Nil Satis Nisi Optimum--official Everton Thread

Ahab_Flanders

Registered
Aug 17, 2014
Seems like we have a decent group of Everton supporters on the board so I thought I'd give us our very own thread to discuss.

Thoughts on the season? We've gone through a rough patch, but things have been looking up (in terms of heart if not quite in terms of wins yet). We're out of the FA Cup but we're pretty much a lock to bring that Europa League silverware back to Goodison. ;)

COYB!

Responding from another thread:
That is true,I would love to see Martinez sign another striker though.

Not me, we have much more pressing needs than a striker at this point. A solid center back to trade off with Stones and Jags and/or someone with pace on the wings. A replacement for Barry wouldn't hurt either.

Defintely don't think a striker is a top priority. I'd agree with a quality CB, especially as it seems defensive set up is Martinez's biggest weakness.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
These are the problems as I see them...

We are thin at CB. Stones and Jags are solid. I have no problems there. Distin stinks. Alcaraz stinks. And that's it.

Barry aged 5 years over the summer. Besic is now coming on strong. But with McCarthy hurt, Osman hurt and Gibson useless, we're stuck playing him.

Coleman and Baines haven't been strong. I think it's because the wing play has been worse than the CB play.

McGeady is terrible. It's obvious Mirallas is looking to be moved.

Eto'o hasn't worked out. But he's still got something in the tank.

Howard looks exhausted. Robles has come on though!

Overall, we need to get our guys healthy. Rom needs service. I would play Barkley in a #8 with McCarthy as the #6. Let Naisy play underneath Rom. Mirallas is our best Winger. Unfortunately, we don't have another guy to play wide, unless you stick Naismith there.

I also think a problem is that you guys just haven't clicked yet, or atleast haven't clicked consistently enough. I think it is probably due to injuries. But it's most likely a good sign though because once you do click, there aren't many teams in the league that can play with you. I remember a game last year against Arsenal I think where you guys played amazing, if you can find that balance again I wouldn't be worried.

These are the problems as I see them...

We are thin at CB. Stones and Jags are solid. I have no problems there. Distin stinks. Alcaraz stinks. And that's it.

Barry aged 5 years over the summer. Besic is now coming on strong. But with McCarthy hurt, Osman hurt and Gibson useless, we're stuck playing him.

Coleman and Baines haven't been strong. I think it's because the wing play has been worse than the CB play.

McGeady is terrible. It's obvious Mirallas is looking to be moved.

Eto'o hasn't worked out. But he's still got something in the tank.

Howard looks exhausted. Robles has come on though!

Overall, we need to get our guys healthy. Rom needs service. I would play Barkley in a #8 with McCarthy as the #6. Let Naisy play underneath Rom. Mirallas is our best Winger. Unfortunately, we don't have another guy to play wide, unless you stick Naismith there.

Agreed on all points and I think a lot of people are underestimating the importance of our lack of quality options on the wings. We have one solid winger whose had some injury problems and as you say will likely be gone this summer. So we either play without wings or with Barkley and Naismith out wide, but then they drift in so we might as well be playing without wings. Because of this Coleman and Baines can't come up as much as they normally do and they have no one to overlap with while tracking back, leaving us weaker on both sides of the field.

What do you think of the rumors that we might be shipping Atsu off and bringing Deloufeu back on loan?

It's funny too, if we were having this conversation two weeks ago I would've said #1 priority should be a keeper (and it probably wouldn't hurt), but the way Joel has played out of his skin in these past few games I'm much less worried there.

Reactions: Kjbert
Agreed on all points and I think a lot of people are underestimating the importance of our lack of quality options on the wings. We have one solid winger whose had some injury problems and as you say will likely be gone this summer. So we either play without wings or with Barkley and Naismith out wide, but then they drift in so we might as well be playing without wings. Because of this Coleman and Baines can't come up as much as they normally do and they have no one to overlap with while tracking back, leaving us weaker on both sides of the field.

What do you think of the rumors that we might be shipping Atsu off and bringing Deloufeu back on loan?

It's funny too, if we were having this conversation two weeks ago I would've said #1 priority should be a keeper (and it probably wouldn't hurt), but the way Joel has played out of his skin in these past few games I'm much less worried there.

Gerry played well in spurts last year. We shouldn't overestimate the value he brought, because he was still a bit player.

But Atsu provides nothing. I was dissapointed in how he came on early this year and offered nothing.

I think this Gerry loan is a prelude to a 2016 purchase when Barca can do business again.

Gerry played well in spurts last year. We shouldn't overestimate the value he brought, because he was still a bit player.

But Atsu provides nothing. I was dissapointed in how he came on early this year and offered nothing.

I think this Gerry loan is a prelude to a 2016 purchase when Barca can do business again.

My thoughts as well. I'd be happy to see Gerry come back with a look at buying him. I don't think he's found his ceiling yet and, if we can train that selfish streak out of him, I think he could be a solid winger.

As for Atsu, the less said the better there. Massive letdown.

Seems like we have a decent group of Everton supporters on the board so I thought I'd give us our very own thread to discuss.

Thoughts on the season? We've gone through a rough patch, but things have been looking up (in terms of heart if not quite in terms of wins yet). We're out of the FA Cup but we're pretty much a lock to bring that Europa League silverware back to Goodison. ;)

COYB!

The wink saved you, last 8 is realistic, depending on draw. YB will be difficult in Zurich, a draw there and a win at Woodison should see you through.

The wink saved you, last 8 is realistic, depending on draw. YB will be difficult in Zurich, a draw there and a win at Woodison should see you through.

YB are in good form, but we've been outstanding in Europe so far. I'm feeling confident for this round at least.

Argh Kev! Missed pen just before the half.

Edit: Apparently some strife in the locker room over Mirallas taking the kick over Baines' objection. Kev off at the half. I'm thinking there's a good chance he moves out this summer.

Last edited:
0-0

Frustrating point. Mirallas went from MOTM last week to a selfish child that likely cost us a win. We dominated possession but couldn't finish a thing. Besic one of the most promising players on the field but Martinez takes him off for Kone and leaves on Barkley who was largely ineffective all game.

cryinghandrub.gif