Necaxa Postmatch

So on another note, I see two scouting reports on mix in here with conflicting reviews. Id love to hear those that watched give more detail.

How was he in the buildup? Defense? Passing? Was he active the box?

Reactions: Kjbert
I love midas but think the injury fears are overblown. It's no different than practicing where the injury risk is the same. Also soccer is not American football, injuries are much more rare.

I also like the idea of the type of friendly. The Mexican fans absolutely loved to see us, and I can almost guarantee we will get a player from this type of friendly. Guys like matarrita will love to chime here to play with villa and springboard to Europe.
I like the thought and think overall it's a good thing. The timing is what is bullshit.

I was most excited to see that PV knows where his bread is buttered and kept AI out of the lineup.

Last edited:
So on another note, I see two scouting reports on mix in here with conflicting reviews. Id love to hear those that watched give more detail.

We didn't have much buildup that I recall. Mix looked like he hadn't played in 3 months. Shocking, right?

He did get into the box a few times and had a header that was a definite chance, if difficult due to lack of pace on the ball in. He did as well as he could to get some power behind it, but it was right at the keeper (eta - maybe off the bar as Ulrich Ulrich said).

Frankly, I don't know what position he or anyone else other than Villa and Lurch were playing. We mostly let Pirlo ping long balls to 7 as I recall. It wasn't the prettiest match to watch, but both teams seemed to understand that they were going to bypass the midfield and play run and gun. I presume to avoid the melee that could ensue from that battle for control.

Last edited:

The starters:

Lurch looked the real deal - he was hung out to dry constantly and came up with huge saves. I have no idea what Vieira sees in Slosh because there's no comparison at all. He was fine in distribution.

Martinez was really bad. Always out of position and left Mena with nobody to his left as he was always pushing up to far. For all of the competent showings before, this was a 180. (Edit) He's also really slow compared to Mata - so he shouldn't play like Mata does by pushing up with a fast wing to mark.

Mena looked really shaky but he had no help from Martinez. The first goal was not Mena's fault as many will want to say - the attacker came from Martinez's area which was vacant and Mena was pulled out. This happened all game.

White showed he's a backup. Some good tackles, some lost mark's, and some bad distribution. He's got a long way to go.

Mikey was playing an inverted FB and it really wasn't working. He's not a defender to begin with, and while he did make some timely stops, it seemed more a result of pure energy and not positioning. He's just so bad going forward.

Overall the defense was the worst we've seen all season since the red wedding, but 3 of the 4 haven't played in months and one isn't even a defender, so it was a crapshoot to begin with.

Bravo was bad. Horrible touch and didn't do anything we appreciate Iraola for. He's a lockdown DMid in the last 10min and not a holding Mid for 90.

Pirlo was Pirlo.

Mix looked good considering we haven't seen him for 4 months. He was active in the buildup and contributed on D and had a nice header off the crossbar from a ridiculous pass from Pirlo. Some will say he should have buried it but then Villa should have buried chances his too. I didn't see any reason why he hasn't been playing this season.

Ballouchy looked horrible. Poor guy probably has no confidence any more and playing as a left wing was a bit unfair and unfamiliar for him. He missed putting a fairly easy shot on goal from the top of the 18 when it went wide.

Villa was Villa. Took some iladvised crazy shots from outside the box. Showed a lot of skill. Got stoned on a 1v1 when he split two defenders.

Khiry was fine - nothing special nothing awful. Honestly I don't remember much of him so that's an indication of his performance. However the one glaring gaffe was him breaking out on the wing with an acre of space, and after dribbling for 20m he simply overran the ball and lost it with no defenders in the area. Yeah, it was that kind of night.

Edit- if Lurch gets to play in the postseason with a real defense in front of him (that's subjective but I mean our starters vs the circus subs) then I have every confidence we can win games scoring only 1 goal. His large frame protects so much of our goal mouth and his positioning is really good - no unnecessary flops, when he goes to ground he smothers the ball - he gets the ball back in play quickly and decisively, and he uses both feet - a few time even switching the ball from his right to his left foot based on where the forward was shading over to. It really is a travesty that Slosh has played the entire year so far - if Lurch had been the starter, based on his composure last night, there's no way we give up so many mind-boggling goals and we'd be sitting not only in 1st place in the East, but likely in the pole position for the Supporters Shield.

Last edited:
We didn't have much buildup that I recall. Mix looked like he hadn't played in 3 months. Shocking, right?

He did get into the box a few times and had a header that was a definite chance, if difficult due to lack of pace on the ball in. He did as well as he could to get some power behind it, but it was right at the keeper.

Frankly, I don't know what position he or anyone else other than Villa and Lurch were playing. We mostly let Pirlo ping long balls to 7 as I recall. It wasn't the prettiest match to watch, but both teams seemed to understand that they were going to bypass the midfield and play run and gun. I presume to avoid the melee that could ensue from that battle for control.

I agree even a rusty Mix showed the class that indicates he should at least be making the bench every game. He showed that his passing, positioning, and first touch are all better than any of our other midfield sub level players. The only gripe I could see PV having is his defense. He plays defense like a fly, always buzzing around but in the end he's just annoying, not disruptive. At least 5 times last night he sprinted back dove in for a shoulder to shoulder tackle and just bounced off while the player continued on with the ball. That said Lampard isn't in there for his defense so I don't understand why Mix can't fill his role when he's out, he has the offensive skills to do it.

