Reactions: Vallos and Gene
Re: talent:
if by talent, we are talking skill, then I guess yes we have talent. But skill ain’t doing anything for us on the road.

Re: mindset
The first goal… I said welcome back Tayvon. I wasn’t putting the goal all on him. It seemed to me like he was moving as if it was in a light scrimmage. Copetti may not have been his man, but the ball was more advanced than Tayvon and the only guy moving into the box was Copetti. He just seemed laiseez faire to me even if it was Martins responsibility, who I guess wasn’t so sharp on the play.
Anyhoo, the way that goal happened and how early in the game it was leads me to think of mindset. Not the first time it seemed to me like the team was still kind of in the locker room. I’m open to the fact I may be diagnosing it all wrong.

Thinking that this team is really missing a talented and high football IQ 27-33 year old offensive playmaker. As skilled as Santi, Gabby, Richie and Magno are, not having a Maxi, Mukhtar, whomever… blah, blah, blah
Maybe shit comes together after the next transfer window but it seems kinda lame NYCFC plays that waiting game. Would it really be so bad to have added, let’s say, a veteran MLS striker with intensity.

That said, I hope I am totally off the mark about everything and should just STFU cause Nick and the Boys are right as rain and will bring home some hardware in 2023.
The line breaking Westwood pass to Gaines all the way over on the right sideline went right past Cufre who made a half hearted stab at it. Then Gaines blew by Sands who did not keep pace even though Gaines was dribbling. Martins lost track of a runner off his shoulder which is a deadly mistake for a CB. Gray’s responsibility was to cover the weak side, which he didn’t really do as he ran to the center and didn’t check behind him, but singling him out for a play that took place completely on the other side of the pitch after those three direct failures seems kind of weird.

The line breaking Westwood pass to Gaines all the way over on the right sideline went right past Cufre who made a half hearted stab at it. Then Gaines blew by Sands who did not keep pace even though Gaines was dribbling. Martins lost track of a runner off his shoulder which is a deadly mistake for a CB. Gray’s responsibility was to cover the weak side, which he didn’t really do as he ran to the center and didn’t check behind him, but singling him out for a play that took place completely on the other side of the pitch after those three direct failures seems kind of weird.
Well. Maybe it’s weird cause I’m weird…I’m not trying to single him out and I’m kinda of surprised that’s how it’s being taken. It’s probably pointless to say anything else.

THIS²

two smiles this game... my theory still holds. morales needs to get his gangsta face back on!

vjbdg0wosjwyjdinln0b.jpg

two smiles this game... my theory still holds. morales needs to get his gangsta face back on!

vjbdg0wosjwyjdinln0b.jpg

Unrelated to the purpose of the post, but man, looking at the starting lineup, there's too much individual talent to be this bad on the road -- even without a few first choice players. It's like we got a lot of really nice bike components but no frame. I just can't figure out if the frame we need is a coach or another player.

Or both.

Reactions: moogoo
Unrelated to the purpose of the post, but man, looking at the starting lineup, there's too much individual talent to be this bad on the road -- even without a few first choice players. It's like we got a lot of really nice bike components but no frame. I just can't figure out if the frame we need is a coach or another player.

Or both.

i think i mentioned it before, but it just doesn't seem like this team knows how to play together. or i don't get the feeling this team is playing FOR each other or FOR the coach. i think that is what's missing but i don't know why that is. perhaps it is the missing player to bring everyone together ? no more heber? perhaps not having a coach with some personality and swag .. don't get me wrong, nick is cool and all, but he doesn't seem like he's got a swagger to him like any of our other coaches..

i think i mentioned it before, but it just doesn't seem like this team knows how to play together. or i don't get the feeling this team is playing FOR each other or FOR the coach. i think that is what's missing but i don't know why that is. perhaps it is the missing player to bring everyone together ? no more heber? perhaps not having a coach with some personality and swag .. don't get me wrong, nick is cool and all, but he doesn't seem like he's got a swagger to him like any of our other coaches..
Pretty clear to me that we are lacking the maturity that Maxi in particular and to a lesser extent Callens brought. In the midfield, nobody has the patience to draw out the competition and face forward rather than just knock it around. Santi amd Talles have the skill but when they do go forward they always want to take people on rather than wait for someone else to make a run. Ledezma’s pass to Gaby was straight fire and that’s progress. But too little of that.

Sands was flat footed on the first goal (everyone had blame and credit to CLT for taking full advantage) and also on the second. Not a great showing for the guy from Rye.