Next FIFA Match Window

Gotham Gator

Registered
Donor
Feb 9, 2015
Bronxville, NY
The next FIFA match window runs from August 29 to September 6. Both CONCACAF and UEFA have World Cup qualifiers scheduled in that window. Here are the MLS matches that fall in that time.

9/1
NYC vs. DCU

9/3
VAN vs. NJB
NER vs. COL
CHI vs. PHI
DAL vs. POR
LAG vs. CLB

9/7
RSL vs. LAG

Who might get called up for these games - especially ours against DC - and how might that affect things?

You can see a running list of players being called up below.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/17/mls-international-call-ups-september-fifa-window

I'm most concerned about tubby messi getting called up. He's been getting looks from the Irish FA and qualifiers is the time they would most likely try him out.

Reactions: Kjbert
The next FIFA match window runs from August 29 to September 6. Both CONCACAF and UEFA have World Cup qualifiers scheduled in that window. Here are the MLS matches that fall in that time.

9/1
NYC vs. DCU

9/3
VAN vs. NJB
NER vs. COL
CHI vs. PHI
DAL vs. POR
LAG vs. CLB

9/7
RSL vs. LAG

Who might get called up for these games - especially ours against DC - and how might that affect things?

You can see a running list of players being called up below.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/17/mls-international-call-ups-september-fifa-window
Ours against DC, I'm guessing we will be without Matarrita and DC will be without Birnbaum. Not sure if there is much more there.

Potentially Chanot, Luxembourg has a qualifier on 9/6.

Reactions: Kjbert
For us, I think we should expect that Matarrita will be called up for Costa Rica's two WC Qualifiers. There is also a good chance that Chanot will get called up by Luxembourg, which has a friendly against Latvia the day after our game and a WC Qualifier against Bulgaria a few days later. I think that's probably it for us, as I don't see Mix getting a call up for the U.S. or Pirlo for Italy, and while it is possible that McNamara and Harrison get called up for Ireland or England at some point, I wouldn't expect either to get called any time soon.

For DC, I think the odds that Birnbaum and Hamid get the call up for the U.S. is probably a little better than 50-50 each. Birnbaum was a reserve on our Copa roster and got a few caps. Hamid was injured, but has usually been the 3rd goalkeeper for the U.S. when healthy. It seems likely that Saborío will get called up for Costa Rica, as he was on their Copa America roster, although at some point they will presumably start transitioning him out.

For us, I think we should expect that Matarrita will be called up for Costa Rica's two WC Qualifiers. There is also a good chance that Chanot will get called up by Luxembourg, which has a friendly against Latvia the day after our game and a WC Qualifier against Bulgaria a few days later. I think that's probably it for us, as I don't see Mix getting a call up for the U.S. or Pirlo for Italy, and while it is possible that McNamara and Harrison get called up for Ireland or England at some point, I wouldn't expect either to get called any time soon.

For DC, I think the odds that Birnbaum and Hamid get the call up for the U.S. is probably a little better than 50-50 each. Birnbaum was a reserve on our Copa roster and got a few caps. Hamid was injured, but has usually been the 3rd goalkeeper for the U.S. when healthy. It seems likely that Saborío will get called up for Costa Rica, as he was on their Copa America roster, although at some point they will presumably start transitioning him out.
I would be surprised if Harrison was called up, and I'd be even more surprised if he accepted. I truly think he's angling for US citizenship and accepting the call-up pretty much fcks it up; once he plays for England, he'll get huge publicity resulting in a near-term transfer to a club overseas and his path to citizenship ends.

Reactions: gbservis
I would be surprised if Harrison was called up, and I'd be even more surprised if he accepted. I truly think he's angling for US citizenship and accepting the call-up pretty much fcks it up; once he plays for England, he'll get huge publicity resulting in a near-term transfer to a club overseas and his path to citizenship ends.
Hmm, i always thought the opposite. 5 years is a long time to wait for a call up and if England (his homeland) called him prior I always assumed that would be his preference. Also that he may one day want to move back and play in the EPL.

