Officiating in City vs. Chicago

The ref was playing passive-offsides here, BUT he incorrectly interpreted the application of it. Cocis makes an absolutely beautiful run that isn't offside right next to Gilberto who is offsides. Gilberto starts his run at the 6 second mark and is clearly offsides - that should have been when the whistle blew. Gilberto actually starts making a run to receive the pass and then stops when he realizes he's already offside; he was in perfect position to play the ball, which is what the defender thought was happening, until he held back at the end.
Agreed. I'm not a ref but it's my understanding that if you're offside and remove yourself from the play that's fine. But Gilberto didn't do that, he kept on coming, so to me he's still involved in the play which should have raised the flag. You can be 10 miles offside and be walking back towards your own end while the rest of the play moves forwards and that's fine. That is not at all what he was doing however.

No, that's not the one I meant. Fixed it.
wow forgot about that one. Good on accam for not diving on the tug, but the way the game was officiated, i doubt he would have got it. that was not the greatest of angles to get the shot off, but he did get a shot so i can see why no PK was called. Could have easily been called PK if he didn't get a shot off.

There is still a much much more egregious foul by hernandez that i cant believe wasn't called. It was such a bad call that i bet that's why it didnt make the highlight reel. MLS is protecting the referees reputation.

wow forgot about that one. Good on accam for not diving on the tug, but the way the game was officiated, i doubt he would have got it. that was not the greatest of angles to get the shot off, but he did get a shot so i can see why no PK was called. Could have easily been called PK if he didn't get a shot off.

There is still a much much more egregious foul by hernandez that i cant believe wasn't called. It was such a bad call that i bet that's why it didnt make the highlight reel. MLS is protecting the referees reputation.
PV needs to protect NYCFC and not play Hernandez any more.....

I don't think the referee had a good day at all, but mostly the calls seemed to even out.

Isn't this usually the case, with the best result being that enough terrible calls can sometimes negate the previous ones? Is it because we watch international football and don't see the amount of bad calls we do in MLS? My son is of the opinion that the refs are instructed to turn their heads when the UFC type fouls take place to make the sport more American (ie: throat chops, cleats to the legs, elbows to the chest). Sometimes I just have to shake my head and get in line for another beer.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Isn't this usually the case, with the best result being that enough terrible calls can sometimes negate the previous ones? Is it because we watch international football and don't see the amount of bad calls we do in MLS? My son is of the opinion that the refs are instructed to turn their heads when the UFC type fouls take place to make the sport more American (ie: throat chops, cleats to the legs, elbows to the chest). Sometimes I just have to shake my head and get in line for another beer.
In general calls do even out. But when you miss a PK, especially one that should have included a red card, that so completely changes the complexion of the game that there really isn't a way to even out. (Short of a makeup red card, which I'm not sure I can remember ever seeing.)

We should all be breathing a huge sigh of relief and praying that Hernandez either knows he only gets one mulligan on that kind of behavior or that he never sees the field again.

I finally found video of the Hernandez play. This is actually what I had labeled as the "Second Potential Penalty" above, where I said I didn't think it was a penalty because contact began outside the box.

The Hernandez play can be seen below at the 3:00 mark. Interestingly, Dunseth does not think it was a penalty, as he thinks Gilberto went down intentionally.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...rlandos-disallowed-goal-instant?autoplay=true

Last edited:
I finally found video of the Hernandez play. This is actually what I had labeled as the "Second Potential Penalty" above, where I said I didn't think it was a penalty because contact began outside the box.

The Hernandez play can be seen below at the 3:00 mark. Interestingly, Dunseth does not think it was a penalty, as he thinks Gilberto went down intentionally.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...rlandos-disallowed-goal-instant?autoplay=true

Interesting article by Vice on that very call (and officiating in general). Apparently every ref in MLS thought (after reviewing it) that it was a red.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/behind-the-scenes-of-mlss-efforts-to-improve-officiating