Last edited:
I agree even a rusty Mix showed the class that indicates he should at least be making the bench every game. He showed that his passing, positioning, and first touch are all better than any of our other midfield sub level players. The only gripe I could see PV having is his defense. He plays defense like a fly, always buzzing around but in the end he's just annoying, not disruptive. At least 5 times last night he sprinted back dove in for a shoulder to shoulder tackle and just bounced off while the player continued on with the ball. That said Lampard isn't in there for his defense so I don't understand why Mix can't fill his role when he's out, he has the offensive skills to do it.
Not playing for months will also disrupt one's timing and anticipation. All things considered, I wasn't surprised he wasn't 100% on with his D, he needs real game minutes

Mena was atrocious, he is lucky that he wasn't directly or indirectly responsible for 4 or 5 goals. Bravo and Martinez were only marginally better (slightly less worse). How far we will go in the postseason will rely substantially on whether Chanot is healthy enough to take Mena off of the field. He is like giving the opposition a 12th man.

Mix looked exactly like he did earlier this season before his banishment. Definitely worthy of an 18 spot but not a difference maker, more of a solid spot sub, or at least an upgrade over some of the other subs.

Well someone asked a question about Eirik Johansen to Vieira and we got an answer:

“I think Eirik was fantastic tonight. I think from the start to the end he showed a lot of personality and I was really pleased with his performance. And I think tonight Eirik showed how good he is as a goalkeeper and he’s in our plan. He’s in our plan and he’s been working really hard these last few weeks and he deserved a good game tonight.”

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/10/08/nycfc-club-necaxa-vieiras-post-match-interview?autoplay=true

Eirik also got an interview where he said:

“I think with the performance today I’ve showed that I can perform up to this level. Now it’s up to the boss to take that into consideration. I’d say Josh has done well this season, so you know.”

This is more telling from Eirik than Vieira. Eirik clearly knows he's at an MLS starting level and that shrug at the end concerning Slosh is evident that he should be starting. It's the boss that is making the starting decision and Vieira was never wanting to change.

But Eirik is in the plan. I may have to adjust the campaign from #StartEirik to #StartEirik2017

Well someone asked a question about Eirik Johansen to Vieira and we got an answer:

“I think Eirik was fantastic tonight. I think from the start to the end he showed a lot of personality and I was really pleased with his performance. And I think tonight Eirik showed how good he is as a goalkeeper and he’s in our plan. He’s in our plan and he’s been working really hard these last few weeks and he deserved a good game tonight.”

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/10/08/nycfc-club-necaxa-vieiras-post-match-interview?autoplay=true

Eirik also got an interview where he said:

“I think with the performance today I’ve showed that I can perform up to this level. Now it’s up to the boss to take that into consideration. I’d say Josh has done well this season, so you know.”

This is more telling from Eirik than Vieira. Eirik clearly knows he's at an MLS starting level and that shrug at the end concerning Slosh is evident that he should be starting. It's the boss that is making the starting decision and Vieira was never wanting to change.

But Eirik is in the plan. I may have to adjust the campaign from #StartEirik to #StartEirik2017
#StartEirik2016Playoffs
Or
#StartEirik2016Final2Games&Playoffs

The team was on the bus at 5 AM local time Saturday. They're likely on the ground in New York by now. Practice on Monday (maybe Tuesday depending on travel) for DC on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
The team was on the plane at 5 AM local time Saturday. They're likely on the ground in New York by now. Practice on Monday (maybe Tuesday depending on travel) for DC on Sunday.
Brunch and Bloody Mary's at 35k feet....

The team was on the plane at 5 AM local time Saturday. They're likely on the ground in New York by now. Practice on Monday (maybe Tuesday depending on travel) for DC on Sunday.
They ended up leaving a bit late, around 745, but either way too early for post-match late night tacos and tequila.

Key takeaways:

Eirik was VERY good. Both in shot blocking and distribution. He commanded his line, commanded his back defense in front of him and controlled his box. I was very impressed. He was effortless with the ball at his feet and was solid in distribution. I'm in.

Mix looked rusty. He was obviously out of game shape. I think he's incredibly overrated. At this point, he shouldn't be on the USMNT radar. Guys like Nguyen, McCarty, Klejstan and Bedoya are difference makers MLS. I don't know that he's any better than a replacement CM in MLS. That's too bad

Bravo, Martinez, White, Ballouchy and Shelton did nothing.

Pirlo did nothing but avoid tackles from fans.

Villa and Lopez worked their butts off. Lopez wants to be on this team and I appreciate his effort.

McNamara played well in limited minutes.

Let's not take too much away from a kid scoring a goal here. But it was a class finish.

Let Eirik play

As someone who doesn't watch the Mexican league (usually just EPL and MLS), it was entertaining to watch our team stack up against a team from a different league & playstyle. Although our play left much to be desired, it was neat to see club nexaca play and see their fans create a nice atmosphere.

I'm a big Mikey fan (sorry Midas) so it was nice to see him put in a shift. Unfortunately, with two expansion teams coming in next season, I see him being unprotected by the team. Some other players (ballouchy, Martinez, mix) could have played their last game in a nycfc jersey as well.

Overall, I thought it was a good idea to have this game planned. We may have even gained some fans south of the border as a result of this game.