MLS Week 2 - 2017

Atlanta are legit and will be a force to be reckoned with.

Minnesota aren't ready for MLS at this stage.

IMG_2961.PNG

Last edited:
It was a photo of people diving...

He's getting a fine for the tweet but he has a case. He retweeted the LA Galaxy clips of the challenges and in the first case, clear dive. Second case, it's questionable.

Second was not a dive. He didn't touch the player, but the player legitimately went down trying to avoid him, rolling an ankle in the process. Questionable yellow but no question it was a foul.

First yellow was for dissent, so that's on him for sure.

Overall, it was a soft red, but he needs to do better than to get a yellow for dissent and make a reckless challenge a few minutes later.

The reason they have the roster they have is that their owner is very cheap. If they throw any money at DP's you'd be lucky if they were paid $1-2mm. Their roster is garbage and it looks like they're never going to be in the top half of league spending. I'm still somewhat confused as to why they were let in. The current owner does not seem like the kind of person MLS wants to target.

Also I think their front office might have drunk a little too much of the NASL is as good as MLS cool aid.

I've been told in the past when I complain about the cheap owners in the league with their 2 charter flight BS and other general penny pinching rules that I shouldn't be questioning how others spend their money especially the early MLS owners that helped the league through dark times. I can accept that point, they earned it for all they put in to get the league where it is. What I can't accept is the league adding more cheap owners at this point, do they not have a vetting process? No DPs to start the inaugural season in Minn? Their FO with all the "we'er doing it differently trust the process BS." They aren't doing something different, they are being cheap as hell right out of the gate, it's only getting worse from here.

I've been told in the past when I complain about the cheap owners in the league with their 2 charter flight BS and other general penny pinching rules that I shouldn't be questioning how others spend their money especially the early MLS owners that helped the league through dark times. I can accept that point, they earned it for all they put in to get the league where it is. What I can't accept is the league adding more cheap owners at this point, do they not have a vetting process? No DPs to start the inaugural season in Minn? Their FO with all the "we'er doing it differently trust the process BS." They aren't doing something different, they are being cheap as hell right out of the gate, it's only getting worse from here.
An easy fix would be that every team has a minimum Cap threshold to maintain and must always carry minimum 1 DP of a $1M valuation. All fans within the league deserve at least a minimum product threshold that has a mandated level of quality.

Reactions: adam
You can take the DPs out of the equation. Just look at how Atlanta and Minnesota used the "free" money in the regular salary budget, plus their bonus GAM and TAM. Minnesota is terrible all around, and Villa, Pirlo and Lampard wouldn't fix them any more than they fixed us in Season 1.

OTOH, we at least got to watch Villa, and Pirlo and Lmpard, and Minnesota seems likely to be much worse than we were. Their defense is horrible, and they spent their TAM on a former Norway international who played in the top Spanish and German leagues and has just been crap so far in MLS. He is their centerpiece CB and team captain, and they're just stuck with him.

Lesson: don't spend TAM on players from Norway?

But seriously I agree having no DP is a problem and worthy of criticism. But it's also worth noting they're bad in every other way as well.

Reactions: adam
I am a big part of the problem with the MLS. I only watch NYCFC... I stream preseason friendlies and watch every second yet I just can't watch another second of an MLS game... It's my fault but an overall MLS problem. NFL gets people to watch every game. I watch a ton of EPL/Bundesliga and ignore the league I care about most... I will try and change that this season.
MLS Live is great for the condensed games. I don't think I would watch as much without it. Like all the Houston games I will probably be watching this season.

The reason they have the roster they have is that their owner is very cheap. If they throw any money at DP's you'd be lucky if they were paid $1-2mm. Their roster is garbage and it looks like they're never going to be in the top half of league spending. I'm still somewhat confused as to why they were let in. The current owner does not seem like the kind of person MLS wants to target.

Also I think their front office might have drunk a little too much of the NASL is as good as MLS cool aid.
I think those are major issues but MLS also did not do them any favors having them enter this season after only being annouced in late August. Garber annouced over the weekend that LAFC would enter the league next year by themselves and you have to believe that Minnisota shiting the bed is a big reason why. Bocanegra at Atlanta had two years to build up to this season and I would imagine to start seeing LAFC sign people this upcoming transfer window.

The LA Portland social media banter going on right now is pretty funny (check out the teams' twitter accounts).