MLS - October 20 - Atlanta (Away)

As somebody already said, I think our poorest area has been wingers. Thiago is limited, Talles is not a winger, and neither are Medina or Santi. Which leaves Isi, who is frustrating because he has a rocket left foot, tends to strike the ball really well, and always looks like he could be so much better, but it's been 3 years and he's never gotten there. If Santi is our 10 he'll be much different than Maxi. For good or ill Maxi is a metronome kind of 10, deliberate and precise when he's good and just slow and unaggressive when he's bad. He rarely tries to dribble too much, and most of his dribbles are defensive (rotating on his own axis trying to relieve pressure while looking for a pass). Maxi limits risks. Santi looks like a much more vertical player, and IMHO he hasn't dribbled through many people yet, but not for lack of trying. I am not exactly in love with him, and I don't think he's the kind of player you build your team around. Also, we don't have the personnel to shield that kind of 10, because Sands doesn't always play 6 and he has great anticipation and positioning but he's not super athletic, which means he's great at putting out predictable, patterned fires, but he's not great at jumping into emergencies. And all our other DMs are sloooow.

Zelalem has looked great in limited minutes, and I love the fact that he's an 81K player who tries to play a between-the-lines pass every single time. He thinks he should be at 810K, and maybe he'll get there. Maybe he can team up with Parks and one of the them higher up the pitch can do some of the things Maxi did for us. I dunno.

IMO, the biggest contributors to our recent slide are Maxi's regression and inability to control the midfield, the lack of a healthy center forward to play with Taty, and RD's inability to successfully manage the flawed roster we have. I love Maxi, and he has had a terrific run for us, but he smothers our ability to control the midfield. This has doomed us. It's like watching what Pirlo did to us before he finally was sat down. RD needs to bench Maxi, move Sands up further, and figure out how to take advantage of the best of the raw Gedion and Santi along with Parks. It won't happen but it should. The FO fucked us with their ignore the 9 approach (particularly given that there was no way Heber could contribute), so the staff should have been working on turning Magno into a more direct striker. Maybe he showed a glimpse of that last night. Run with it. And an offensively starved team should not be playing without Gudi's left foot as we saw in 3 minutes last night. He should be a 90 minute player when we can't score. There is obviously a confidence component to this, but much more of it is roster and coaching flaws.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees that we continue to lose control of the midfield.

Last night, it was a combination of morales and maxi. Morales just being his usual slow, shitty self and Maxi just not having the usual pizazz. Parks had a good game and let us have a bit of the midfield, but we were in no way in control. Morales should never play and it saddens me that he's not gone after this year. Zalelem looked great but I have no idea what his defensive work is like yet. He definitely doesn't seem like a physical player and who knows what his injury history has done to him psychologically. I think our best midfield is Sands, Parks, and Santi/Maxi. Ronny should do everything to make sure this core stays together.

Thiago has not given us much, but at least he has that threat of pace in behind. With time, perhaps he'll improve in other aspects as well. I noticed he was especially lost on the defensive end, just floating around and having no idea when or how to press. This is something coaches should be working on and making sure each and every player has a full understanding. Medina on the other hand, after a few months of resurgence, has gone back to his old self. Constantly giving the ball away with bad passes and being pushed off the ball. Constantly making bad decisions and has no redeeming qualities. Just bench him already.

Hopefully, now that isi is healthy again, Medina can sit. But even last night, I would have rather Ronny started Jasson over Medina. At least Jasson would have frustrated the defense and drew fouls for Gudi to shoot with.

I also criticised Gudi a lot, and he is a defensive liability, and he cannot get to a long ball on the attacking half to save his life. But he has talent, and his crosses are among the best in MLS, and those are 2 valuable qualities. His decision making is also usually good. If he were athletic he would be a fantastic player.
Sounds a lot like Ben Sweat. He never had the free kick chops, but the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionNYC
Glad I'm not the only one who sees that we continue to lose control of the midfield.

Last night, it was a combination of morales and maxi. Morales just being his usual slow, shitty self and Maxi just not having the usual pizazz. Parks had a good game and let us have a bit of the midfield, but we were in no way in control. Morales should never play and it saddens me that he's not gone after this year. Zalelem looked great but I have no idea what his defensive work is like yet. He definitely doesn't seem like a physical player and who knows what his injury history has done to him psychologically. I think our best midfield is Sands, Parks, and Santi/Maxi. Ronny should do everything to make sure this core stays together.

Thiago has not given us much, but at least he has that threat of pace in behind. With time, perhaps he'll improve in other aspects as well. I noticed he was especially lost on the defensive end, just floating around and having no idea when or how to press. This is something coaches should be working on and making sure each and every player has a full understanding. Medina on the other hand, after a few months of resurgence, has gone back to his old self. Constantly giving the ball away with bad passes and being pushed off the ball. Constantly making bad decisions and has no redeeming qualities. Just bench him already.

Hopefully, now that isi is healthy again, Medina can sit. But even last night, I would have rather Ronny started Jasson over Medina. At least Jasson would have frustrated the defense and drew fouls for Gudi to shoot with.
Agree with the above. The team looked notably better with Talles and Zelalem on the field, and I'd like to see literally anyone beside Medina on the right wing.

However, we stole that point. We were thoroughly outplayed from minutes 15-80, and if Bello squares that ball to Lennon instead of hitting the post, we lose. The midfield was empty on offense, it seemed like the gameplan was to kick it up the field to Thiago or Medina and hope they can go 1v1. Parks ran all over the place and Morales was both nowhere to be seen and committing dumb fouls.

What's most concerning to me is that the team has lost it's identity. It's not like we're trying to play a certain way and we are't doing it; I genuinely have no idea how Ronny wants this team to play. We don't high press anymore like we did in the early season, we aren't playing a short pass, possession style, we don't park the bus very well, and we aren't playing for quick counters. It looked like Sunday league team tactics rather than a professional squad.

Also, what happened to Isi and Acevedo? Both have been disappointing this year, but who hasn't?

Agree with the above. The team looked notably better with Talles and Zelalem on the field, and I'd like to see literally anyone beside Medina on the right wing.

However, we stole that point. We were thoroughly outplayed from minutes 15-80, and if Bello squares that ball to Lennon instead of hitting the post, we lose. The midfield was empty on offense, it seemed like the gameplan was to kick it up the field to Thiago or Medina and hope they can go 1v1. Parks ran all over the place and Morales was both nowhere to be seen and committing dumb fouls.

What's most concerning to me is that the team has lost it's identity. It's not like we're trying to play a certain way and we are't doing it; I genuinely have no idea how Ronny wants this team to play. We don't high press anymore like we did in the early season, we aren't playing a short pass, possession style, we don't park the bus very well, and we aren't playing for quick counters. It looked like Sunday league team tactics rather than a professional squad.

Also, what happened to Isi and Acevedo? Both have been disappointing this year, but who hasn't?

isi has been out with injury that required an injection in his hip. ronny said he's fine now and will be back with the team. but who knows if that's even true. acevedo was on the injury list with a lower body injury.

morales should just retire. he clearly isn't good enough. not sure how he ever played in germany with his abilities. so slow and constantly going to ground about 2 seconds too late. all that is bad enough, but the cherry on top is his laziness. watching him not only be out of position and/or lose the ball, but then just turn around and SLOWLY jog back to defense when he should be busting his ass back to possibly make a tackle.. that just drives me up the wall.

completely agree about lack of identity. We have no style. No patterns of play. This was something that was clear to see under Dome. Our patterns and rotations were clear as day, but the other team still couldn't stop us. Sucks how much I wish for those days back.

I watch the ESPN FC daily show almost every night for entertainment more than for analysis, but lately, when they talk about Manchester United and Barca, you could literally apply everything they say to our team (minus all the super star players of course). What do those two BIG teams have in common? Lots of talent and a coach who has no idea how to use them.

Reactions: JCMore
My biggest gripe with Gudi is he is still far too indecisive with the ball at his feet and doesn't take enough risks.

He has fantastic service, but he often waits until everything is set up nice, he doesn't have a ton of pressure on him, etc. and there are far too many times where he has a chance to play a quick one touch pass to a runner or play a ball into space for someone else and doesn't make the attempt.

These usually occur in the final third where it's completely ok to mishit the pass, or not be on the same page with the runner and it goes to an empty space. Turnovers in those spots almost always don't result in dangerous counters and the potential returns on playing those quick passes are great.

I'm assuming this also plays a part in his learning the position ordeal. He was mostly a defensive midfielder previously where you would want to take less risks as turning it over can be deadly and there are often less runner options that could result in creating dangerous chances. Hopefully this is something that someone from the coaching staff sits with him on and coaches through because he definitely has the ability to get there.

I had some issues early on, seems like Hulu/ESPN+ catch on to overused IPs (locations). Try swapping it for a different location, I ended up being able to VPN through using Washington DC.

Obviously this doesn't help you now, but when the VPN doesn't work it's usually because they found too many people using the same IP.
Thanks. I shifted browsers and that worked. Not sure why. I tried every location in North America and then rolled dice with Browser change.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Thanks. I shifted browsers and that worked. Not sure why. I tried every location in North America and then rolled dice with Browser change.

probably a stored cookie or cache file. sometimes just closing the browser and restarting it will be enough for VPN purposes. I always connect to VPN prior to going to ESPN+ to make sure there's no errant cookie or cache file being stored for a NY location.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I noticed the pick-up in energy after the Santi sub as well. Maybe the team is as sick of Medina as we are, it was like he came off and the entire squad thought, let's go we actually have a chance now. I agree Zelalem really helped unlock some stuff with his passing, in his limited min for us over the last 2 years it almost feels like he's best used as a holding mid sitting deep as a playmaker. He's not a physical presence but he seems to have the ability to steal the ball with well-timed tackles despite his size.
With Zalelam his movement was also great. He came to the ball and created a passing lane and then played a switch more often than not. Also tried some nice over the top balls to Talles.

With Zalelam his movement was also great. He came to the ball and created a passing lane and then played a switch more often than not. Also tried some nice over the top balls to Talles.

Yeah, both Zalelam and Santi move so much better off-ball than Medina and Morales we immediately became more dynamic. Given our horrendous scoring drought recently I'd much rather trade the small defensive upside we get from Medina and Morales for the upside Zalelam and Santi provide on offense. Why wait until the end to put the attacking guys in just start the game that way. You need a whole lot less defense when you don't have Medina and Morales giving the ball away every time they touch it and clogging up the field with terrible movement.

Isn't Ronnie the guy that said he'd rather win 4-3 than 1-0, every formation and lineup decision he makes sure seems like a coach trying to win 1-0.

As I occasionally do I checked out the opposing team's post-game thread on Reddit. Everything below is a quote. As you read them, keep in mind that Atlanta is on a roll since hiring a new coach, that the ref called 18 fouls on NYC and 13 against Atlanta, and Atlanta had less than 1 xG last night:
  • we had the momentum to scores the 2nd goal but we choose to settle for 1 goal
  • But really this team also needs to figure out how to choke out another team by going up by two.
  • Pineda for probably losing the substitution chess match
  • Pineda's substitution strategy is a big culprit in this one
  • Missed chances Missed chances Missed chances
  • That's why we have to finish those opportunities. Sigh.
  • Ref completely fucked us on nearly every call towards the end of the game.
  • the blame falls on our players for not being clinical up front, as well as making silly mistakes in buildup play
  • Zero consistency with the center ref tonight
  • Always happens when we fail to convert our put away chances
  • This comes down to poor finishing and an absolute waste of a foul by a nobody sub
  • Ref fucks over atlanta team again
  • We are the kings of not scoring when we should and letting the other team score when they shouldn't. we need some grit
  • And my favorite (emphasis added):
    After going to the game, and firsthand witnessing the BS that the refs put us through I do believe that Atlanta lost the game due to the refs. One pet peeve of mine when it comes to refs is being consistent, which the refs did not do at all doing the game. Not only did they miss an easy penalty in the box with Morano, but they let Philli get away with easy calls all game.

Missed chances, clinical finishing, ref complaints, specifically, of course, inconsistency, poor subs by the coach, blame directed to a bottom-of-the-salary-chart player, calls for more grit and for knowing how to choke other teams with the lead, and clinical finishing, over and over again. Yawn. There were some insightful comments mixed in but you had to wade through a lot of the same, no-thought, no-insight, generic BS that almost every fan of every other team in MLS posts after a bad result. And at least we usually keep track of who our opponent is.

Last edited:
As I occasionally do I checked out the opposing team's post-game thread on Reddit. Everything below is a quote. As you read them, keep in mind that Atlanta is on a roll since hiring a new coach, that the ref called 18 fouls on NYC and 13 against Atlanta, and Atlanta had less than 1 xG last night:
  • But really this team also needs to figure out how to choke out another team by going up by two.
  • the blame falls on our players for not being clinical up front, as well as making silly mistakes in buildup play
  • This comes down to poor finishing and an absolute waste of a foul by a nobody sub
  • We are the kings of not scoring when we should and letting the other team score when they shouldn't. we need some grit
    After going to the game, and firsthand witnessing the BS that the refs put us through I do believe that Atlanta lost the game due to the refs. One pet peeve of mine when it comes to refs is being consistent, which the refs did not do at all doing the game. Not only did they miss an easy penalty in the box with Morano, but they let Philli get away with easy calls all game.

Missed chances, clinical finishing, ref complaints, specifically, of course, inconsistency, poor subs by the coach, blame directed to a bottom-of-the-salary-chart player, calls for more grit and for knowing how to choke other teams with the lead, and clinical finishing, over and over again. Yawn. There were some insightful comments mixed in but you had to wade through a lot of the same, no-thought, no-insight, generic BS that almost every fan of every other team in MLS posts after a bad result. And at least we usually keep track of who our opponent is.
Meant to post this earlier, but this is one of the best posts of 2021. Thank you, Mark.

Gudi made Goal of the Week finalist. Currently in 4th place.

Last edited:

And you all complain that all I talk about is the referees. I didn't think he was perfect on the night, but at least he didn't make any game deciding incidents.

And you all complain that all I talk about is the referees. I didn't think he was perfect on the night, but at least he didn't make any game deciding incidents.
I mean.... you do lol. Besides, in this ATL post one of the complaints was that the ref DIDN'T make a game deciding incident decision for a penalty. Six of one, half a dozen of the other

Reactions: SoupInNYC
My biased ass still thinks it wasn’t a penalty worthy foul in the box. If I recall correctly, I thought the Atlanta player should have been carded for embellishment. But maybe I’m thinking of two different incidents
Watching it live I thought maybe it was a penalty and we got away with one. Then the replay made it absolutely clear that it should not have been one.