New York City Fc Launching Youth Academy

Important to note this could end up being our first home grown player. He is an England native and is committed to play for Wake Forest next season.

Wait shit, he can't qualify as a home grown player because he only played for a youth affiliate, not an academy team. We have only announced a U13/14 team, which won't begin play until August (I think the USSDA season runs year round from August to June?) He's probably going to get away.

A club may sign a player to his first professional contract without subjecting him to the MLS SuperDraft if the player has been a member of a club’s youth academy for at least one year and has met the necessary training and retention requirements. Players joining MLS through this mechanism are known as Homegrown Players.

So I have to conclude that Manhattan SC doesn't count as an academy team. But does anyone know if BW Gottschee counts as an academy team for us? They are our only "youth affiliate" to play in the USSDA (all the academy teams), so I'm confused as to their classification. We have only officially announced as creating a new U13/14 academy team.

Reactions: SayWhat44
Wait shit, he can't qualify as a home grown player because he only played for a youth affiliate, not an academy team. We have only announced a U13/14 team, which won't begin play until August (I think the USSDA season runs year round from August to June?) He's probably going to get away.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/socc...s-another-youth-club-texas-fire-sc-of-el-paso

Actually the affiliates do count. Here is an article from ESPN about FC Dallas see the second paragraph

"Players from Tier 1 affiliates qualify as Home Grown players for the parent MLS Club."

Also they would need to add him to the homegrown list prior to him entering Wake Forest to qualify.

Reactions: Paul and sbrylski
Biggest problem, he has to be in nycfc's program for a year+. No way he qualifies yet for that.

Maybe there's a chance then.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Paul and Drainyoo
People don't think about it, but it is actually within the rules to loan academy players. I've seen it happen a handful of times in England. If we really wanted to get our hands on him to prevent poaching, if it came down to it we could always sign him and then loan him to an academy which actually has a team for his age category.

Here is an article about Jack Harrison from his hometown newspaper in England. He quit Man U's academy to come to the US:
http://m.thisislancashire.co.uk/new...ester_United_academy_to_play_football_in_USA/

It isn't clear how much association he actually has with Manhattan SC, considering that he goes to boarding school in Massachusetts and talks in the article about "guest playing" for them in the national championships.
Here's a cool video about Jack by Gatorade.