Nycfc Most Watched Mls Team On Tv?

dannd23

Registered
Mar 7, 2015
For ESPN, ESPN2 and FS1, NYCFC has the second highest average viewership of all of MLS with an average of 303,000 viewers per game, with the highest being the opener against Orlando City with 539,000 viewers and the lowest being 212,000 viewers against Seattle. The highest belongs to Seattle with an average of 333,000 viewers per game. What was going on during our game against Seattle that it only drew 212,000 viewers for the two most watched teams in MLS?

Viewership average rankings for these three networks:
Seattle: 330,000
NYCFC: 303,000
Orlando: 261,000
Toronto: 260,500. They have only appeared oddly enough twice on national TV
NJRB: 259,000
LAG: 257,000 boosted by 549,000 against Seattle
SKC 247,000
NER: 247,000
Portland: 227,000
RSL: 225,500
DCU: 225,000
Philadelphia: 187,000
San Jose: 183,000
Houston: 172,000 (1 game)
Columbus: 163,000 (1 game)
Colorado: 161,000 (1 game)
Chicago: 158,000
Dallas: 142,000

Vancouver and Montreal have yet to feature on one of these networks. I am not sure if it has something to do with Canadian broadcasting networks or what.

It seems the formula is to include either NYCFC or Seattle (and probably now LA with Dos Santos) if you want high viewership on the national broadcasts.

Further, it would seem Chicago needs to be on less, as they featured in 5 national broadcasts.

For ESPN, ESPN2 and FS1, NYCFC has the second highest average viewership of all of MLS with an average of 303,000 viewers per game, with the highest being the opener against Orlando City with 539,000 viewers and the lowest being 212,000 viewers against Seattle. The highest belongs to Seattle with an average of 333,000 viewers per game. What was going on during our game against Seattle that it only drew 212,000 viewers for the two most watched teams in MLS?

Viewership average rankings for these three networks:
Seattle: 330,000
NYCFC: 303,000
Orlando: 261,000
Toronto: 260,500. They have only appeared oddly enough twice on national TV
NJRB: 259,000
LAG: 257,000 boosted by 549,000 against Seattle
SKC 247,000
NER: 247,000
Portland: 227,000
RSL: 225,500
DCU: 225,000
Philadelphia: 187,000
San Jose: 183,000
Houston: 172,000 (1 game)
Columbus: 163,000 (1 game)
Colorado: 161,000 (1 game)
Chicago: 158,000
Dallas: 142,000

Vancouver and Montreal have yet to feature on one of these networks. I am not sure if it has something to do with Canadian broadcasting networks or what.

It seems the formula is to include either NYCFC or Seattle (and probably now LA with Dos Santos) if you want high viewership on the national broadcasts.
Numbers are a little deceiving too because Seattle is always on the prime spot later in the day NYCFC is usually the 1pm or 2pm time slot which is awful.

Numbers are a little deceiving too because Seattle is always on the prime spot later in the day NYCFC is usually the 1pm or 2pm time slot which is awful.

This is true as I did not take into account day or time, just national broadcasts. Orlando's probably would have been a little higher, but they had a Wednesday night game that was poorly viewed.

NYC's rating would definitely be higher if the national broadcasts were at better times for all of them, but even so, if you want solid viewership numbers, NYC will deliver.

Reactions: SayWhat44
National broadcasts for hockey on NBCSN averaged 349,000 for the 2014-2015 NHL season.

MLS is currently at 241,000 for 2015. MLS is closing the gap, but it still won't catch up to the NHL for another 5-10 years, IMO.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Not too surprised. I've read a lot of neutrals saying they watch all of our games because they are always entertaining. Although a lot of that entertainment isn't on purpose on our end.....

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Presumably, you didn't include ViernesDeFutbol broadcasts on Friday nights because they are primarily Spanish-language broadcasts (despite the promise of SAP English soundtracks). I've seen Toronto and Vancouver a number of times on UDN. I think NYCFC has been on UDN at least once, maybe twice.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Presumably, you didn't include ViernesDeFutbol broadcasts on Friday nights because they are primarily Spanish-language broadcasts (despite the promise of SAP English soundtracks). I've seen Toronto and Vancouver a number of times on UDN. I think NYCFC has been on UDN at least once, maybe twice.

When you say "despite the promise of SAP English soundtracks", it appears that you mean to imply that this soundtrack is not really there. But I watched one of our team's games on UDN, and listened to the English-language commentary on SAP.

