Nycfc V Philly Motm & Post-match

Two weeks in a row we have seen the midfielders playing defense in our own corner. Mix against Houston and T Mac against Philly. That is really not the optimum use of our attacking players. brandt must be the worst player on the planet to not be able to beat out wingert for LB.
Or he's just a player without an RSL pedigree.
Now Wingert is the worse player in the planet? Wow. You guys really jump in outlandish comments.

My guess is that Wingert did benefit from having Beckerman and Borchers near him as opposed to Hernandez, AJ and Poku. However I doubt a starter on a good team is the worst player on the planet or not better than Brandt.

Reactions: Kjbert
Now Wingert is the worse player in the planet? Wow. You guys really jump in outlandish comments.

My guess is that Wingert did benefit from having Beckerman and Borchers near him as opposed to Hernandez, AJ and Poku. However I doubt a starter on a good team is the worst player on the planet or not better than Brandt.
He doesn't look injured to you when you watch him play?

Reactions: Gavin23

Maybe Kreis benefited from having Beckerman and Borchers on the field and Lagerway in the front office?

I think Wingert has looked a bit slow all season. He was an above average MLS defender for years and now he's just a step slow -- most likely from age. I just think he's past his prime. Is there a better LB on this team? Hopefully Calle but we haven't seen him in weeks.

Edit: I think Kreis tried to mask Wingert's lack of speed by playing him at CB instead of LB to start the season but that obviously didn't work.

I think Wingert has looked a bit slow all season. He was an above average MLS defender for years and now he's just a step slow -- most likely from age. I just think he's past his prime. Is there a better LB on this team? Hopefully Calle but we haven't seen him in weeks.

Wingert btw is an AWESOME guy. Great teammate and an awesome guy. Maybe it's time he joins the staff though.

He's certainly lost a step. Easier to hide if you have a good partner at CB (I think he has that in Hernandez). Tougher to hide at LB right now. He gets beat a lot and in the last two games, Facey has done a TON to cover up Wingert's mistakes. Facey has been awesome.

Time for Brandt. Why not?

Reactions: Paul
Wingert btw is an AWESOME guy. Great teammate and an awesome guy. Maybe it's time he joins the staff though.

He's certainly lost a step. Easier to hide if you have a good partner at CB (I think he has that in Hernandez). Tougher to hide at LB right now. He gets beat a lot and in the last two games, Facey has done a TON to cover up Wingert's mistakes. Facey has been awesome.

Time for Brandt. Why not?
A step slower for sure. Wingert joining the technical staff? Not so sure. I think we all agree that Calle was the potential to replace Wingert. I'm not convinced anyone else on the roster would do better.

A step slower for sure. Wingert joining the technical staff? Not so sure. I think we all agree that Calle was the potential to replace Wingert. I'm not convinced anyone else on the roster would do better.

Only way to find out is to try him.

Brandt isn't ready for LB yet. He was a LW/ST during his college career and got moved at the combine to LB. He's got a lot to learn before we give him a start

Reactions: MagnusPax
I think that's our only option. But all Calle is going to provide is more speed. He lacks the familiarity with the position. Everyone complains about Kreis playing people out of position but want Calle at LB.
he pushes up a lot more so you'll still need your midfielders back to help out just as much.

I think that's our only option. But all Calle is going to provide is more speed. He lacks the familiarity with the position. Everyone complains about Kreis playing people out of position but want Calle at LB.
he pushes up a lot more so you'll still need your midfielders back to help out just as much.

Chances we ever see Calle in an NYCFC jersey again? 50/50?

I think he's legitimately hurt. He pulled his hamstring. That's a nagging injury if you don't lay off for a while.

Can we get a match thread going for 6/13 Montreal?

Reactions: The Toe
William. Actually I said "I'm not sure he's ready " as in I was expressing my doubts he was ready for upper end EPL. Don't see him breaking into the Man City team any time soon or at all just wasn't sure if they'd keep him with us longer or want to move him on to say Leicester or Watford etc. at some point.

Sorry I thought you were saying he is ready.

If Shay settles down with NYC then I am sure City will be happy for him to stay a while.

They have more to gain by him being successful here than somewhere else in England.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
Sorry I thought you were saying he is ready.

If Shay settles down with NYC then I am sure City will be happy for him to stay a while.

They have more to gain by him being successful here than somewhere else in England.

Unless they think he has outgrown MLS and isn't a CB. If he can get regular first team minutes as a RB for Watford or Middlesborough, he's best served in England in the long run.

Unless they think he has outgrown MLS and isn't a CB. If he can get regular first team minutes as a RB for Watford or Middlesborough, he's best served in England in the long run.

Shay has no future as a player at City

There are simply better and younger players coming through

Therefore he has to decide what is the best way to continue his career. Is it in the MLS for now or trying his luck somewhere else in England.

There will be no benefit for City if he joins another English club, so I would say they would be happy to see him stay here.

It will be up to Shay to decide his future after this season.

Shay has no future as a player at City

There are simply better and younger players coming through

Therefore he has to decide what is the best way to continue his career. Is it in the MLS for now or trying his luck somewhere else in England.

There will be no benefit for City if he joins another English club, so I would say they would be happy to see him stay here.

It will be up to Shay to decide his future after this season.
And that decision is coming up in a matter of weeks.