New York City Fc Launching Youth Academy

Great news. The 15-16 would start in August. It would be nice to keep an eye in our prospects.

Excuse my ignorance - is the idea here for NYCFC to ultimately develop their own young players, who would bypass the MLS draft entirely? Are there any other teams with similar setups?

Yes. It is strongly encouraged by the league. I think the time frame may already be in place for every club to have a development academy within the next couple of years.

RSL actually has an academy in Arizona. The Chivas academy was apparently pretty good. Not sure if it occurred, but LAG was rumored to be absorbing whatever they hadn't already poached. The Chivas academy coach is/was apparently a really sharp coach, but a bit of a (okay, a massive, per various internet sources) prick.

Reactions: Gazza_55 and Kjbert
I don't see why we couldn't have players on Homegrown contracts in a couple of years. There are players in our "recruiting" area who are currently unattached and in High School. I would hope that someone out there is scouting varius U-17 games in the area for guys to attach to our program.

Reactions: Jewell Hicks
Yes. It is strongly encouraged by the league. I think the time frame may already be in place for every club to have a development academy within the next couple of years.

RSL actually has an academy in Arizona. The Chivas academy was apparently pretty good. Not sure if it occurred, but LAG was rumored to be absorbing whatever they hadn't already poached. The Chivas academy coach is/was apparently a really sharp coach, but a bit of a (okay, a massive, per various internet sources) prick.
Actually both Galaxy and LAFC have acted pretty indifferent about the high quality Chivas USA academy players.
Which is sad since several of those players are on US national teams.
Read more here: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/01/29/chivas-usa-academy-future

This is how you build a club.

For many the first team is what we focus on, but the best way to build a club is through youth development. This enables you to connect with the players and supporters of the future.

Couldnt agree more with this. I think the partnership with MCFC obviously will be a huge help as well. Being able to glean information from a major club will hopefully give us an edge and cut down on "lessons learned the hard way".

Man City have a damn good youth academy which most people seem to ignore or don't know, building through youth academy is great for the future of course. Sport is growing, kids are playing the sport in this country at record numbers. There's been plenty of kids who got deals in other youth system across the world, now we will have own our. Tri-State area has a big talent Pool of course now get the kids and give them all the right tools to succeed. I would love too see us produce talent like Ajax, but them want to put on the NYCFC jersey , not just a feeder system for other clubs around the world hoping for the best here.

This is great for NYCFC and I am glad CFG is paying for it. Have to be patient, may take 4-5 years til we see anything.

World Class FC, Beachside, Manhattan SC, New York SC, Met Oval, all fly the USSDA badge on their websites.

Like Mario said, Blau Weiss (BW) Gottschee is part of this as well but Gottschee players may just feed this team; i.e., I think Gottschee may keep its Academy team as well. Gottschee has teams at U14, U16 and U18 US Soccer Academy.

New York Soccer Club, a Westchester-based club, is separate and apart from Gottschee but it will feed NYCFC also. New York Soccer Club has only a team at the U14 US Soccer Academy.

There are 11 or so clubs in total that comprise the NYCFC Youth Development League will be the direct feeders to the NYCFC U14 academy team but NYCFC will take a player from any team if they are good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
Gottschee is my fav story, since they were treated so poorly by NeoCosmos 1.0. Glad NYCFC picked them up.

Gottschee was had a whole lawsuit going on against the cosmos! they owed so much money it was ridiculous...

Gottschee, my youth club, always. Always. Always has had one of, if not the best youth program in New York/ East Coast. Plus they have merged with other Queens/Manhattan programs to ensure that BWG/NYCFC have the best youth pool.
now that ODP is basically obsolete, USSDA is where everyone wants to get to nowadays.
If we have great American kids coming up in our academy + Man Citys academy, the future will be solid

Reactions: The Toe
Thanks for the info. Hopefully we can get to a point in the future where our academy players are ready or at least close to minutes on an MLS squad around 18 years old

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and danger