Nycfc V Montreal Motm & Post-game

I haven't jumped on the #kreisout bandwagon before but holy god how do u bench mix - one of your best players - and Poku who had three assists last game? When he benched villa and mix at RBNJ I thought - okay, he's making a statement. What the hell statement was he making today?

How the hell didn't the red at NE end Grabavoys season? Or career?

Not going to read this thread. Not going to read this thread. Not going to read this thread. Shower time. Then more beer. Then not going to read this thread. Not going to read this thread. Not going to read this thread.

That lineup was a disgrace. I assumed Kreis was just dealt a crap hand in the beginning the year and had to make do. I don't know about this guy anymore though. Absolutely no reason at least Mix shouldn't be playing over Grabavoy. And leaving Poku off after last weak. Blows my mind. We were the better team after the changes. We just had to push forward too much and left ourselves open on the counter. Never mind the penalty, MTL should've scored on that break away too. Not sure how they missed.

I also am very down on Saunders after today. He really just looked horrible. I still have no idea what the hell he was doing on that first goal. He should've been easily out to smother that.

Look, it's untenable what happened today. I'm a realist. I can't believe a man who has won trophies is so gofdamned stupid as to be worse at setting up a squad than us.

That leaves me with one conclusion: the man cannot handle the pressure cooker of New York. He builds excuses into the team in anticipation of his own failure.

He's a good guy, I guess. He used to win. But to blame anyone other than him for this day is naive or obtuse or worse.

Kreis showed what he is today. He's a bitch. There's no way anyone can still defend him. We looked good on attack with players all available today. His response? To play a weakling with no positive attributes unless you count looking like a greasy-thinning-haired methhead as a positive.

Kreis fucked us. There's no way around it.

Lampard looked as expected. The man hasn't played meaningful Minutes in 6 months. He was what I'd expect in that case. Not good. Not bad. Just rusty. Probably not the best time to sub him in, honestly. Needing to push like we did, I'd have gone another route. Our coach, however, isn't governed by logic.

Eta: improved punctuation.

Last edited:
We got spammed with so many lobbed through-balls it was like watching some asshole kid play FIFA 14 online.

A bunch of crap play from kickoff, when Villa instantly kicked the ball out of play.

Even Pirlo looked mediocre stuck in that midfield.

I actually thought Lampard was subbed on at the right time. Team and fans are on a high 'cause we're back in the game after Villa converts the penalty. He had a few good moments... If Villa hadn't been offside on Lampard's long-range pass that really could have been something.

As others have said, absolutely mind-boggling starting XI.

Our boy TMac came up huge for us again, but really it was a fabulous, brilliant team goal.

Yeesh. That was a result we could not afford.

Last edited:
Kreis probably wanted to give some guys a lighter load to save them for the brutal schedule ahead.

Probably figured we beat these guys twice already, we can start a weaker line-up and win again.

He gambled and lost but I get it.
This is crazy. Sorry but this makes no sense.

IF we had mid week games then maybe. But we had a week off. We have eight days off coming up with zero travel. The ONLY player this applies to was Villa.

IF this argument made ANY sense it would have been Mix and Mullins in and Grab and Villa out with Villa coming in second half to give him rest from ASG.

This wasn't a gamble. This was ATROCIOUS decision making.

Kreis probably wanted to give some guys a lighter load to save them for the brutal schedule ahead.

Probably figured we beat these guys twice already, we can start a weaker line-up and win again.

He gambled and lost but I get it.

Im so glad your numbers dwindle every game as rational thought begins to take over this forum. When will you get it thru ur head that kreis hasnt a clue and is in over his head criticize him for once its a lot easier then perpetuating a dumb falsehood day in and day out.

Reactions: Kjbert
Indefensible. I challenge someone to defend Kreis on those decisions today. Saving players for the tough part of our schedule? We are already at a point where we can't afford to drop points to other Eastern Conference teams in the playoff hunt. But we really shouldn't be surprised. Kreis has been pulling this shit all season.

I did think it was interesting that when we were building plays out of the back, much of the time Pirlo dropped all the way back to basically a CB position. This seemed to be designed to let Iraola and Angelino get forward into a position to receive a pass, then Pirlo would move back up to CM when the play moved on, and Iraola or Angelino would drop back.

That seemed to be the playbook, anyway. MTL marked like hell which made most plans go awry. Amazing number of Pirlo's passes blocked or intercepted.

Reactions: Paul
I haven't been on the Kreis sucks bandwagon yet but after watching that performance I really don't think he knows what he's doing, he may have been a good coach at RSL but some guys just can't handle NY. It's been said here already but how do you not start Poku or Mix, especially after the way they played last game.

Is it bad that i'm hoping for a Grabavoy broken leg so we don't have to see him again this season?

That penalty was so ridiculous but if Kreis actually started our best XI i'm sure we would have seen some goals in the first half and that wouldn't have mattered.