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
Hmm, i always thought the opposite. 5 years is a long time to wait for a call up and if England (his homeland) called him prior I always assumed that would be his preference. Also that he may one day want to move back and play in the EPL.
What would stop him from playing in the EPL - becoming a nauturalized US citizen does not strip him of his birth country's citizenship. He just won't be playing there until he completes the naturalization process here.

He's already on his way to the green card and reportedly will have it this year. If he leaves the country to work elsewhere, which will happen if he's capped by England - teams will make bids that MLS cannot refuse, he loses it because the point of the card is to legally reside in the US and European seasons last longer than the 6mo threshold of being kosher.

He's headed down the road to becoming a US citizen and donning the Stars & Stripes.... Otherwise he's suffered through a lengthy application process for naught.

What would stop him from playing in the EPL - becoming a nauturalized US citizen does not strip him of his birth country's citizenship. He just won't be playing there until he completes the naturalization process here.

He's already on his way to the green card and reportedly will have it this year. If he leaves the country to work elsewhere, which will happen if he's capped by England - teams will make bids that MLS cannot refuse, he loses it because the point of the card is to legally reside in the US and European seasons last longer than the 6mo threshold of being kosher.

He's headed down the road to becoming a US citizen and donning the Stars & Stripes.... Otherwise he's suffered through a lengthy application process for naught.
I'm not saying anything will stop him technically or he would be losing his English citizenship. I'm looking at it much simpler than that. And that is that he probably wants to play for his homeland (England), play in the EPL and stay there. No more complicated then that. Would love to be wrong though and have him play for the U.S.

Also, I didn't think the greencard was enough to make him eligible for a U.S. call up?

Reactions: ManhattanValley
I'm not saying anything will stop him technically or he would be losing his English citizenship. I'm looking at it much simpler than that. And that is that he probably wants to play for his homeland (England), play in the EPL and stay there. No more complicated then that. Would love to be wrong though and have him play for the U.S.

Also, I didn't think the greencard was enough to make him eligible for a U.S. call up?
A green card isn't enough but it's the first half of the naturalization process.

so, then he would have to wait at least 5 years right?
Under normal circumstances, yes.

The US has in the past been known to expedite the process for certain athletes across a number of sports, but I doubt Harrison qualifies for that sort of treatment.

Under normal circumstances, yes.

The US has in the past been known to expedite the process for certain athletes across a number of sports, but I doubt Harrison qualifies for that sort of treatment.
I agree. Also, I probably would guess as a boy, he dreamed of playing for the English national team and if he happen to get a call within these 5 years that he would accept. Never know though.

Correct. It is usually 5 years with a Green Card before you can be a citizen. That reduces to 3 years if you marry a U.S. citizen. I am sure there are further delays for red tape, etc.

If anything, Harrison getting dual citizenship would complicate any ambitions he had to make a fortune playing abroad, just because of the tax implications. Can't say I have any insight into his life goals, but I've never heard of a player sacrificing their career for the sake of a passport. I highly doubt he would turn down a chance to move to one of the biggest leagues in the world for the sake of a US passport - it's not as if the lack of one is holding him back right now anyway...

If anything, Harrison getting dual citizenship would complicate any ambitions he had to make a fortune playing abroad, just because of the tax implications. Can't say I have any insight into his life goals, but I've never heard of a player sacrificing their career for the sake of a passport. I highly doubt he would turn down a chance to move to one of the biggest leagues in the world for the sake of a US passport - it's not as if the lack of one is holding him back right now anyway...
Good point. The US pretty much has the world's most onerous laws and policies about taxing income earned by citizens working and living abroad. It's not just the rates but the compliance.

Reactions: Paul, JayH and adam
MLS guys think McNamara is on the cusp of getting a USA look.

Brian Doyle? Is that his name?