Nycfc Acquires Midfielder Kwadwo Poku

Anyone know how good this kid is?
I have no idea, so just out of curiosity I went onto the Atlanta Facebook page to see what's what. Of course this proves absolutely nothing, but just the fact that a lot of people are sorry he's leaving the team has to be somewhat of a good sign. I expected to see at least a handful of the typical responses you get from the brain dead who usually infest such threads on FB with their "he sucks" comments, but there weren't any....... at least not at the time. ;)

I would love to convert this kid into a Holding Defensive Mid. He has the perfect build for it, and he says his player idols his game is like are Yaya Toure and Schweinstagger.

Anyone know how good this kid is? I watched his highlight video but I want to know from someone who has actually followed this kid in the past

Someone on Reddit said that people in ATL are really big on him and he's a player that really deserved to step up. Sounds like a good guy too, should fit right in.

I have no idea, so just out of curiosity I went onto the Atlanta Facebook page to see what's what. Of course this proves absolutely nothing, but just the fact that a lot of people are sorry he's leaving the team has to be somewhat of a good sign. I expected to see at least a handful of the typical responses you get from the brain dead who usually infest such threads on FB with their "he sucks" comments, but there weren't any....... at least at the time. ;)
Yes, a lack of the typical narcissistic Internet trolls looking for attention is a good sign :)

Reactions: Gene
Two descriptions of him from Reddit..

1. "I just realized I honestly have never described how a soccer player plays so I am possibly absolutely useless and about to sound like a moron. He's a pretty big guy, the game I know caused a lot of Silverbacks fans to fall in love with him was against RSL but I was not there unfortunately. He always was pushing, feels cliche to use the word beast to describe a player, but man, I am so happy he's moving on up. He's definitely one of the guys who absolutely deserves to.

I can also tell you he is such an incredibly gracious guy, the Silverbacks did not do so hot in the fall but he was always so appreciative of the support of fans to the point I even got a hug from him and it's in my top five hugs of all time, hands down."

Actually, he first burst onto the scene in the U.S. Open Cup two years ago with the NPSL Georgia Revolution. Hescored a hat trick[1] stoppage-time winner against Real Salt Lake[2] Silverbacks players to watch[3] in the /r/NASLSoccer[4] Newcomer's Guide, but he certainly has lots of talent. From what I know, he's usually and attacking midfielder or a forward. Kreis has had success with picking out lesser-known players from lower divisions or MLS benches before, so we'll see if Poku is a continuation of that trend."

with links attached

It would be great if he played like Toure or Schweinsteiger. We need a player like that

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy about this.. i'm just waiting for them to blow us away with thier surprise DP selection. Again, it has to be epic to make up for Lamps.
I'm very happy with this as well. Sadly though I'm convinced that we won't have another DP on our team tIL the summer transfer window. Kreis will wait for the perfect player to come along to fill that DP spot

Reactions: Kjbert
Another description from reddit

"He's a really handy player.

Cites his idol as Yaya Toure and you can see why. A big physical guy that likes to play in the final third. I wouldn't like to be chasing after him. I think if he's playing off a smart guy like Patrick Mullins you could have a really tricky forward line.

Whenever I watched him I was a tad disappointed at his inability to really impose himself on games. I felt (maybe because of his physique) he could be putting more effort in and influencing proceedings more often.

However I will say that his technique is very good. It'll be interesting to see how Kreis handles him. The temptation might be to convert him to a DM and drop him further back. Akin to Jon Obi Mikel at Chelsea who started as a No10 and went backwards positionally at Chelsea. "

He seems to have the right tools to be a good MLS player. I would that he won't be a starter but bench depth. My guess is Kreis will use him in various places until he starts to shine or where NYCFC is the thinnest. whatever comes first.

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
He seems to have the right tools to be a good MLS player. I would that he won't be a starter but bench depth. My guess is Kreis will use him in various places until he starts to shine or where NYCFC is the thinnest. whatever comes first.
Agreed. And I think the comparisons with Mikel are pretty good in the sense that he isn't a player you build your team around, but a player that comes in handy any time you need them.

Just saw his highlights. Seems like a damn good player. Looks like he has the physical tools needed to succeed in this league. I think we can expect good things from this dude. Wonder if he is gonna get a chance to meet yaya toure.

He may be Beckerman mark II
Bit too attack-minded to be a Beckerman type of guy, don't you think?

Beckerman's a really unique type of player in the US system. Bit hard to find that kind of guy for an expansion team - maybe Poku will get a shot there, but I'd expect him to shuttle for us a bit.

Bit too attack-minded to be a Beckerman type of guy, don't you think?

Beckerman's a really unique type of player in the US system. Bit hard to find that kind of guy for an expansion team - maybe Poku will get a shot there, but I'd expect him to shuttle for us a bit.

2006 Colorado Rapids stats: http://www.coloradorapids.com/stats...S&op=Search&form_id=mls_stats_individual_form

If you're too lazy to click, Beckerman tied for the team lead with 7 goals, playing as a CM. Until he played under Kreis at RSL, he didn't play a dedicated DM. In addition, he still plays around the box enough to net 3-5 goals every season. Compare that to a more of a true DM, like Seattle's Alonso, who hasn't scored since 2012.

Remember, Kreis' midfielders are expected to do everything well, and cover for each other. The CDM will hang back and usually act to disrupt passing and win the ball back, but he's also expected to be able to distribute well and make runs forward when they are available. He can do this because the other two CM are expected to also be able to drop back when he does so, and assume the CDM role temporarily. They just need to be smart soccer players who know how to function as a unit.

If Poku has some tenacity, and is a strong distributor, he can absolutely be moved to CDM in our formation.

EDIT: To pile on, Poku only scored 3 goals in 20 starts and 5 additional appearances as a sub last season for Atlanta. We aren't talking about a prolific goal scorer, just a good athlete that Atlanta was playing in an attacking position (possibly out of place, as he said he played defensively growing up.) At just 22, he can be molded - Beckerman was 24 in the 2006 season cited above.

Last edited:
2006 Colorado Rapids stats: http://www.coloradorapids.com/stats...S&op=Search&form_id=mls_stats_individual_form

If you're too lazy to click, Beckerman tied for the team lead with 7 goals, playing as a CM. Until he played under Kreis at RSL, he didn't play a dedicated DM. In addition, he still plays around the box enough to net 3-5 goals every season. Compare that to a more of a true DM, like Seattle's Alonso, who hasn't scored since 2012.

Remember, Kreis' midfielders are expected to do everything well, and cover for each other. The CDM will hang back and usually act to disrupt passing and win the ball back, but he's also expected to be able to distribute well and make runs forward when they are available. He can do this because the other two CM are expected to also be able to drop back when he does so, and assume the CDM role temporarily. They just need to be smart soccer players who know how to function as a unit.

If Poku has some tenacity, and is a strong distributor, he can absolutely be moved to CDM in our formation.
Well put

Reactions: Kjbert

EDIT: To pile on, Poku only scored 3 goals in 20 starts and 5 additional appearances as a sub last season for Atlanta. We aren't talking about a prolific goal scorer, just a good athlete that Atlanta was playing in an attacking position (possibly out of place, as he said he played defensively growing up.) At just 22, he can be molded - Beckerman was 24 in the 2006 season cited above.
This is the type of analysis that I pay for. Good work.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert