Ny Giants/ny Jets

grandsolo

Registered
Apr 26, 2014
Any Giants or Jets fans here? If so, how do you reconcile the Red Bulls knock about not playing within the city limits? Genuine question. Personally I'm a Giants fan, but don't hate the Jets.

I am a Giants fan. I do not hate the Jets as a team but I dislike their fans. They are a very annoying bunch who make it seem like they are entitled to something that they aren't. They come off as that annoying little brother. I think it is the same thing with Yankee fans and Mets fans. The Jets and Mets fans are upset that whatever they do they will not make the front page of the sports section. That's what makes them bitter. Both front offices from those teams seem to make a lot of moves that never work and they do things for publicity sake. As for hating them, I don't, I like to watch the teams lose to make their fans cry louder because I think it is funny, but I do not hate them.

Reactions: DiRoma
I am a Giants fan. I do not hate the Jets as a team but I dislike their fans. They are a very annoying bunch who make it seem like they are entitled to something that they aren't. They come off as that annoying little brother. I think it is the same thing with Yankee fans and Mets fans. The Jets and Mets fans are upset that whatever they do they will not make the front page of the sports section. That's what makes them bitter. Both front offices from those teams seem to make a lot of moves that never work and they do things for publicity sake. As for hating them, I don't, I like to watch the teams lose to make their fans cry louder because I think it is funny, but I do not hate them.
Agree 100% on the Jets fan bit. Jets/Mets fans are kinda in a special group of their own. They LOVE it when the Giants/Yanks fail, absolutely LIVE for it. On the other hand, I dont really know many Giants/Yanks fans that hate the Jets/Mets. I just feel bad for both franchises....

Oh boy.

As a Jets/Mets fan I couldn't care less about what the Giants/Yankees do unless we play them. However every single Giants/Yankees fan I know act like the most entitled lot you'll meet and constantly have something snarky to say to me about my Jets/Mets fandom.

Here's a perfect example: I'm riding my bike in midtown last week. I have on an orange Mets shirt. I'm at a red light and an older guy walks by me wearing a Yankees cap. He turns back and looks at me and says: 'You really must be a fan because it's never going to happen'. I asked him what that meant and he said, 'the Mets are always going to be bad'. I laughed and he walked away.

Very typical of the people I know who support the Giants/Yankees. It's reminded me very much of my MCFC vs MUFC interactions. Always being talked down to by someone who just picked a different team.

PS: I'm only happy to see the other New York teams do well as long as it's not at my team's expense. I was happy for the G-Men to beat the Pats both times and don't have any issue with all the Yanks success aside from the 2000 World Series which sucked but luckily I was living down South at the time and didn't have to deal with too much of it.

I'm a season ticket holder for the giants. Huge fan. Can't stand the jets or anything related to that franchise. Generally root against them in all facets. Sanchez's butt fumble was brilliant. I'll call myself on it that I kind of fit the bill of the guy on the bike above. Wouldn't do it for someone in a met's jersey but prolly for the jets.

The only time I would make a comment to someone wearing team apparel is if they were a fan of a similar team.
Otherwise, why look to antagonize a stranger who you know nothing about.
It's sporting gear, not rival military uniforms.
That's just me.

The Giants and the Jets actually played in New York. Polo Grounds, Yankee stadium etc whereas RB is using the NY as a promotional tool because Harrison or NJ sounds nowhere near as good.

Not a huge gridiron football guy but I root for the giants because my friends who taught me the rules were Giants fans. I always want the Giants to do better but I'd rather the Jets win than the Pats or any other team.

I don't really understand your 2nd question. Are you asking How a RBNY fan feels about calling them selves NY while playing in NJ or are you asking if we are justified calling then RBNJ because they are not truly in the state or something else entirely?

I don't really understand your 2nd question. Are you asking How a RBNY fan feels about calling them selves NY while playing in NJ or are you asking if we are justified calling then RBNJ because they are not truly in the state or something else entirely?
I'm asking if there are any NYCFC fans, who are also Giants/Jets fans, who bash the redbulls for playing in NJ.

I wouldn't say I ever bashed them for it. I don't really 'bash' RB for using New York as much as I think it's misleading and a bit disingenuous.

I remember when the Jets left Shea. It was pretty lousy that we lost our NFL team to the swamp but what can you do? It would have been interesting if we had gotten the 2012 Olympics and had the stadium built on the West Side but with the costs of everything involved it wasn't worth it and I totally understand. I really didn't want the Olympics here anyway.

As far as I've seen, there hasn't been any outward bashing of RB for playing in Jersey. Banter: yes. But not bashing. Hopefully it stays that way too because as far as I'm concerned the entire Tri-State Region is directly affected by all things NYC and as such are indirectly part of NYC.

Though I am interested to see how others feel about the question.

This is a NY City Forum... this Mets V Jets answer has little to do with NYCFC so I believe it is OK to point out at this intersection (& I am not pushing Man City) that this is how Man City fans feel about Manchester United. Though we hate the team & club, and can tolerate the odd fan.

I believe my answer is just as relivent to NYCFC as yours is.....

The thing is the average American fan divides his support between a NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL team plus an additional NCAA (University) team in the sports he likes unlike in the UK where football is #1 by far. So the avg UK fan has much more emotionally invested in his local club than the avg American. This is IMO one of the big reasons why to you guys, it may seem odd that a united fan supports NYCFC. To you it's THE team I support. To us, it's one of the teams.

Reactions: Section1Guy and MrE
At last, the thing I have been looking for all along.... a valid reason... thank you !!

I'm asking if there are any NYCFC fans, who are also Giants/Jets fans, who bash the redbulls for playing in NJ.
I'm a Giants fan who respects the passion of Jets fans, but I will always hold a grudge that they all label themselves "New York" when they play in Jersey, practice in Jersey and have their front offices in Jersey.

I understand that with the Giants / Jets / RBNY, "New York" is used to denote the NEW YORK METROPOLITAN AREA (which includes NYC, NJ, CT and even PA) and that's a business / marketing decision. I doesn't mean that I have to like it since New Jersey has traditionally been NYC's ugly sister. At least way back when, RBNY were the NY/NJ Metrostars.

That's one of the reasons why I choose not to support RBNY . . . and god forbid, NYCFC can't get their act together and build / start using a stadium in NJ (or anywhere outside the 5 boroughs), I'll re-think that too.

So when i was five I went to my first football game at Giants stadium in the meadowlands. It was Giants Seahawks and in typical me fashion I decided to root against my dad - a die-hard Giants fan - also I liked the silver pants. Needless to say GO SEAHAWKS!!! HOW DOPE WAS THAT SUPERBOWL!!! Yes it's related they played in the Giants/Jets Stadium.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy