NYCFC Website

Buckley

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
516/845
Will they ever change the format of their website to make it like every single other MLS team? I really don't like the layout they have now.

It still seems ManCity-centric, but I think that will change with time as the club gets more data.

Format is bleh.

Why do all the other sites have the same skin/format? Not very creative is it. Who's the provider of this template is it MLS? Don't know whether its the case now but it was/is the same for English Football League clubs across all three divisions. Wonder if its a contractual timing issue or NYCFC simply exercised an option not to use the same skin. Orlando are using a USL template still being members of that league at the moment.

Don't see any issue with it being like the MCFC site. That's one of the best sports sites out there proved by awards in the past.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
I'd put money that they keep it within that format as that is the format of CFG. Unless MLS requires teams to use the templates, which if they do, there is a reason for it Vinjay Vinjay . It's because of advertising. Uniform websites make advertising league sponsors on each webpage easier.

I believe MLS uses the same company that does the MLB websites, so thats why they look similar. No idea how much longer they will enforce this.

Speaking as web designer who works on sites everyday, I can tell you that both sites are terrible. MLS's format is worse in my opinion. The issue right with the current NYCFC site is content. Nothing really there yet.

Reactions: Section1Guy
Yea I don't care what the site looks like at all, but you would think they'd add some stuff to it. Content drives an audience. I'd be putting stuff up all the time. Even if its crap.

The NYC MCFC fan club stuff needs to go ASAP. They're A) killing themselves and B) shitting on the Third Rail.

Don't quite understand what you mean?

Are you indicating they should stop referencing MCFC on the NYCFC website or that there is a supporters group that is closely tied to MCFC that should stop operating?

The latter I would understand, but the former will not happen, as NYCFC and MCFC are closely tied, which is why you see quite a bit of NYCFC content on MCFC's website.

Also, MCFC's website has won design awards every year since it's current iteration was unveiled–I'm not sure why people think it to be awful.

I absolutely agree that they need to create and distribute more regular content, though.

Don't quite understand what you mean?

Are you indicating they should stop referencing MCFC on the NYCFC website or that there is a supporters group that is closely tied to MCFC that should stop operating?

The latter I would understand, but the former will not happen, as NYCFC and MCFC are closely tied, which is why you see quite a bit of NYCFC content on MCFC's website.

Also, MCFC's website has won design awards every year since it's current iteration was unveiled–I'm not sure why people think it to be awful.

I absolutely agree that they need to create and distribute more regular content, though.

If you click on "Fans" it's a link to the Manchester City supporters, not NYCFC. That's what I'm talking about.

Reactions: einwindir
If you click on "Fans" it's a link to the Manchester City supporters, not NYCFC. That's what I'm talking about.
Yeah. That's kinda lame. To be honest, when they first rolled out the site and I saw that, it kinda turned me off. The ManC thing came off way too forced between the initial commercial and all the Mad Hatter talk on the Supporter page. Took about two days to get over though, they're still NYC. And that's good enough for me.

Yeah thats bullshit. They have one large supporters groups and smaller ones, and yet they point out the MCFC fans.

Yeah, they should definitely revamp the fan section (nycfc.com/fans).
Here are a few things I'd like to see:

• Link to nycfcforums.com and thirdrailnyc.com instead of mcfcnyc.org
  • Introductory interview with the head honchos of the Third Rail, as an embedded YouTube clip, shot in Yankees Stadium and with some fun footage of NYCFC supporter gatherings, e.g. during the World Cup (preferably USMNT matches)
  • A calendar for upcoming events
  • A supporter pictures gallery
  • Some contests to win merch

Last edited:
Reactions: einwindir and Gene
Edit\

Sorry, I just realized this post could be a spoiler so I better delete it. :confused:

Last edited:
just saw this morning the club is in the process of moving over to the MLS style website...

Reactions: einwindir
Ugh, I hope not. The MLS style is so bland and generic. It's like the style of website you often see in the UK where football teams haven't got the time or money to build their own websites so they just use a template design where the work has already been done for them and they just have to write the content (i.e. http://www.leytonorient.com/)

Ugh, I hope not. The MLS style is so bland and generic. It's like the style of website you often see in the UK where football teams haven't got the time or money to build their own websites so they just use a template design where the work has already been done for them and they just have to write the content (i.e. http://www.leytonorient.com/)

I agree with you but I don't think you have much to worry about. From what I can see they have just added the MLS franchise network ribbon to the top of the site (which is important for cross-promotion and ease of navigation) and made several other tweaks. NYCFC will likely continue to use the award-winning layout and design originally developed for MCFC. I think others have a point, though, in that they need to spend more time and effort creating original content and connecting with supporters (which I think they are working on).

The MLS network ribbon has always been in the top of their site. Haven't even updated theirs as their logo isn't on it neither is orlando and the letters "ATL" like on the MLS website. The nycfc link on the MLS network ribbon on the nycfc website says "NYC" still lol.

The MLS network ribbon has always been in the top of their site. Haven't even updated theirs as their logo isn't on it neither is orlando and the letters "ATL" like on the MLS website. The nycfc link on the MLS network ribbon on the nycfc website says "NYC" still lol.

At least in my browser it was missing for quite some time and just reappeared a week ago. Might have just been an issue on my end, though. Apart from that, I stand by earlier comments. Especially after seeing the dross that is the other MLS Team websites.

Last edited: