Music covers

What are some of your favorite cover songs?

I don't venture into the Off Topic threads often, but literally just had my uber driver before the game on Sunday show me this one. Holy hell it gave me goosebumps and I was ready to run through a brick wall.

There are lots of great covers done by some of the classic bands (Van Halen - Pretty Woman, etc.) but two of my favorites by somewhat "more recent" bands (including another Disturbed:

Land of Confusion - Disturbed

And my personal all-time favorite cover of all time....Foo Fighters - Band on the Run

And this one really isn't a cover (at least in my mind it isn't, but takes another approach at one of my top-5 favorite songs of all time...

And this has ended up being a much longer post than I had anticipated. This band, Steve N Seagulls is from Finland and does some amazing covers. They usually play in NYC a couple times a year and I was able to see them in the East Village back in March after one of our games. Such an amazing show. This is their more famous cover, but they have a bunch of great ones...

Ok, I'll stop now.

Doesn't get much better than this:

Although this gets me every time:

A classic:

And all the songs from Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows, an album of John Prine covers:

Last edited:
I don't venture into the Off Topic threads often, but literally just had my uber driver before the game on Sunday show me this one. Holy hell it gave me goosebumps and I was ready to run through a brick wall.

There are lots of great covers done by some of the classic bands (Van Halen - Pretty Woman, etc.) but two of my favorites by somewhat "more recent" bands (including another Disturbed:

Land of Confusion - Disturbed

And my personal all-time favorite cover of all time....Foo Fighters - Band on the Run

And this one really isn't a cover (at least in my mind it isn't, but takes another approach at one of my top-5 favorite songs of all time...

And this has ended up being a much longer post than I had anticipated. This band, Steve N Seagulls is from Finland and does some amazing covers. They usually play in NYC a couple times a year and I was able to see them in the East Village back in March after one of our games. Such an amazing show. This is their more famous cover, but they have a bunch of great ones...

Ok, I'll stop now.
The finish band is awesome, sick cover.

So this isn't necessarily one of my favorites, but I somehow have never seen this before. This dude is sick. What a voice.

Reactions: JayH and Jock
So this isn't necessarily one of my favorites, but I somehow have never seen this before. This dude is sick. What a voice.

I was going to post this the other day. Faker has some cool songs.

I have a couple I can post once I am back at a PC (and not at work). I think a thread of WORST covers would rival the Stadium thread for pages. Most songs should be left alone.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Original:

Cover:
Oh my god... I didn't know there was an original. I fell in love with that song when GOW came out and was actually going to look for a cover of it to post here a couple night ago.
The cover is 10000x better. I see where Napoleon dynamite got his dance moves from. What the hell is that video...

Oh my god... I didn't know there was an original. I fell in love with that song when GOW came out and was actually going to look for a cover of it to post here a couple night ago.
The cover is 10000x better. I see where Napoleon dynamite got his dance moves from. What the hell is that video...
You need to chill with slating Tears for Fears.

Wasn't that cover done for Donnie Darko?

Great thread. I'm seriously considering buying all of these on iTunes (that are available) for a NYCFCForum playlist.

Wanted to offer something very different. What you all probably don't know about me is that after never playing a musical instrument in my life, at the age of 37 I started playing ukulele. It is a fantastic instrument. Here are two examples of awesome ukulele. First, from one of the most remarkable musicians in the world, Jake Shimabukuro:
And for the pure fun of British humor/entertainment, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I really debated which of their covers to post, but this one is just too much fun (to me anyway):

Patti Smith doing a killer version of Hendrix' If 6 Was 9. Takes her a few tries to get it going but once she does they just tear it up. Also has Flea on bass, just for fun.

Great thread. I'm seriously considering buying all of these on iTunes (that are available) for a NYCFCForum playlist.

Wanted to offer something very different. What you all probably don't know about me is that after never playing a musical instrument in my life, at the age of 37 I started playing ukulele. It is a fantastic instrument. Here are two examples of awesome ukulele. First, from one of the most remarkable musicians in the world, Jake Shimabukuro:
And for the pure fun of British humor/entertainment, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I really debated which of their covers to post, but this one is just too much fun (to me anyway):
I have Spotify and most of these covers are available on there.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Since the thread started with Disturbed and have a bunch of Tears For Fears, this is the song that got me into Disturbed. I was a TFF fan in the 80s.

Since the thread started with Disturbed and have a bunch of Tears For Fears, this is the song that got me into Disturbed. I was a TFF fan in the 80s.

Love that. And the rowdy version of a non-rowdy song made me think of this one:

Reactions: SportingNYC