When you say "despite the promise of SAP English soundtracks", it appears that you mean to imply that this soundtrack is not really there. But I watched one of our team's games on UDN, and listened to the English-language commentary on SAP.
I'm on Time Warner Cable and I never get the second languages. The SAP track is there but it's always the same audio as the main track.

Reactions: NYCFutbol1
I'm on Time Warner Cable and I never get the second languages. The SAP track is there but it's always the same audio as the main track.

I have Time Warner also; UDN is on channel 444. The English-language commentary was there on SAP at least for the NYCFC game that I watched.

Maybe they provide it only in the markets of the teams involved.

National broadcasts for hockey on NBCSN averaged 349,000 for the 2014-2015 NHL season.

MLS is currently at 241,000 for 2015. MLS is closing the gap, but it still won't catch up to the NHL for another 5-10 years, IMO.
Honestly we can close that gap in 2 years I just hope a get NHL money from the networks.

One thing dragging down the NHL ratings is that for the majority of games on NBCSN, they are not exclusive AND have regional blackouts. So those ratings are pulled from out-of-market fans only while the regular local broadcast takes place and blacks out NBCSN in the markets. That probably takes a massive dent out of the ratings. Do that to MLS and let's see what happens lol. Also, playoff games get ratings that MLS has never come close to.
Add in the length of broadcasts and opportunities for advertising and it will be nearly impossible to get NHL money unless our ratings pick up to some crazy level.

One thing dragging down the NHL ratings is that for the majority of games on NBCSN, they are not exclusive AND have regional blackouts. So those ratings are pulled from out-of-market fans only while the regular local broadcast takes place and blacks out NBCSN in the markets. That probably takes a massive dent out of the ratings. Do that to MLS and let's see what happens lol. Also, playoff games get ratings that MLS has never come close to.
Add in the length of broadcasts and opportunities for advertising and it will be nearly impossible to get NHL money unless our ratings pick up to some crazy level.
You are not wrong about that

it appears that you mean to imply that this soundtrack is not really there

Hi, Ferdinand.
I have no doubt that it's there.
However, Verizon FIOS are either idiots or liars because as of week 23 -- we'll see about week 24 tonight -- FIOS hasn't included the English soundtrack via SAP. As is typical with these outlets, their customer service people run through a predefined script, keep you on the phone for hours AND NEVER SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!

(I apologize. I didn't mean to yell.)

They tried to pass off responsibility to Univision, but some of us are a little more knowledgeable than Verizon prefers us being. So, the failure to provide the English SAP is solely Verizon's fault. That this situation has persisted through 2/3s of the MLS season doesn't reflect kindly on the league either.

Hi, Ferdinand.
I have no doubt that it's there.
However, Verizon FIOS are either idiots or liars because as of week 23 -- we'll see about week 24 tonight -- FIOS hasn't included the English soundtrack via SAP. As is typical with these outlets, their customer service people run through a predefined script, keep you on the phone for hours AND NEVER SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!

(I apologize. I didn't mean to yell.)

They tried to pass off responsibility to Univision, but some of us are a little more knowledgeable than Verizon prefers us being. So, the failure to provide the English SAP is solely Verizon's fault. That this situation has persisted through 2/3s of the MLS season doesn't reflect kindly on the league either.

I know what you mean, and I totally get the frustration. Back in the days when the Premier League matches were on Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Sports en Español, I used to get the English-language commentary on SAP on FSE. Then it stopped one day.

So, I called Time Warner, which was no help. I even dug up the number to FSC's main office; I got someone there who looked into the situation and confirmed that there was indeed supposed to be English on SAP on the matches on FSE.

So that sent me back to calling Time Warner, which allowed me the privilege of talking to a series of people who didn't know what the hell I was asking. Through the end of the Premier League on FSC/FSE, I never again was able to receive English-language commentary on SAP.

But what about the theory that I floated above: perhaps Univision provides English-language commentary on SAP only in the markets of the teams playing in the game. I will see what happens with tonight's Colorado-San Jose game.

OF course New York City is the most watched team, New York is an orgy of culture and everything thats cool compared to the res of the country.

Whats poppin in New York now is whats poppin the rest of the country in 10 years

I don't understand this. I have Time Warner (UWS) and I have no problem getting the English tracks. Watched the San Jose game last night, though I have no idea why...

Keep in mind (maybe you already are aware of this, in which case I apologize) that the English broadcast only lasts from the kick off to the final whistle in each half. Everything else: intros, interviews, half-time, etc. remains in the original Spanish...

Last edited: