MLS - September 4 - New England (Away)

I'll be honest, I knew losing Taty would be bad, but I didn't think it would be THIS bad. We do find goals from people than taty all the time. I was wrong, it seems.

How much of this is losing taty and how much of it is losing deila?

losing taty, losing ronny, injuries to key players, nick's new way of playing, which hasn't been articulated anywhere but doesn't look like it's working very well on the field.

take your pick :)

i still think we can play better even with the players we have now who are healthy. but going down 2 early-ish goals is tough to come back from mentally, especially with backup players.

Me: We don’t have a Taty replacement. We are not using all of our roster mechanisms. The club isn’t going for it and still wants all of our money

Most of this place: You don’t know what you’re talking about

The club: Watch this…

Five of our top players are out injured.

Our top two centerbacks, including the best CB in the league
Our right back, probably the best in the league
Our box-to-box midfielder, maybe the best in the league
Another starting box-to-box defensive midfielder.

Ian said during the game it's five of our top 12 earners. Five of the best players on our roster. Alex Callens, Thiago Martins, Anton Tinnerholm, Keaton Parks, Alfredo Morales.

In their place, we had our third and fourth string center backs, a fullback playing as a center back, a player in Justin Haak that really isn't at the level, Andres Jasson who played well but really isn't an option ... I mean, look at our starting lineup tonight. The players just aren't good enough right now.

Our attacking players had a great game. Their goalie was phenomenal. We should have scored at least one, if not three goals. But the problem right now is the injuries. It's not an excuse if its true -- this team has injuries to five of its top players, and no team in a salary capped league is going to survive that.

Hopefully these guys can get healthy -- sounds like all but Alfredo should be back relatively soon -- and we can get a few games to get right before the playoffs. It's a fairly easy run-in. Cincy, Charlotte, Red Bulls, Orlando, Atlanta. We can -- and should - win at least three of those games if we're fully healthy. If we can get our guys back for the Red Bulls game, we'll have three games to get everyone back up to speed.

not our first choice, but we should be good enough to perform better than that. we looked fairly decent attacking, just didn't have the clinical finishing or their keeper made some great saves.

what kills me is our fairly casual defending. heber going to defend a guy at the corner flat and keeping his arms behind his back... WTF?

I don’t agree I mean you are making up a back line and the defenders are not fully coordinated/or good enough to cover mistakes or blown covers In set pieces etc.
Defense is in shambles for sometime now, it’s because of the various lineup changes due to injuries etc.

it’s just the reality of it, this is not like first few games under Cushing where I felt they were not performing. here is more like, it’s all they got and have to make up back lines hope for the best and it clearly shows.

i do have hope though so long as some injured players come back soon with few games like said. I don’t think it’s a title winning team though.

NYC xG - 1.9
NE xG - 0.4

I felt much better about that match than others here. We played some beautiful offensive football. There have been matches where we really sucked, where we committed massive errors. This was a match where we were unlucky and got punished for relatively minor infractions. Heber didn't close out fast enough on a ball way in the corner. Chanot picked the wrong read on an attack 25 yards from goal. Credit to NE. They finished. But we looked better.

Last time we beat an opponent by 1.5 xG - 7/9 against NE.
1.5 xG advantages have happened 2x under Cushing and 4x under Deila this year.
This was the first 1.5 xG advantage that did not result in a win.
First that didn't result in at least 2 goals for NYC.
All 4 of Deila's 1.5+ xG advantages occurred in a 5 game stretch.
This was the first 1.5 xG advantage of the year on the road.
4th time this year opponent has been held to under 0.5 xG.
1 goal total scored by opponent in previous 3 matches with opponent xG < 0.5.
2 opponents held under 0.5 xG each for Deila and Cushing.

This was an unlucky beat. As bad as we have been, this match isn't one I would point to as evidence. Sometimes the soccer gods just hold you down. Brush off and move on.

NYC xG - 1.9
NE xG - 0.4

I felt much better about that match than others here. We played some beautiful offensive football. There have been matches where we really sucked, where we committed massive errors. This was a match where we were unlucky and got punished for relatively minor infractions. Heber didn't close out fast enough on a ball way in the corner. Chanot picked the wrong read on an attack 25 yards from goal. Credit to NE. They finished. But we looked better.

This was an unlucky beat. As bad as we have been, this match isn't one I would point to as evidence. Sometimes the soccer gods just hold you down. Brush off and move on.

