Nycfc V New England Revolution - Post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh. Don't even care. Had a great time at the last match with the HoO crew. Won an awesome NYCFC Taxi sign. We pulled 34k tonight. I think our seasons average should be in the 28k area which is amazing. On to next year.

Well that was a pretty appropriate way to end the season.

The game and the crowd were pretty subdued - had a very "end of season, nothing to play for" type feel to it.

Team needs an overhaul - new defence needed, new blood up front. None of the DPs impressed me today, Lampard was fairly anonymous, Villa blew hot and cold, Pirlo didn't seem to be trying hard enough.

Very little cohesion between the units - defence were passing it around amongst themselves, midfield didnt have much of a clue, up front nothing much to shout about.

I'm not even sure what was to blame for what was a pretty shitty performance, I think it has to be the tactics, therefore the coach. Team were spread so wide, no one in attack had any support, or people to pass to. Any time we won the ball back (which wasn't very often) the person being passed to wasn't ready for the ball to come to them. Far too often we passed the ball to nowhere and New England picked it up and just ran through us.

Only pass marks today were (intermittently) RJ and TMac, first 30 minutes of Jacobson and Poku who, when he came on, was the only player to show a bit of drive. Everyone else can do one.
Did we go to the same match? I thought the crowd was totally into it. Lots of noise from the supporters' section and the rest of the crowd making noise too.

We had a lot of near misses and could have easily scored 4 or 5. We only needed about and extra 18" or so. TMac's ball sliding past the post early on, Two headers from I think Wingert, Lampard hitting the crossbar, and that's just off the top of my head. All four of those only needed to be three or four inches closer each and we'd have been way ahead.

Pirlo and Lampard were connecting all over the place, and Villa was just incredible dribbling around people. Villa couldn't seem to find the goal but he wasn't moping around at all as it was nobody's fault but his own. So half amazing for him and half so-so.

I think if anything the disconnect you mention between the offense and defense is largely due to Mix not being in there. He and Pirlo connect the two halves, and having Mix missing was a lot of what wasn't working. And as for Pirlo, he kept turning up in unexpected places as a defender, breaking up a few key plays.

So, third deck open, the rest of the stadium filled and enjoying the game, and the game itself vastly entertaining and could have easily gone the other way. Yeah, we didn't win, but I think a good time was had by all.

This weekend I randomly bought my three year old some figurine toy with a parachute at some retro toy store, and we have been outside throwing it up in the air non-stop all weekend. How cool to be able to see his excitement when the real-life parachute folks happened to be featured before the game. I was all good after that.

Did we go to the same match? I thought the crowd was totally into it. Lots of noise from the supporters' section and the rest of the crowd making noise too.

We had a lot of near misses and could have easily scored 4 or 5. We only needed about and extra 18" or so. TMac's ball sliding past the post early on, Two headers from I think Wingert, Lampard hitting the crossbar, and that's just off the top of my head. All four of those only needed to be three or four inches closer each and we'd have been way ahead.

Pirlo and Lampard were connecting all over the place, and Villa was just incredible dribbling around people. Villa couldn't seem to find the goal but he wasn't moping around at all as it was nobody's fault but his own. So half amazing for him and half so-so.

I think if anything the disconnect you mention between the offense and defense is largely due to Mix not being in there. He and Pirlo connect the two halves, and having Mix missing was a lot of what wasn't working. And as for Pirlo, he kept turning up in unexpected places as a defender, breaking up a few key plays.

So, third deck open, the rest of the stadium filled and enjoying the game, and the game itself vastly entertaining and could have easily gone the other way. Yeah, we didn't win, but I think a good time was had by all.
The supporters section is always good (on a semi-related note, i dislike the term "supporters section" - it implies that is where the fans sit and the rest of us are just "spectators" or worse... "consumers"...).

I agree we could have done with Mix in there. Good luck to you though, if you're going to be happy turning up to games and losing by a couple of goals while having "close chances". That, for me, is a sign of a team not playing well enough.

Look at the stats - we had more shots than they did, about the same on target. They took their chances and we didn't. That's why we got gubbed.