A random fan would have done a better job managing that game

My ratings:
Saunders - 6: Made some good saves, also made a big mistake for the first goal.
Iraola - 5: Average, seemed to get forward a little more but caught out defensively again.
Hernandez - 4: Poor, why we dropped Facey for him I'll never know.
Mena - 5: Not great, but showed some flashes of quality again. Sold up the river by Hernandez today.
Angelino - 6: Defensively iffy but quality going forward. Nice assist to McNamara.
Pirlo - 6: Pretty good with the ball (as you'd expect) but didn't effect the game nearly as much as you'd want without Poku/Mix.
Jacobson - 4: Offered practically nothing going forwards or backwards.
Calle - 5: Offered pace and width but didn't see enough of the ball.
Grabavoy - 3: If it wasn't for the outcry against his selection, I wouldn't have known he played.
McNamara - 7: Not perfect, but a good hardworking performance topped off with an excellent goal and an assist.
Villa - 6: Poor until the last 20 minutes, where he came alive. Clearly frustrated and should have passed more. Added another goal to his season tally.
Poku, Mix, Lampard - N/A: Didn't get enough time.

Positives from the game:
- Another goal for Villa
- Another great goal for TMac
- Angelino looked good once again
- Mena, despite his flaws, clearly has talent
- Iraola slowly starting to get in to games offensively
- With our best players on the pitch, we can be really dangerous

Negatives:
- Grabavoy
- We still can't defend for shit
- Grabavoy
- Kreis' decision to drop Facey, Poku and Mix for Grabavoy, Hernandez and Jacobson
- Our dumb ass high line against Oduro and Piatti
- Pirlo's set pieces were surprisingly poor
- Playing Lampard that deep is not getting the best out of him, he's a goalscorer, get him near the goal!
- The ref's a *****
- Grabavoy again

A note on "#KreisOut"
There is no way you can sack Kreis now.
He took over a side with no players. He had to bring in an entire squad over the course of a few months.
He has had to play the first 2/3 of the season with only one of his 3 DPs. You can question (I certainly do) his persistence in selecting his RSL veterans Wingert and Grabavoy. I know, to us, it may seem that they have proved nothing and don't deserve a place in the roster, but remember these were key players for Kreis at RSL, where they managed to win the MLS cup. Is it any wonder that he trusts these guys?
And besides, picking a player isn't a sack-able offence. Even if he picked Grabavoy every game for the rest of the season it wouldn't be grounds to fire him, sorry guys.

You can't sack a manager after 1 year having taken up such a difficult job IMO. Give him time, give him a year with all 3 DPs and a more refined roster. If he continues to fail then he'll be done for. The abuse he gets is too much, we don't want to be a trigger happy club sacking managers left, right and centre; that's what Serie A is for. Everyone on here is a manager, but Kreis has credentials. I don't agree with what he's done in the past or what he did today but it's very easy to say these things in hindsight.

And don't accuse me of just defending Kreis. I'm not. His decisions have been, to put it kindly, baffling. He (and we) need to improve ASAP but I have ALWAYS been an advocate of giving managers time. I also think CFG share this view, they've given Pellegrini (Manchester City) and Van't Schip (Melbourne City) time to prove themselves.

Inexcusable game by Kreis.

Calle is overrated and leaves huge holes in the midfield, providing less going forward than other options, and picking up stupid fouls that'll eventually cost us.

Grabavoy is our worst midfield player but still gets the start.

And Facey oh as been our best defender all year, but rides pine?

What is he thinking??!?

Oh man wake up this morning to see this result.

I'm like most others and scratching my head that poku or mix don't start. At least one of them should be.

Positives

- ; McNamara goal was really nice though. Angelino is a great player and nycfc will miss him. McNamara is an unsung hero as well.

- the field looked much better today....

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
I'm fine with T-Mac and Calle starting. Calle wasn't his best but that's ok, he made some contributions. I just can't understand why Grabavoy continues to get minutes. Every other player has been punished for bad performances except for him. The only time he's been benched is when he got hurt. Why does he have such high standing with Kreis? It's a mystery we'll never solve.

Did Facey really need a game off?

Grabavoy is not a friggin starter. Jesus already.

Hernandez was overmatched big time in this game. Looked like an ametuer.

Villa looked gased.

Still waiting for Iraola to impress me.

Nobody made runs off the ball.

Mix & Poku off the bench...why?

Except for one 1v1, Calle was bad.

Mena looks promising.

FF had two decent opportunities to shoot but he passed it off.

Thought Mullins would have been very helpful up top today.

If Mac gets some more confidence he can be really good in this league.

Saturday day games are stupid.

Did roxfontaine make some changes? SG seemed a little more organized. Kudos to them with the heat.

We definitely reverted back to some old ways and that old way is JK trying to be clever with his personnel decisions. Don't change what works. Simple fact is the team plays bad when Grabavoy is on the pitch and looks like a different team when he comes off. Idk about JK's deal with Poku. Just start the f'n guy. If he's playing well keep him for 90. If he slows down, sub him. I just don't understand...if Pirlo is gonna play 90 and he's anchoring the team, he had nice chemistry with Poku and then Mix later on when he came in last week. Who wouldn't start them to try to continue that chemistry?

Turns out we beat MTL on possession 58%-42%, passing accuracy 82%-76%, and aerial success 67%-33%.

If we could learn how to defend a through ball we might have a chance against this team.