I appreciate your positivity

I was looking online and I also found this interesting defender named "Gudmundur Thorrarinson" and I was thinking he might be better than Amundsen

Reactions: Schwallacus
If you're going to be a selling club, you can't waste a transfer window, especially when you have a timely heads up that your best player will be leaving. Add that to a continuing (mid-season) coaching carousel and you are, in fact, taking the season off. Content, cocky, or careless, who knows. But it didn't/doesn't have to happen.

I am trying to fight the pessimism.
I get that NYCFC is not fielding their preferred starting 11 at the moment.
However, one win in the last 8 games that includes a loss to road challenged expansion Charlotte at home with pretty much their best starting 11 (no Callens)…
Last years difficult stretch looks heavenly right now.
I kind of hate winning xG. I do like the beautiful soccer the team can play but I also like teams that show a real desire to win. Is it cliche to say NE wanted last nights game more? I don’t think the team is playing a « complete » game right now. Late to challenge, turning off at times, bonehead giveaways…
Yeah, NYCFC has talent but I hâte to say, I am questioning the heart.

Last edited:
You can play beautiful soccer when you have a fox in the box.

We don’t have that guy. Could have. Chose not to.

Reactions: Vallos
Despite the scoreline, that was a much better game than the team has played lately. The attack was fun to watch (as long as you shut your eyes as soon as a shot was taken). Nick obviously switched up his pressing scheme (Maxi was constantly trying to get other guys in position) and that actually worked well. Carles Gil dominates games in MLS and had nothing going on before or after the NE lead. Obviously we are suffering without our defensive spine of Callens-Martins-Morales and Parks. I dont think either of the first two goals happen with our starters on the field (Thiago slow reaction and Haak not recognizing where he should be defensively, Jasson looked like he should be challenging Andrade for minutes. Tayvon is a better CB than RB. Nick changed his formation due to the players he had available and it generally worked. We have a chance to win a trophy against Atlas next week. With the Yankees and Mets success it is unlikely that having a high seed is going to do anything except let us play playoff games at RBA. We all want the team to win every game, but at the end of the day nobody is going to care about this losing streak if the team wins the cup again. MLS is weird in that the most important thing to do is finish in the top 7 of your conference and win your last 4 games of the season. This team is still very much capable of doing that.

NYC xG - 1.9
NE xG - 0.4

Right, losing last night sucked. Especially considering how much losing they’ve done lately.

But I thought the first half was the best the team has played in a while (that’s not saying much, and I’m including the win at Chicago in this too).

Finally looked like they could create chances moving up the field.

The atrocious part was the inability to defend and close down attacking players in our third. I’ll give credit to Buck for the great shot on the second goal, but the defense on that one, and the other two, were all incredibly preventable.

Right, losing last night sucked. Especially considering how much losing they’ve done lately.

But I thought the first half was the best the team has played in a while (that’s not saying much, and I’m including the win at Chicago in this too).

Finally looked like they could create chances moving up the field.

The atrocious part was the inability to defend and close down attacking players in our third. I’ll give credit to Buck for the great shot on the second goal, but the defense on that one, and the other two, were all incredibly preventable.
I agree. This was a loss, not a defeat. I really liked the way Nick set us up, I liked his subs, I thought the adjustments he made were spot on. Very encouraging. We just didn't win.

Reactions: Sabo
I agree. This was a loss, not a defeat. I really liked the way Nick set us up, I liked his subs, I thought the adjustments he made were spot on. Very encouraging. We just didn't win.

There were points in last night's game that felt like the final game of a slump. Usually the last game of a slump you're getting unlucky and it's just not going right, then you break out. I'm very interested to see what happens on Wednesday.

We're getting close to the point where the Third Rail should be lifting this old song from the pre oil days of the mother ship

"We never win at home, And we never win away, We lost last week and we lost today, But we don't give a f*ck, Cos we're all p*ssed up, MCFC OK..." Just subbing in NYCFC.

Reactions: GratefulDawg
We're getting close to the point where the Third Rail should be lifting this old song from the pre oil days of the mother ship

"We never win at home, And we never win away, We lost last week and we lost today, But we don't give a f*ck, Cos we're all p*ssed up, MCFC OK..." Just subbing in NYCFC.
Sang it in foxborough Sunday along with many other self deprecating chants when we went down 3-0.