I think this game epitomized our season...
- One of the West Point parachuters took a chunk out of the field when he landed (He will hear complaints from Mark Teixeira). Another couldn't even land in the stadium, so only four of the five made it to the field.
- We attacked towards the supporters in the first half, which is never as fun as attacking in the second.
- That Pirlo ball to Lampard which hit the post. That New England goal that hit the post and went in. Pretty sure this was the first time the post went against us.
- Villa looked completely dead at halftime walking into the tunnel, head down. In the 78' he just kicks the ball into the stands when he can't save it. Mullins throws his arms in the air like what the fuck dude.
- We finally get a PK call in the 91 and Villa converts, the stadium erupts because what else can we be happy about. They played Levels by Avicii at the end of the game which they played after we beat NE in the first home match. NYCFC knows we won the match, fuck the score. We ended the season on three straight losses to teams we've beaten in the past. CFG doesn't know what the word playoffs are yet.
- Why is Villa the captain? Sure he's the first signing and Spanish superstar, but he's too emotional and its most negative and he can't speak English. If our captain spoke fluent English, Lampard wouldn't have had to translate. I'm sorry but this is America, we play in MLS, our thank you to the fans speeches shouldn't be in Spanish. This isn't Chivas USA. Everyone in the stadium knows English, not everyone knows Spanish. Where were all those English lessons, Villa? Mix should be the captain, if only he didn't get the bug today.
- Wasn't selected for the shirt off our backs and I'm okay with that because Mix was even in the Bronx and Mix is my main man and would have only wanted his shirt. Hopefully he pays me back on the first home match in 2016 with his jersey and a HAT TRICK!

- One thing I didn't understand about the game though. 1 minute of stoppage time in the first half. 2 minutes in the second half. There was at least five minutes of delays in the first and at least four minutes of delays in the second. I get the score stood at 2-0 going in the 45' and 3-0 going into the 90' but you play the whole game, you don't cut it early. Fuck the ref.

- Since the fans near the tunnel couldn't get any of the jerseys, they needed to get something else. So, Frank Lampard took off his boots and gave it to fans. So did Poku. Villa gave the kid next to me his captain's armband and signed it. The kid also got a signed boot from Lamps. (I'd uber jealous of him). Autographs all around, though no balls came our way.

- I was applauding all the staff that walked off the field. When Kreis walked over I applauded him too, he was clapping at the fans. As he walks down the tunnel, I scream "Next year, we want the cup!"

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR.

In the meantime, glad to spend the offseason with all of you discussing the following, but not limited to...
- Please don't let the Red Bulls win the MLS Cup. Please god, be merciful.
- Kreis. Kreis! Kreis?
- Those dope (or shit) new away jersey and other on field apparel.
- The Roster: Cuts, Waives, Signings, Draftees, Loans, & more.
- Indiana Jones & The Search for the NYCFC Stadium
- WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T I GET MY BACKPACK/MESSENGER BAG YET?
- When will tickets arrive? Why isn't there a scarf?

Last edited:
Also, what was up with all those short corners? Another genius Kreis tactic? Because they achieved the square root of feck all.
Their huge in MLS right now. I saw a ton if them today in various games. Dumbest tactic I've ever seen.

Reactions: Fantazma
Also, what was up with all those short corners? Another genius Kreis tactic? Because they achieved the square root of feck all.

Because when you have one of the best long ball/set piece deliverers in the game, you want him to pass the ball five feet to another player. Shocking.

Reactions: 21Architect
Can't criticize that too much. Better than straight out for the other team's throw.

The supporters section is always good (on a semi-related note, i dislike the term "supporters section" - it implies that is where the fans sit and the rest of us are just "spectators" or worse... "consumers"...).

I agree we could have done with Mix in there. Good luck to you though, if you're going to be happy turning up to games and losing by a couple of goals while having "close chances". That, for me, is a sign of a team not playing well enough.

Look at the stats - we had more shots than they did, about the same on target. They took their chances and we didn't. That's why we got gubbed.

Charlie Davies is a professional striker. He worked over our backline. And Kylie's brother may not have been marked his entire time in NYC unless they flew commercial.

Apparently Villa summed it up at the end of the game in Spanish. Spanish speakers have said that he said something to the effect of, "I'm just as disappointed as you are with the performances this year. We even managed to lose our last game in front of everyone."

If that's what he really said, I'd prefer if our Captain didn't say stuff like that. We need a Captain who doesn't look/sound frustrated more often than not.

Frustration is not a good leadership quality.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Status
Not open for further replies.